Quantcast
How often do you change your oil? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How often do you change your oil (on average)?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-3000km

7 4.55%
  • 3000-5000km

58 37.66%
  • 5000-10,000km

69 44.81%
  • 10,000-15,000km

4 2.60%
  • +15,000km

10 6.49%
  • What the manual/mechanic/car tells me to do

6 3.90%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you change your oil?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default How often do you change your oil?

This weekend I gave my car its second oil change (ever) at just under 19K. The first one was about the 9K mark if I recall correctly. I've always been a "two oil changes a year" type of guy, irregardless of how much driving I do: once at the start of the spring and another just before winter. My dad's been an "every 3000mi/5000km oil change" guy, but I've always thought of that as a little excessive. Maybe it's because I think it's inconvenient to do it so frequently. Maybe it's because I'm cheap. Or maybe I like to think in the last 40+ years research and development's come along enough that the old 3000mi/5000km rule of thumb our parents had no longer applies.

So I'm curious; how often do you guys (and gals) change your oil?

I'm sure some of you follow the 3000mi/5000km rule (some maybe even 3000km), others just what the manual tells you, and some neither. I was doing some Googling on the topic and found this interesting article:

Consumer Rant – Oil Change Interval

It's a lengthy read, but interesting nonetheless. I was especially surprised at the part that said different parts of the world had different suggested intervals for the same vehicle and when he sent his oil samples in for testing.

And for the record: I am not a car guy, nor do I claim to know the inner workings and mechanics of a car to any expert level.

(Waiting for BCS to post that BMW link in, 5... 4... 3... 2...)

My Ride
    08 X5

My mechanic says 10k max but my BMW oil change indicator says 20-24k... No idea what is actually right so I just go with the 10k to be safe.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

5000km, or sooner if it's dark as hell.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by Sentry
    5000km, or sooner if it's dark as hell.
    5000 always on the Z, but I could go 6000 on the Honda.

5000 seems to be too soon for the Honda.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

used to follow the 5K rule pretty religiously. since reading articles about the subject a while back, I'm now around the 10K mark per change usually.

on a completely unrelated side note irregardless.... preeeetty sure it's not a word. as it is actually a double negative making what you meant to say regarding how much driving you do?

Irregardless is an informal term meaning regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since it first appeared in the early twentieth century. Most dictionaries list it as "incorrect" or "nonstandard".

My Ride
    02' dc5

Originally posted by v2kai
    used to follow the 5K rule pretty religiously. since reading articles about the subject a while back, I'm now around the 10K mark per change usually.

on a completely unrelated side note irregardless.... preeeetty sure it's not a word. as it is actually a double negative making what you meant to say regarding how much driving you do?

Irregardless is an informal term meaning regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since it first appeared in the early twentieth century. Most dictionaries list it as "incorrect" or "nonstandard".
    Get a life and GTFO.

I follow the 5k rule most of the time but sometimes and lazy and can go up around 7

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

My manual says to change the oil every 8,000km or 4 months. I don't do that much driving so even after 4 months I'm still only around 5500-6000km so I end up still following the 5K rule.

When I had my prelude I also followed the 5K rule or 3 months, whichever came first.

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Every 5000 miles on fully synthetic, which is around 8000km (My car is in miles, so I follow miles.)

My Ride
    Lease

I've notice my oil gets dark around 5-6k... I tried going to the 8-10k mark, but when I changed it that shit disgusted me.

Where's that forum link with the BMW owner who's NEVER EVER changed his oil.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-05-2020 at 12:56 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

FYI: Oil color has nothing to do with the quality of oil. If you are using that as an indicator you may be wasting money. Obviously if it's thick and black it's been in there too long but dark brown is completely normal and a sign the oil is doing it's job.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I am pretty strict to about 5000km, last time I went to about 6000k, but I always use synthetic, it wasn't really very dark when I changed it.

I got to say that I think that 5k is excessive, but it keeps my mind at peace, so I Will keep doing it

Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

I try and stay between 5000-6000

My Ride
    4x4

Depends on what I'm doing to some extent... 95% of the time I'm going with the old 5000km/3month rule...

The rest of the time, when I'm packing on the mileage - typically I wont stress about the km's as much as the look - and often will change the filter only at 5000km; just for piece of mind...

Got the amsoil bypass oil filter setup for the toyota - will have to re-examine my thinking for that one... No intention to run synthetic in the turbo diesel, but that oil should remain clean as a whistle. Probably continue on with my cheap oil use, and 5000km/3month rules... (or in the toyota's case a change after every 4x4'ing trip that includes water).

My Ride
    '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.

My previous vehicles that were running dino-oil were getting changed every 3000-5000, and my benz gets a change every 15,000.
    Last edited by Pollywog; 04-19-2010 at 07:31 AM.

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

There is no option for the appearance interval. I change my oil on the basis of color. When my oil is a dark brown at operating temperature I change my oil. On my 99 civic I use a synthetic like Mobil 1 or syntec and I usually get 7-8k before I feel the need to change.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

I use to do it every month...Yes every month.
    Now since i have 4 cars, i have gotten really lazy and do it every 3K
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Originally posted by heavyD
    FYI: Oil color has nothing to do with the quality of oil. If you are using that as an indicator you may be wasting money. Obviously if it's thick and black it's been in there too long but dark brown is completely normal and a sign the oil is doing it's job.
    Yeah, brown, not black. If I can't see the dipstick through the oil it's probably time to change it.

I usually change it myself at around 5000km. On a side note, does anyone know of a place in the NW that offers Royal Purple?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Default Re: How often do you change your oil?

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

(Waiting for BCS to post that BMW link in, 5... 4... 3... 2...)
    Well, you don't drive a BMW, now do you? So I guess you're stuck doing oil changes like the rest of us plebs.

For me, I mostly go by the factory service manual, which recommends every 12,000km on dino oil. So, I generally do it whenever I have time between 10,000 and 12,000km.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast