Quantcast
Freedom Mobile (was: Wind Mobile) - Page 20 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Freedom Mobile (was: Wind Mobile)

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by msommers
    $37 dollars?! I'm with them now and the deal that was sent out is $45/month, WTF!

My plan now is their $59 plan but mine is $55 and also has a $5 off for 6 months from when I started (December I think?).

For $37 for 6Gb that's pretty awesome! If I refer someone and they activate we both get $20 each as a bonus which is cool. But I don't see that coupon code anywhere on my Wind dashboard.
    Freedom gave associates 5 codes each for Family and Friend to join at 35% off rate or something, so it is up to each associate's discretion. So the codes are hard to come by but I heard some are selling codes on Kijiji.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/ca...ationFlag=true

Originally posted by Hero_X
    So with the family friends discount, I can get the 59LTE plan for ~ 38$/mth

apparently it lets you roam free within Canada and USA (with 2400 min limit and 1gb data limit, but data overages doesn't occur, they throttle you beyond the 1gb).

It sounds good and all but yeah coverage is the shit point cuz I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to switch from Koodo to this.
    Like I said, if you don't like the limitation, I don't mind taking it off your hands.

Telus/Koodo is still bar-none the best network in AB.

As for US roaming, Freedom just switched from T-Mo to AT&T, so it should improve at some spots.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-27-2017 at 05:10 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I made the switch to Freedom on two phones a few days ago to save a bit on my bills. I used a Samsung S8 on LTE and a Samsung S7 Edge on "4G" to test.

On both phones, there were frequent disconnections from data throughout​ the inner city (<10 kms from city center) and downtown. This is easy 10 times worse on the S7. I did notice this to be somewhat better on day 4 vs day 1 and with roaming off vs on.

Speed tests. The S8 on LTE averaged about 92 Mbps down and about 30 Mbps up over three tests. At the same location the S7E received two network connection issue warnings and one successful test which resulted in 5.9 Mbps down and 1.6 Mbps up.

Customer service was ok but did not have a solution.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 05-30-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Freedoms fast data vs slow data is pretty crazy. Im not within range to even use my data most of the time so when I was last in town i decided to download a torrent on my 4G connection. The fast data was running at 3MB/sec most of the time, as soon as I hit my fast data limit of 2GB it dropped to 15KB/sec. I thought it would atleast be 50KB/sec
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    2014 Tundra 1794 + 2016 X1

I couldn't handle it, switched back to Telus.

Too many times I found myself roaming while in the city (Martindale, sage Hill, evanston)

It's cheap and unreliable. I know it will get better, but I'd rather have the speed and reliability I've had with Telus in the past.

My Ride
    G37X

I wanted to love Wind, spent a year on it but switched to Virgin and haven't had a single issue since. Regular delayed texts, regular data issues and dropped calls here and there. Haven't had any of those since. I half thought about switching back with the new LTE network but this thread shows me I won't be.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
    I made the switch to Freedom on two phones a few days ago to save a bit on my bills. I used a Samsung S8 on LTE and a Samsung S7 Edge on &quot;4G&quot; to test.

On both phones, there were frequent disconnections from data throughout&amp;#8203; the inner city (&lt;10 kms from city center) and downtown. This is easy 10 times worse on the S7. I did notice this to be somewhat better on day 4 vs day 1 and with roaming off vs on.

Speed tests. The S8 on LTE averaged about 92 Mbps down and about 30 Mbps up over three tests. At the same location the S7E received two network connection issue warnings and one successful test which resulted in 5.9 Mbps down and 1.6 Mbps up.

Customer service was ok but did not have a solution.
    I get 12Mbps down and 2 Mbps up out at the beltline on old network.

I get average of 42Mbps down and 24Mbps up on the new LTE network. So far in the same areas.

Signal for LTE is weak at edges of populations (Nose Hill, Lonestar Merc etc) and fall back to 4G.

As I expected, the frequency the LTE operates at is poor at penetrating buildings. So roaming in most warehouses and big box stores.

EDIT: Just had a mysterious drop from LTE to 4G out of the blue. I guess it's still a work in progress.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-31-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Originally posted by msommers
    $37 dollars?! I'm with them now and the deal that was sent out is $45/month, WTF!
    Anyone want to PM me with a discount code? If legit, I'd gladly throw you a few $.

My Ride
    Bicycle

So LTE update.

Coverage is sparse in the NW. Don't know if they are still fine tuning or not or if it's just my shitty band 66 phone, I drop back to 4G from Varsity to pretty close to Bow river on my bike ride.

LTE is good within core/beltline tho.

My Ride
    X100 | A80

I'm also looking into making the switch from Bell to Freedom Mobile. Should I give up my current plan for worse service and a new phone? Seeing as they have a 15 day return policy, I could cancel the whole thing if I find it's too unreliable.

Current plan is:
    6GB LTE
    200min
    10 people unlimited
    No subsidised phones
    $75/month

Thing is, with the friends & family discount the savings are really substantial. I'd be really grateful and willing to buy a Friend & Family discount code if any Shaw/Freedom employees have a spare!
    Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
    I'm also looking into making the switch from Bell to Freedom Mobile. Should I give up my current plan for worse service and a new phone? Seeing as they have a 15 day return policy, I could cancel the whole thing if I find it's too unreliable.

Current plan is:
    6GB LTE
    200min
    10 people unlimited
    No subsidised phones
    $75/month

Thing is, with the friends & family discount the savings are really substantial. I'd be really grateful and willing to buy a Friend & Family discount code if any Shaw/Freedom employees have a spare!
    A) Phone choices are slim right now. G6 and S8 is your only go to for flagships. And some new phones are still not band 66 compatible.

B) If you can find a F&F code to do the $59 plan for $39, it is great deal even if you have to roam on Telus network because you have 2400 min and 1GB on roaming.

C) Shaw just bought 700Mhz and 2500Mhz spectrum, hardware for these probably won't happen for a few more years but future is looking bright if you can get in the ground floor now and can keep grandfathering going forward.

D) Found service of LTE is acceptable but coverage is still so-so. You will need Shaw Go wifi at places to cover that shortage.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Would love to try them as soon as they actually have some out for town coverage

My Ride
    X100 | A80

Well I just signed up for Freedom Mobile. I went for the $59 plan + $35/month for a $0 S8. I was able to get the 35% off Friends and Family discount, so my monthly spend is about the same as it was at Bell, and in 2 years it will drop substantially. Initially, I was considering buying an S8 outright, but getting one for $0 and paying the same each month seemed like a better deal.

I'm happy with the plan, 8GB high speed in town, 1GB high speed when roaming, basically unlimited minutes, etc. I must say though, the S8 is struggling to obtain LTE in my basement, and compared to my S6 on Bell, it is getting stomped on speed tests. When I walk upstairs, the S8 on Freedom outpaces my S6 on Bell when using Google's speed test.

Here is a comparison:

It's a shame that in the basement LTE is not available, but upstairs it's quite good.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

How did you find a code?!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    X100 | A80

I know a Shaw employee who was willing to give one up in trade for a couple bottles of wine

I'm a bit salted at the rep who I dealt with however. I was under the impression that the discount only applied to the monthly plan, and not the device tab. She insisted that the entire monthly bill (plan + tab) would be discounted 35%. Before hearing that, I planned on putting $200 down, and paying $25 a month for a total of $800, instead of $0 down and $35 a month ($840). Since she insisted that it would be discounted, I went ahead with the $0 down. Later that day I called Freedom to confirm with a rep on the phone, and that's when I was told that the discount only applies to the plan, not the tab. It's only $40, but I just hate it when reps don't know their product.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm still on the hunt. Seems impossible at the moment!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Legacy Spec B

I switched over last week for the $38 plan. The codes are only good till the end of the month.

For the phone I'm just using my Nexus 5X so no LTE for me . My speeds are roughly 12 mbps down and 2 up so it's tolerable. I talked to the reps and you can start the tab plan at anytime so I'm waiting for the next Pixel to come out later this year. It might get better though. Looked into the 700 mhz spectrum just just acquired. Videotron's 700mhz spectrum was suppose to be on band 13 which should be supported on most phones. The 2500 mhz spectrum is more of an unknown. Might be band 41? that's used by sprint right now.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Switched last night to freedom from my 5gb fido plan. Managed to get a F+F code. So I got the $59 8gb with the 1gb roaming data plan since I’m doing a road trip to California next week. Just using my iPhone 7+ so no LTE for me. So far seem to get better service in town than I did with fido haha. We’ll see how it goes over the next couple months though and how it does while on a trip to the states

My Ride
    X100 | A80

Quote Originally Posted by eglove View Post
    Switched last night to freedom from my 5gb fido plan. Managed to get a F+F code. So I got the $59 8gb with the 1gb roaming data plan since I’m doing a road trip to California next week. Just using my iPhone 7+ so no LTE for me. So far seem to get better service in town than I did with fido haha. We’ll see how it goes over the next couple months though and how it does while on a trip to the states
    Currently it's not bad at all from what I can tell, and I'm pretty sure it's only going to get better.

It's unreal that for $38.35 we get 8GB of LTE data, 1GB of LTE data from TELUS/Rogers/AT&T, unlimited talk from Wind and 2400 from the other 3. I just hope that they find a way to supplement AWS-3 with something with better range/penetration.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Quote Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
    Currently it's not bad at all from what I can tell, and I'm pretty sure it's only going to get better.

It's unreal that for $38.35 we get 8GB of LTE data, 1GB of LTE data from TELUS/Rogers/AT&T, unlimited talk from Wind and 2400 from the other 3. I just hope that they find a way to supplement AWS-3 with something with better range/penetration.
    Yea, so far so good. I'm happy with it. People can keep talking shit so no more people come and saturate it haha.

It really is amazing. It makes you think if they can offer a service for that amount. Even at $59 compared to the other providers...

My Ride
    Bicycle

If you want to slum it to get a Band 66 phone, anyone who sign up with $40+ plans are entitled to a free* ZTE Grand X4.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-a.../zte-grand-x-4

free* = $200 on tab and tab will clear in 2 years.

It's a pretty basic phone but think of it as an advance Wifi Hotspot.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-20-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 ... LastLast