Quantcast
Beer/Wine Fridge - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Beer/Wine Fridge

Default Beer/Wine Fridge

I have a decent sized void/space at the end of my counter, and I thought it would be a perfect place for a counter-height beer/wine fridge. Right now, my wine is on the counter, and my beer is taking up way too much space in my main refrigerator.

The problem is that I know absolutely nothing about what makes a good refrigerator, but I see that some are cooled by a compressor and some via thermo-electric, and some look way better than others.

I would specifically be looking for something dual zone, that could hold beer bottles (not cans) in half of it, and red wine bottles in the other half. So, I would assume half of it would be a wine rack and half would have adjustable shelves for beer bottles. I don't really care what the capacity is, I am more concerned with it being about counter height so it looks good at the same time. I see Costco sells some wine coolers for under $200 but I am having trouble finding beer/wine combo refrigerators except for online, which are accompanied by outrageous shipping charges. I guess the dollar is at par...

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions as to what brands, models, stores, etc. to check out or things to look out for, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really sure what makes one better than another other than by how good it looks. I don't want a POS that is loud and sucks a lot of energy, but also I can't afford to spend $1000+.

Thanks in advance!

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I've never seen a beer/wine fridge before? Do they have two separate sealed units in them?

Originally posted by 89coupe
    I've never seen a beer/wine fridge before? Do they have two separate sealed units in them?
    Yes, they have a divider, 2 doors, and 2 thermostats.

I don't think I want to spend $1000 but something like this is precisely what I am looking for:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/refri...C2760BLS.shtml

I wish I could build into the counter like that, but instead I have this void at the end of my counter that I have no idea why the cabinets/granite wasn't just extended to fill it. Its the perfect spot for a refrigerator like this, but it will have to be stand-alone unfortunately.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-20-2010 at 01:28 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Thats slick, I like it!

I doubt you will find anything like that for much less.

Originally posted by 89coupe
    Thats slick, I like it!

I doubt you will find anything like that for much less.
    Sadly, so far it looks like you're right. I saw wine coolers at Costco for $200 and got all excited haha.

I might be able to get away with just buying a big wine cooler and putting my beer in there too. I only like red wine and I think it needs to be stored around 55 degrees, I just have no sense for how cold that is beer-wise.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-20-2010 at 01:44 PM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Before you buy anything for beer, check the temperature ranges that it maintains.. we have two different ones that are beer/white wine fridges and they only chill to 39 F which isnt near cold enough for beer! (But fine for wine)

Originally posted by R-Audi
    Before you buy anything for beer, check the temperature ranges that it maintains.. we have two different ones that are beer/white wine fridges and they only chill to 39 F which isnt near cold enough for beer! (But fine for wine)
    That is a good point. Most of the ones I've looked at go to 37F which I think is 3 celcius. Even 39F (4C) seems pretty cold to me, but again I have no sense for exactly how cold that is beverage-temperature wise. Much colder and wouldn't you run the risk of freezing the beer if the cold air didn't circulate properly? I know that used to happen in my main refrigerator until I turned it down a bit.

A quick Google search suggests 4-7C or warmer is fine for all but the lightest of beers. Also some of my my darker Belgian beers are meant to be had slightly warmer anyways. I think I would probably be fine with 37-39F but its hard to say for sure.

The $1,000 Danby I posted pictures of goes down to 37F at its coldest.

From my initial research here, it looks like a lot of them are extremely noisy. Are the ones you have really loud?

EDIT: This one actually looks pretty good, can cool to 39F, is dual zone, and is only $559:

http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/js...ump&navCount=2
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-20-2010 at 03:20 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Bump from the dead.

Any recommendation on something under $250?
    12+ for capacity. No upper limit on size.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bump from the dead.

Any recommendation on something under $250?
    12+ for capacity. No upper limit on size.

Thanks!
    Saw a guy buying one at Reno Depot. I'd check them out for a clearance fridge.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'