Quantcast
McAfee Glitch Reboots Computers, Again and Again... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: McAfee Glitch Reboots Computers, Again and Again...

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default McAfee Glitch Reboots Computers, Again and Again...

Anyone else experience this joy today? I work in IT and about 140 of our PCs got the new update today before we were able to shut them all down. Thanks god it didn't affect our servers, yet we had to shut down production as a precaution.

McAfree has some explaining to do...I like how they said it didn't affect that many people....bullshit..

140 at least at my company, 1500-2000 at the UofC

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/04/...ain-and-again/
    Last edited by eblend; 04-21-2010 at 08:27 PM.

My Ride
    Stock 240sx fastback SE

MT Royal also

Forefront FTW :P

EDIT: I fully expect to eat this quote within a year.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by Mibz
    Forefront FTW :P

EDIT: I fully expect to eat this quote within a year.
    Haha, how is forefront? I am thinking of setting it up on my servers at home.

This is funny, I run the corporate version of mcafee on my home servers, and just last night i decided to shut down my servers as I was doing basement reno and didn't want them to suck in dust, guess it was a good move. Sure it didn't affect server platform, but still

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

My computer didn't get hit, but most of the people on the floor were. As a precaution, they told everyone to shut down their computers until they could figure out the source of the reboots. Thanks for the 2 hour break, McAfee!

Yeah, you Mcafee suckers, Just to add:

AVG also has an update to 9.0.814, that actually has a popup requiring you to reboot...

Really, I never click on popups. What are they thinking. I've never had to do a forced update of antivirus.

Makes me think there is some killer worm out there that the antivirus people rushed completely untested update. Either that - or the computers are actually infected and they are simply force disabling like triage so that it does not become a computer viral pandemic, lol.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

This happened at work.

It really seemed like some sort of kick ass virus. Totally shut down the office today. Everyone left for beer at lunch time because no one could do any work hahaha.

You can stop the automatic reboot by opening the RUN prompt and using this command:

shutdown -a
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

Originally posted by eblend
    Haha, how is forefront? I am thinking of setting it up on my servers at home.
    In terms of protection and resource usage I'm -very- impressed. We can run it on production App and DB servers without the issues we had with Norton Corporate.

The only problem I have, and it's a doozy for a lot of people, is that product and definition updates are tied in to Windows Update. I've never had a Forefront update (definition or client) ask for a reboot so I can't imagine forcing them to be a problem, but this makes management very difficult for domains that don't force updates. As well, you never know when one of those updates could include an reboot requirement. In order to effectively deploy it you need to have a pretty well designed AD. The client is pushed to computers via Group Policy too. For some people that's great, for others it's a deal breaker.

The price is fantastic and the reporting, while complicated (it uses MOM), is very thorough. I miss ePO for ease of use and nice dashboards, but I don't think I would go back.

I think if your organization can manage the design requirements then I'd strongly suggest giving it a try.

Thing is, I was cleaning out a computer with a mismash of about 50 different trojans, virii, worms and keyloggers when the Mcafee update hit.

With that much corruption - its actually quite amazing that these system can still be partially usable. But I figure that with all these viruses doing all sorts of different things - is probably going to hit some lottery chance happening where two viruses somehow manage to corrupt a data file in a way that noone would ever intentionally think of.

And then we are so screwed. Like the real life superbug viruses.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Yup, happend at my work today too. But only effected some people. Our IT guy thought we got a virus and was freaking out that our servers had been hacked!

My Ride
    '93 CYM FD3S

I can't believe so many people use McAfee......

My Ride
    Axis powers

we use kaspersky here at the office, can't say I like it very much but it works
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

McAfee is the worst security suite ever made. We are a SaaS host, and a lot of customers connecting to us have problems because McAfee blocks valid traffic at the javascript level all the way to the network level. One of the bad updates said Beyond was a trojan when browsing here haha.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/276862/trojan-alert/

Our India office used to use it, until I told them to fuck off and get rid of it. It broke all our VPN connectivity for a few days because someone there decided to deploy it to everything.

I hate McAfee.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

BTW: Life lesson learned.

Never say the word "Bloaty" around slightly overweight women. I know most IT people know what bloat means (and why it usually pertains to viral scanning software, and Vista) but regular people don't.

Yeesh
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

McAfee is garbage.

Our clients run a mix of Symantec EndPoint and Kaspersky Enterprise.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages. [shrug]
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Most of my clients run Symantec Endpoint Protection and as far as I am concerned it rocks.

Few issues here and there with Quickbooks, but forgetting that it works great!
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    AWOL

Originally posted by Zhariak
    Most of my clients run Symantec Endpoint Protection and as far as I am concerned it rocks.
    We're moving away from it as it doesn't catch the most basic threats

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

MSE > McAfee