Quantcast
Living Outside Calgary - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Living Outside Calgary

My Ride
    2008 Ford Edge

Okotoks is a great place to live. The commute is highly dependent on where you work. To get to the Foothills Industrial Park takes 20 minutes, to get to Shawnessey takes less than 15 minutes - it's a shorter commute than from many areas of Calgary. Plus it's very rare that you end up in bumper to bumper traffic on the Deerfoot (Barlow is another story though - you'll be in that crap no matter where you're commuting from). Plus most of the commute is at 120kmh or faster.

Just don't live on the south side of Okotoks (Cimmarron, Westmount, etc...) - the commute through town is terrible with a dozen set of lights to go through that aren't timed at all. Stick with one of Crystal areas or Drake Landing and you'll shave at least 10 minutes off your commute both ways. If you live there and work downtown, the first light you hit is at Memorial and Deerfoot. I'd guess there's few, if any, areas of Calgary that can boast the same.

The town has tons of retail development with a lot more coming. It has pretty much every fast food chain, 4 grocery stores, good sit-down restaurants (including a Cora's), Home Depot, Costco on the way, couple of golf courses, great schools, and nice people.

This comes from living in langdon....

Lot sizes approx 60% larger than Calgary.

Electrical and Natural Gas costs near identical to Calgary.

Water cost slightly higher.

Highspeed Internet clears 10mbps.

Commute to Calgary is approx 10 mins to the city limits.

Property taxes are fairly similar with the exception the house we have here is much bigger than the same in calgary.

The crime rate is well next to nothing.

Lastly the house we have is around $450,000 and in Calgary the same size house, build, etc, in calgary would easily be $600,000+ and that's if you could find the lot available to fit one this size on.

Also they do have noise bylaws outside of Calgary so don't listen to the silly thread up top. The actual bylaws state that you can make noise from 7am to 10pm but the noise should not be intentionally create problems for other people living in the community.

It's really a bylaw for people to be respective of each other and I think it rarely gets called into effect. We've had to call the RCMP ones regarding it and they seemed really confused lol.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Originally posted by e31
    Living outside Calgary is great.

- No freaking watchtower people (mormons)

For the record, Jehovah's Witness are the watchtower people.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by JfuckinC

Cabs 40 bucks usually, drive to get the hoopty isnt bad, trust me i do this 2-3 times a week. i wont lie im looking at buying a place and i am CONSIDERING a condo because it would be nice to not have to do this as an avid partier. but if i get a house it'll prob be in chesty.
    It's a $38 cab ride to rocky ridge, so I highly doubt you can make Airdrie/Okotoks in $40.

In fact according to http://calgary.taxime.ca (which had 17th to Rocky Ridge at $39) it is $68 to the centre of airdrie, $77 to Okotoks or $79 to Langdon. Plus tip.

You're getting up near 90 freaking dollars for a cab ride home. Have fun with that!

Langdon has finally put something together that is remotely habitable. Other than all of the dull-looking clone houses, the community has really come together in the last 5 years. All it really took was a gas station, a couple restraunts, and a school.

I thought it was the shittiest place to live for a long time, but then again if you live there, you can spray luminol on your siding at night and be thankful that you have the Mikkelsen's as your neighbors to the north.

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

Communities that far out are a good place to raise kids, but otherwise I don't see the benefit...

I live in Parkdale, its just as quiet as the suburbs, a block from the river and I can ride my bike to work in 25 min to the middle of downtown.

I'd also rather move to a shack in the mountains and trap my food than spend 2 hours commuting a day during the winter.

Originally posted by bspot

It's a $38 cab ride to rocky ridge, so I highly doubt you can make Airdrie/Okotoks in $40.

In fact according to http://calgary.taxime.ca (which had 17th to Rocky Ridge at $39) it is $68 to the centre of airdrie, $77 to Okotoks or $79 to Langdon. Plus tip.

You're getting up near 90 freaking dollars for a cab ride home. Have fun with that!
    I took a cab from Calgary to Airdrie for $40 I think they have flat rate service

its only 30km from my place to work in downtown

I live in Crossfield, north of Airdrie, and drive to Canyon Meadows every day.

Takes 40-45 minutes, all the way down deerfoot
    I leave at 6:00 am for work and 4:00 pm to go home

Property is taxed less, utilities are about the same, however I also have a 50x150 lot with a split level 2 car detached garage.
    3 bedrooms
    2 full baths

I paid alot less then what it is valued at now. However no where can I get the same thing in Airdrie or Calgary without going into the hole even more.
    The commute is not bad, but the town closes EVERYTHING at 10:00pm

I live here because traffic in airdrie was getting shitty, as well it is much more peacefull here.

The local peace officer is a keaner jackass, so that may keep you away.
    Actual Email to tech support

"Any instructions? Some of our Site IT folks aren't technical."

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

You're really planning on continuing this argument? This is your reason why you wouldn't live outside Calgary?

Carpool, DD, obviously numerous options available, but really who cares. I'm assuming you're the one living in a 600 sqft downtown condo and you love it?

Personally, I'd much rather have a 1/2 acre lot, larger house. Again though, it all comes down to personal opinion... I just don't think a person shouldn't consider living outside of the city for your reason.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by project240

You're really planning on continuing this argument? This is your reason why you wouldn't live outside Calgary?

Carpool, DD, obviously numerous options available, but really who cares. I'm assuming you're the one living in a 600 sqft downtown condo and you love it?

Personally, I'd much rather have a 1/2 acre lot, larger house. Again though, it all comes down to personal opinion... I just don't think a person shouldn't consider living outside of the city for your reason.
    Try a 2 story house on a 50'x120' lot 1km from downtown in a quiet neighbourhood with zero traffic on my street besides the people that live on it.

Yes. I love it.

I used to live in Rocky Ridge and thought nothing of driving 20 minutes to get anywhere. The 40-45minute trip home started getting to me. Having to get into my car to go pick up milk was annoying as hell. After moving, I realize how shitty it actually was, it's just I was used to eating up a huge chunk of my day in traffic.

Now I can ride my bike faster to work than I could drive and park. Snowy days are no longer 2 hour commutes (this seriously happened several times when I lived way NW). I hop on the train and I'm downtown in one stop. For days when the roads are good and I don't want to squeeze on a crowded train? I've never not gotten a seat on the bus. Hell if I wasn't lazy I'd walk.

I don't miss an accident or construction always wrecking my day. It's great.

Even if you want to raise a family there are so many neighborhoods in a reasonable distance from downtown (30km is NOT reasonable) that don't kill your quality of life. What's so bad about a nicely renovated 1300 1950's bungalow just a few kilometers up the hill from downtown? There are no bums up there, lots of schools, big yards, its safe for your kids... why does everyone need 2000sq feet now?

Have fun selling your places if gas prices ever go crazy again (which they will)

My Ride
    G6

I live right outside downtown, walk to work, walk everywhere. Would I ever give that up to live out in the middle of NOWHERE? Heck no!

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Try a 2 story house on a 50'x120' lot 1km from downtown in a quiet neighbourhood with zero traffic on my street besides the people that live on it.

Yes. I love it.

I used to live in Rocky Ridge and thought nothing of driving 20 minutes to get anywhere. The 40-45minute trip home started getting to me. Having to get into my car to go pick up milk was annoying as hell. After moving, I realize how shitty it actually was, it's just I was used to eating up a huge chunk of my day in traffic.

Now I can ride my bike faster to work than I could drive and park. Snowy days are no longer 2 hour commutes (this seriously happened several times when I lived way NW). I hop on the train and I'm downtown in one stop. For days when the roads are good and I don't want to squeeze on a crowded train? I've never not gotten a seat on the bus. Hell if I wasn't lazy I'd walk.

I don't miss an accident or construction always wrecking my day. It's great.

Even if you want to raise a family there are so many neighborhoods in a reasonable distance from downtown (30km is NOT reasonable) that don't kill your quality of life. What's so bad about a nicely renovated 1300 1950's bungalow just a few kilometers up the hill from downtown? There are no bums up there, lots of schools, big yards, its safe for your kids... why does everyone need 2000sq feet now?

Have fun selling your places if gas prices ever go crazy again (which they will)

Again, personal preference... Needs vs. Wants. I currently live in the NW and work throughout the city, but am slowing transitioning to just working from home. Once that happens, I'd gladly take a quieter location outside of Calgary with larger homes and lots.

With that being said, I'd shoot myself if I had a 40 minute commute each way every day. I almost never drive during peak times and still sometimes takes me 20 minutes, which is bad enough.

For some the "small town", more relaxed feel is enough to make up for the increased commute time.

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Last edited by derpderp; 05-28-2011 at 04:51 PM.

My Ride
    Depends on my mood...

I don't mind living in Airdrie, but it suits my lifestyle. I work near the Airport and my wife works near the Deerfoot Outlet Mall, so it works great for us - all things considered. We've already agreed that our next home will be on an acreage as that will suit our hobbies more.

I agree with derpderp. I moved to Airdrie 6 years ago and the small town feel disappeared not long after moving in. I still remember rescuing friends living in Airdrie back when I was in high school because I was one of the lucky few with transportation.

The reality is by the time your kids grow up, Airdrie will be a MUCH larger place, and Calgary will be a hell of a lot closer.

What I fail to see is the difference between living in an 'urbanized' small-town and living in one of Calgary suburban communities...

Hmmm... cookie cutter houses, Walmart, Superstore, Canadian Tire, Home Depot... etc, etc, etc ... it's all the same.

People in Airdrie, Cochrane, etc almost all work in Calgary somewhere, as do those living in the far edge communities...

You pay almost the same amount for a home too... yet you're far away from the city... and always in the city to boot.

I fail to see the value in these bedroom communities.

I am moving to a smaller place myself... but to get the small town feel, you have to move away from the big cities. You can't live in say, Edmonton and be like... "I need a small town atmosphere so I'm moving to Leduc" ... it's all the same.

I moved to Cochrane 3 years ago from Evergreen and I love it out here.
    From Evergreen on the train it took me close to an hour to hit the core and driving in from Cochrane to the core is 40min or if I drive to Crowfoot and train it in it's 45-50min.
    The roads are for the most part are a lot better then the city roads as the province clears 22, 1 and the 1a also the town clears our streets so none of this getting stuck on your street BS.
    House prices are like Calgary's but I think you get a few more sqft for your buck.
    The town has everything one would need and the shoppers is open till 12pm and if you can't find it in Cochrane, Crowfoot is 15 - 20 min away.

Bump, I am curious as to how many have changed the place from where they were living in from 10 years ago.

We're almost up to 24 years in our current home. Neighbors to the south of us been there for 22 years, to the north of us have been there longer than us. Across the road, longer than us, 17 years and 24 years. Behind us, longer than us and 22 years.

Over those almost 24 years, it's become quite apparent that we chose wisely for our lifestyle and I don't see us moving anytime soon.

How about the rest of you. In the past 10 years, have you moved because your home back then turned out not to meet your needs? And in the next 10 years, do you see yourself moving? Why would've you moved or why would you be moving?

I assume traffic and expensive gas issue is out of the picture today? haha I dont really see a major difference of living in Calgary or Airdrie if you are unemployed and cheap gas.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I just bought house in Calgary after months of thought. Explored Airdrie, Chestermere, etc. No way for me. You definitely get more bang for your buck but when all your friends and family are in Calgary and you work in Calgary, it made no sense no matter the "value".
    Last edited by Disoblige; 06-07-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2