Quantcast
Freedom Mobile (was: Wind Mobile) - Page 17 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Freedom Mobile (was: Wind Mobile)

My Ride
    M3

If you live on the edge of the towers or places with pretty bad coverage you'll get hit with roaming charges. I was with wind with the $35 plan but every month I kept getting charged an extra $5-10 due to roaming charges. Made the switch to Fido and I couldn't be happier.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

How is fido's data plan compared to wind though?

I just changed from Telus (ex employee) to wind and wind is shit. Although im using wireless whereever possible which I never did with Telus.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Fido uses Rogers towers

My Ride
    M3

Originally posted by nzwasp

I just changed from Telus (ex employee) to wind and wind is shit. Although im using wireless whereever possible which I never did with Telus.
    I did the bring your own phone thing for 2 gb of data for $65/month. 2 gb is enough for me and it's LTE speeds. The 5 gb of data with wind is nice but the speed was just terrible.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by nzwasp

Telus/Koodo/Bell is best. Roger/Fido is second. Wind is distance 3rd. No idea if Mobolicity has improved after Rogers bought them.

Wind is slowly pricing themselves out. I understand $35/mth with an inferior network and hope it will improves. But they just don't have the capital to do so.

Originally posted by JaffX

I did the bring your own phone thing for 2 gb of data for $65/month. 2 gb is enough for me and it's LTE speeds. The 5 gb of data with wind is nice but the speed was just terrible.
    Koodo has 3GB right now at $57/mth for byod.

My Ride
    G37X

I'm coming up on a year with Wind. I'm very whelmed by it. The pricing is good, but the speeds are fairly crappy and there's sometimes delays on getting/receiving texts. I'm starting to question whether the $30 difference is worth it.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Koodo/Wind/Fido - is there an obvious choice in Calgary you guys would choose as of right now ..... for 40-50$/mo with 5GB data?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by revelations
    Koodo/Wind/Fido - is there an obvious choice in Calgary you guys would choose as of right now ..... for 40-50$/mo with 5GB data?
    Does such plan exist without doing the SK/MB port for Koodo and Fido?

I still say Wind is it if you can make it work. I get 3Mbps connection 90% of time within the city (NW, NE, West, Beltline). I roam probably 5% of the time and roaming is cheap.

But if you work downtown core or in large buildings or edge of city, your experience will not be good with Wind.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-30-2015 at 11:29 AM.

My Ride
    2014 Tundra 1794 + 2016 X1

Default Wind Mobile users? Current review needed please!

So, with the new upgrades done to their network, how is the speed and coverage now?

I've read many reviews from last year and most were negative in regards to network speed and coverage.

Their plans sound so appealing and I'm trying to decide weather or not to switch to them.

Thanks!
    Last edited by topher91; 05-09-2016 at 08:36 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I used to avg 3-5Mbps, now 10-15Mbps. It's definitely better but no 40+Mbps of LTE of big 3.

City limit boundary has extended a bit. The dead zone in Hamptons is gone. Nose hill remain to have dead spots.

I'm happy as a customer for $35 a month, same price right now if BYOD. I have no problem paying a bit on data roam, 90% of time I'm in WIND coverage zones.

WIND coverage is good with GVA and GTA. But coverage in TO downtown is oversubscribed, hopefully it will get better when they upgrade network there.

Shaw may have injected some financial muscle to the business, don't expect them to put up a fight with the big 3 or any plan to go to 5G.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-09-2016 at 08:20 PM.

My Ride

I'm on telus now, I only get 10-15mbs!

Sounds pretty good to me.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I have no issues to report, before or after any upgrades.

I stream YT all over the city on my journey just fine. Wind throttles YT anyway so any improvement in bandwidth wouldn't be noticeable there.

I cant see why I need 10+ mbs when I don't do massive file moves or downloads while on the road. Emails, attachments and websites load just fine on the existing speeds.

I'd gladly pay less to NOT use LTE

My Ride
    G37X

I'd tell you the speed I currently get, but even though I'm on 4G my data isn't currently loading. It's generally decent enough in the city, good enough to stream music for the most part. Certainly isn't blazing fast for much of anything though. For the price I can't complain even with the lost/slow data at times, and the random delays texts seem to get once in a while.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Edit, double post
    Last edited by n1zm0; 05-10-2016 at 08:25 AM.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by relyt92
    I'd tell you the speed I currently get, but even though I'm on 4G my data isn't currently loading. It's generally decent enough in the city, good enough to stream music for the most part. Certainly isn't blazing fast for much of anything though. For the price I can't complain even with the lost/slow data at times, and the random delays texts seem to get once in a while.
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    I'm happy as a customer for $35 a month, same price right now if BYOD. I have no problem paying a bit on data roam, 90% of time I'm in WIND coverage zones.
    Both of these statements are exactly why I'm still with Wind, virtually no data limit, streaming spotify, navigation, even twitch in Source feed quality I have no issues. I would say I've encountered slow zones but not dead as of late. It does great for what I need it to do and I'd say a definite increase in speed since the upgrades but only in core heavily supported zones.

SMS media/text works fine but depending on the app sometimes it doesn't transmit messages and you have to manually retry to send.

Also it seems to idle on 3G then switches to HSPA+ when I know it's trying to TX or RX something, it never happened before the upgrades

My Ride
    Grimace

Saw this article yesterday with kind of pros and cons of wind with the new networks
    http://www.androidcentral.com/wind-mobile-worth-it

Future upgrades

There is good news on the horizon, though: Wind is systematically replacing all of its old network hardware with newer, faster equipment provided by Nokia. Upgrades have already been completed in Vancouver and Calgary, and are moving eastward. These improvements have positively affected coverage, reliability and speed.
    Towards LTE

Toward the end of 2016, Wind Mobile plans to launch an LTE network based on AWS-3 spectrum it acquired in one of the government's most recent auctions. Combined with some of the AWS-1 spectrum Wind plans to repurpose for LTE, the company should be in a good place to compete with Rogers, Bell, and Telus in its home markets. However, because the AWS-3 standard is still relatively new, there are no supported devices yet; Wind will have to wait until at least the beginning of 2017 for new products to launch with support for Band 66, which unifies AWS-1 and AWS-3 under a single standard.
    I will probably be interested once this all start rolling out.

The upgrades will have growing pains. After years of reliable service, my wife had a 2 month disruption where she would be roaming as soon as we entered our community.

My Ride

Originally posted by phreezee
    The upgrades will have growing pains. After years of reliable service, my wife had a 2 month disruption where she would be roaming as soon as we entered our community.
    Which community?

I figured, if I get in now while service is OK, then when they are comparable to big 3, I may be able to keep a decent plan.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That does sound like great news for Wind. Curious if they'll just jack up the price and we'll have 'the big 4'
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Seems better now that the upgrades were completed, I am still on wind away in my basement though. During the upgrades it was hit and miss outside (aspen area) whether I was in the zone or not. It has definetly forced me to use free wifi whenever I can find it - when I was with Telus (company phone) I would never bother with putting my phone on wifi. However now that I have to pay for my own phone the cost for the service is alright. My wife also uses wind but she has a iphone which their network only supports on 3g and she hates it. I have suggested we switch to one of the big 3 but she doesnt want to pay $50 more for better performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast