Quantcast
Custom Made Suits - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Custom Made Suits

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Nissan
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Custom Made Suits

    Any recommendations where to get a custom made suit other than Holt, Henry Singer, Rosen ?

    Hoping to get a custom made suit for ~ $1,100

    Anyone had experience?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Calgary/Lethbridge
    My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
    Posts
    1,330
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    There's a guy who comes around every year and stays at some hotel and you can go there and get measured and they'll ship it to you in a week or 2. Suits are ~$400ish.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Nissan
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Cool,
    Any more info?

    Did you pick one up?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    a slow bird
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    No offense, but why would you want to spend 1100 on a piece of cloth?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Nissan
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I shouldn't have put a price.

    Im looking for a really nice looking suit that fits me.

    Last week I checked out Harry Rosen and suit that fit me was ~ $1,500. So I assumed a good deal would be ~ $1,100?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt
    Posts
    860
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Have you tried on a $500 suit? Personally I can't tell the difference between a $200 and $500, let alone $1000. Just me I guess, I'm hardly a suit conniseur.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

    there's a thread on it if you search
    J

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    a slow bird
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I personally couldn't tell the difference between a 5 dollar or 1500 dollar suit , I'd say its mostly just in the brand. I would just make sure it fits good on you. No point for spending large paper on something you're going to look dumb in regardless.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,203
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Go take a trip to HK and get it done.
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Beyond We Trust

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree
    Posts
    1,149
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Custom suits in HK = $400 max for an excellent cut suit.

    Guy that comes to Calgary is from HK and will mail your suit to you when ready.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    02' dc5
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    HK suits are amazing, everyone that has had them done are extremely happy that I know. $500 or less and they look great too.

    And guys, honestly whoever says they can't tell the difference between a 200 and 1500 suit is an idiot. You can tell a cheap suit from an expensive one, and if your dressing up, why dress cheap? Everyone can tell if your suit is from moores, or if its from a highend store or custom made. It's different quality completely.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Calgary/Lethbridge
    My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
    Posts
    1,330
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally posted by Mys73ri0
    http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

    there's a thread on it if you search
    This is the guy TYMSMNY and I were talking about

    There's a huge difference between $200 suits and made to measure suits. I used to have a $300 suit, thought it looked good, than I went to Hong Kong and actually got a made to measure suit and the difference is night and day. Get tons of compliments on it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    167
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by 2Valve0
    And guys, honestly whoever says they can't tell the difference between a 200 and 1500 suit is an idiot. You can tell a cheap suit from an expensive one, and if your dressing up, why dress cheap? Everyone can tell if your suit is from moores, or if its from a highend store or custom made. It's different quality completely.
    I don't agree with this at all. I used to work for Tip Top Tailors and most of my suits are from there. They are all pure wool suits and the most expensive was a chaps ralph lauren that cost ~$300. All my suits are in the $200-300 range and nobody can tell that the suits aren't more expensive, even people I know who buy suits at holt say that it looks good. The biggest thing is to buy a suit that fits properly and pair it with a matching shirt/tie combo. A $1500 suit that doesn't fit properly with a mismatched shirt/tie will look worse than a $200 suit paired with a matching shirt/tie.

    To the OP, I'd check out a few other places like Tip Top or even Moores. For $1100 you can get a few pure wool suits and some shirt/tie combos as well.
    Originally posted by xLostx
    I like getting random texts, some guy kept texting me calling me his girl and baby, i told him that i have aids and he should get tested. he no longer texts me
    Originally posted by dimi


    I'm a grammar paramedic, unlike those assholes from the grammar police.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vagabond Backpacker
    My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus
    Posts
    1,170
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Tailored suits are the bomb. I had a bunch made in Hoi An, Vietnam. I didn't necessarily go with the most expensive wools, but they still look way better than anything I could buy off the rack because of the fit! Well woth the money spent.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Nissan
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thanks for all the comments.

    I almost got duped into buying a $1800 suit last week. I thought thats how much the average downtown crowd spends. Will check out Moore's this weekend!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    02' dc5
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by krazykhoja


    I don't agree with this at all. I used to work for Tip Top Tailors and most of my suits are from there. They are all pure wool suits and the most expensive was a chaps ralph lauren that cost ~$300. All my suits are in the $200-300 range and nobody can tell that the suits aren't more expensive, even people I know who buy suits at holt say that it looks good. The biggest thing is to buy a suit that fits properly and pair it with a matching shirt/tie combo. A $1500 suit that doesn't fit properly with a mismatched shirt/tie will look worse than a $200 suit paired with a matching shirt/tie.

    To the OP, I'd check out a few other places like Tip Top or even Moores. For $1100 you can get a few pure wool suits and some shirt/tie combos as well.
    Obviously if you get a 1500 suit that doesnt fit well it looks like shit, what a stupid comment, thats why you get it tailor'd to you. I owned a few suits from moore's and ended up gettin a Boss and a D&G suit and it is like night and day. If you are at a professional place downtown, men and woman can both tell the difference from a cheap moores/tip top suit compared to a designer suit. IMO the suits I have seen custom made I would much rather have one of them, then one from Holt etc. here.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    5,983
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Does Maxwell require a reservation or do you just show up when he is in town?

    I like Emberto's.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    167
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by 2Valve0


    Obviously if you get a 1500 suit that doesnt fit well it looks like shit, what a stupid comment, thats why you get it tailor'd to you. I owned a few suits from moore's and ended up gettin a Boss and a D&G suit and it is like night and day. If you are at a professional place downtown, men and woman can both tell the difference from a cheap moores/tip top suit compared to a designer suit. IMO the suits I have seen custom made I would much rather have one of them, then one from Holt etc. here.
    What I was trying to get at it, is you don't have to spend tons of money on a tailored suit to get something that looks good and doesn't break the bank. I was trying to make a more exaggerated point, but basically what I am saying is IMO if you buy a $200-$400 suit that fits well then there is no need to spend $1500 on a custom made suit. If you want to spend more money on a tailored suit thats great, but IMO a $200 suit thats the right fit does the job just fine. I would rather buy 4 suits and shirts/ties for $1500 than a single custom suit.
    Originally posted by xLostx
    I like getting random texts, some guy kept texting me calling me his girl and baby, i told him that i have aids and he should get tested. he no longer texts me
    Originally posted by dimi


    I'm a grammar paramedic, unlike those assholes from the grammar police.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Giant Rainier
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by msommers
    Does Maxwell require a reservation or do you just show up when he is in town?

    I like Emberto's.
    Just show up. Plenty of helpful HK tailors to help you out. Their customer service after purchase is awesome as well.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    02' dc5
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by krazykhoja


    What I was trying to get at it, is you don't have to spend tons of money on a tailored suit to get something that looks good and doesn't break the bank. I was trying to make a more exaggerated point, but basically what I am saying is IMO if you buy a $200-$400 suit that fits well then there is no need to spend $1500 on a custom made suit. If you want to spend more money on a tailored suit thats great, but IMO a $200 suit thats the right fit does the job just fine. I would rather buy 4 suits and shirts/ties for $1500 than a single custom suit.
    I suppose this is the same argument in the Rock and Republic thread. Some people like to spend less on clothes
    No saying a 200-400 suit won't look good, as I said before I have a few myself. All I'm saying is that people can tell the difference.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Custom Suits - Giovanni the Tailor

    By ffmf in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 11-17-2009, 05:37 PM
  2. Made-to-measure Suits

    By nykz in forum General
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 04-09-2009, 08:38 AM
  3. Custom fuel lines made locally?

    By Chris88CL in forum Mechanical
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 08-10-2004, 09:12 PM
  4. Pre made cat-back vs custom made exhaust.

    By T5_X in forum Performance Modifications
    Replies: 26
    Latest Threads: 03-08-2004, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •