Quantcast
MRU Bachelor of Business Administration VS UofC Bachelor of Arts(Economics) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: MRU Bachelor of Business Administration VS UofC Bachelor of Arts(Economics)

Default MRU Bachelor of Business Administration VS UofC Bachelor of Arts(Economics)

Haskayne Bcomm is out of the picture for me, and I am debating between either pursuing:
    A)ECON(U of C)>>>>MBA
    B)BBA (MRU)>>>>>MBA

Would be very interested in your opinions. I know that in general BBA's are equivalent to Bcomms, which would put it above a BArts(Econ), but MRU is far less recognized at this stage...

First of all, worry about what you want to enroll in now and leave higher aspirations (MBA, law school....) for down the road. I mean you haven't even started your undergrad and you want to do an MBA... If you like what you are doing, you'll do well enough in the courses to not have to worry about your marks and getting into those programs.

I would however advise against BBA>MBA. I mean you are going to re-learn most of the same stuff but in slightly more detail.

Why not Haskayne btw?

My Ride
    TDi

The Bissett program is so competitive now.. Trying to transfer from the International Business program into the BBA and I'm on the wait list =(
    GO FLAMES GO!

I should have mentioned I am in my second year at the U of C. I was in Haskayne my first year, then decided to opt out business, only to regret it a semester later. I am still doing business courses, but have spoken to advisors many times, who have all confirmed that I am unable to rejoin Haskayne since I withdrew once. I have already explored ways to get back in, and it is definitely out of the picture now. Sucks, I know, but all I can do is move on from here.

The question is now do I continue an econ degree, or pursue a BBA at MRU?

Default Re: MRU Bachelor of Business Administration VS UofC Bachelor of Arts(Economics)

Originally posted by iahbrip
    Haskayne Bcomm is out of the picture for me, and I am debating between either pursuing:
    A)ECON(U of C)>>>>MBA
    B)BBA (MRU)>>>>>MBA

Would be very interested in your opinions. I know that in general BBA's are equivalent to Bcomms, which would put it above a BArts(Econ), but MRU is far less recognized at this stage...
    Wait...what? Listen, its not about whats better..whether BComm > Econ...it is about personality, determination, networking and whether you are dedicated to what you are studying. If you think your degree is what is going to carry you, than i warn you that you will not get far with either degree.

If its business related jobs that you want, a BComm will not teach you more business related skills than a BA (Econ), so i would not be so quick to say it is better. A lot of the material is related and with a careful selection of options you can learn the basics of both ( like for example taking the management minor for economics majors or an energy economics minor if your a business major).

I am an economics major and I can tell you from just a small sample of econ friends I have, one is working as an energy analyst summer student (which was really competitive from what i heard, a lot of engineers and BComm grads, incl. MBA's, applied to). Another friend of mine is just finishing her degree and secured a job as a research analyst and I am just about to start a summer intern this summer as a business analyst.

So with that in mind, I would choose the major that you feel you will succeed the most and the one that you think will most interest you.

The important thing to remember is the business schools job postings. As an econ major you definitely won't get access to the postings on haskayne's career website, as a result, you won't be able to apply for jobs that you would be qualified for (eg. financial analyst, investment banking).

Not sure if MRU's system is anything like haskayne's. But if it is, I would take the business admin degree because their career services will likely be better.

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Originally posted by dimi
    First of all, worry about what you want to enroll in now and leave higher aspirations (MBA, law school....) for down the road. I mean you haven't even started your undergrad and you want to do an MBA... If you like what you are doing, you'll do well enough in the courses to not have to worry about your marks and getting into those programs.

I would however advise against BBA>MBA. I mean you are going to re-learn most of the same stuff but in slightly more detail.

Why not Haskayne btw?
    Unless he wants to study the same concentration for his MBA as his BBA, the only things he'll be re-learning are intro to accounting, management, human resources, and marketing. The other intro courses required aren't offered with MRU's BBA program.

A guy in one of my classes this semester told me that MRU's BBA isn't accredited. He's Haskayne's faculty rep, and just transferred over from MRU this year. So if that's true, I don't think you'll be able to get into an MBA program with a MRU BBA.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be difficult to get into MRU's BBA for next year anyways. About 1000 people got kicked out of their programs at MRU this month due to new policies and program changes, and can't transfer into their BBA program for next year because they require a GPA around 3.60 now.

My Ride
    Acura MDX

Originally posted by [GaGe]

Unless he wants to study the same concentration for his MBA as his BBA, the only things he'll be re-learning are intro to accounting, management, human resources, and marketing. The other intro courses required aren't offered with MRU's BBA program.

A guy in one of my classes this semester told me that MRU's BBA isn't accredited. He's Haskayne's faculty rep, and just transferred over from MRU this year. So if that's true, I don't think you'll be able to get into an MBA program with a MRU BBA.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be difficult to get into MRU's BBA for next year anyways. About 1000 people got kicked out of their programs at MRU this month due to new policies and program changes, and can't transfer into their BBA program for next year because they require a GPA around 3.60 now.
    MRU BBA got all accrediation in the fall from the AUCC. That was the final stamp that was needed. You can apply that into any graduate program. It has gotten extremley competitive. It's way to crazy! The gentlemen that gave you this information is misinformed or just too lazy to get it . I was going to transfer to the U of C
    Last edited by kwjent; 04-25-2010 at 11:42 AM.

whats up with the mru admission's for BBA this year? All of the BBA applications are closed and from what they said you need a 3.4 GPA to get in. All of a sudden MRU is now as hard to get into as U of T?

WTF....lol. All I know is, alot of my buddies at MRU are going to finger their asses for this coming year if they don't get in. Sucks.
    Last edited by roguetrader; 04-27-2010 at 10:52 AM.