Thread: Apples next iPhone surfaced.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Originally posted by ICEBERG
    Apple want's the phone back...

and now they have two months to redesign it lol

My Ride
    This and that.

I read somewhere that Apple paid Gizmodo $10K to have it back.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

Originally posted by shakalaka
    I read somewhere that Apple paid Gizmodo $10K to have it back.
    Gizmodo paid 10k to the person that found it.

My Ride
    This and that.

Oh okay, something about the 10K anyway. lol

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Originally posted by Zephyr

Gizmodo paid 10k to the person that found it.
    No, they paid 5.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

So hold up, they paid someone who found it.........and they know who owns it, Yet they proceed to take it apart.............

Is this not theft?
    I mean I'm pretty sure if I "found" a car on the street and decided to take it apart the law wouldn't protect me.

I smell something that smells like Winnipeg here.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

i dont think this iphone has a actual "registration" like a vehicle. If someone picked up ur watch, what proof do you have that the watch is yours.

obviously the phone doesnt belong to whomever found it. but its very easy for that guy to make a fortune by selling it to another competitor and such.

hence 5 or 10grand to buy it back is a cheap price to pay on apples end. If i was the guy who found it 10grand they can buy the case back
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    X100 | A80

Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
    i dont think this iphone has a actual "registration" like a vehicle. If someone picked up ur watch, what proof do you have that the watch is yours.

obviously the phone doesnt belong to whomever found it. but its very easy for that guy to make a fortune by selling it to another competitor and such.

hence 5 or 10grand to buy it back is a cheap price to pay on apples end. If i was the guy who found it 10grand they can buy the case back
    I'm sure apple has a list of the serial numbers of all the xxGB prototype iphones running around as I'm sure apple just gave them out. So really it is still apples iphone, and they could easily prove it.
    Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I think you missed the part in the article saying they knew who the owner was.

They bought an item with full knowledge that the seller was not the owner. Then they stripped it down and after they were done with it contacted the owner.

Did i miss something? Cause that sure as hell sounds shady to me.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

oh please, in this day and age, when everyone is out for a quick buck, and gone are the days of morals, you all know you would gladly hand over anything you find on the streets for cash.

meh, whatever. If they didn't want it to get out, they would never have left the labs they were designed in.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, you missed the part where the guy that found it, as well as Gizmodo BOTH tried to report it to Apple as found. They even got a support ticket for it. There were attempts made at trying to contact the rightful owner, but they were ignored.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Just FYI, Gizmodo is willing to play ball with Apple:

Here's my reply:

Bruce, thanks.
    Here's Jason Chen, who has the iPhone. And here's his address. You two should coordinate a time.
    [Blah Blah Blah Address]
    Happy to have you pick this thing up. Was burning a hole in our pockets. Just so you know, we didn't know this was stolen [as they might have claimed. meaning, real and truly from Apple. It was found, and to be of unproven origin] when we bought it. Now that we definitely know it's not some knockoff, and it really is Apple's, I'm happy to see it returned to its rightful owner.
    P.S. I hope you take it easy on the kid who lost it. I don't think he loves anything more than Apple.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Serial numbers. How do you prove you own anything?

I don't know about you, but my insurance company knows about the serial number of my watch...

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by benyl

Serial numbers. How do you prove you own anything?

I don't know about you, but my insurance company knows about the serial number of my watch...
    I don't know many people that actually do and the person you're quoting obviously doesn't.

hmm i think i didnt make it clear what i was trying to get at.

someone said that selling or taking apart a 'found' phone is considered theft. That is not the case. There could be people claiming its their property but it is still not called theft since there was no intention of taking someones property knowing it is still in possession of the owner.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

hmm i think i didnt make it clear what i was trying to get at.

someone said that selling or taking apart a 'found' phone is considered theft. That is not the case. There could be people claiming its their property but it is still not called theft since there was no intention of taking someones property knowing it is still in possession of the owner.
    I said it was theft, the way I understood the article before rage clarified was that the guy who found it as well as gizmodo knew who the owner was.
    Yet it was still sold and disassembled knowing full well that neither of them owned the phone.

Rage also mentioned that they tried contacting the owner but received no response,i missed that the first time I read the article.

I will still conclude it seems shady to me but I re read the article with all the additions and it amazes me how detailed the account of this matter is. All the way from a random drink guy finding the phone, to him giving it to the guy who found it, to him trying to use it.

The guy who lost it should have said aliens picked it up and dropped it at the bar.
    Last edited by Kavy; 04-21-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Originally posted by rage2
    Yea, you missed the part where the guy that found it, as well as Gizmodo BOTH tried to report it to Apple as found. They even got a support ticket for it. There were attempts made at trying to contact the rightful owner, but they were ignored.
    The rightful owner? Who was it anyway? The guy is probably pretending he still has the phone so Jobs won't figure out who fucked up and lost the test unit.

Originally posted by derpderp

The rightful owner? Who was it anyway? The guy is probably pretending he still has the phone so Jobs won't figure out who fucked up and lost the test unit.
    Whoever it was it probably high up enough to not get fired. Probably just lost a chunk of his bonus at worst. This isn't exactly bad viral advertising anyways.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Great marketing campaign for Apple. They "lose" a prototype and get 7 million hits one one site alone regarding the story. Freakin' genious.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    This and that.

I for one actually don't see how Apple has any advantage or how any of this is beneficial for them. They have no shortage of publicity or have problems with getting their products out there. Especially where they stand as of today. They announce the main event, where they introduce their new products and the whole market goes haywire. They have no problems with advertising their products what so ever imo.

If anything this whole fiasco actually has been detrimental to them. The sales of iPhone 3gs would have most probably has come to a stand still, or at least suffered greatly. Since people know that a 4G will be released soon, no one is gonna be buying the older one's. And for the people who can't wait the two months or whatever till it's release will prolly look for other high end phones like Android since they already know buying a 3gs would become 'old news' and it won't really be anything 'new' soon enough. The best thing for Apple to do here imo would be to, if possible, release the 4g as soon as they can, instead of waiting till the originally planned time. It'll be interesting to see what their next move will be, if they decide to do anything differently.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast