Quantcast
Calgary Comic Con 2010, 2011, and beyond. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Comic Con 2010, 2011, and beyond.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Default Calgary Comic Con 2010, 2011, and beyond

WOW what a whirlwind first day

So much art, so much talent... I spent a little over my budget XD But so worth it

So who else geeked it up today and went to the con?

EDIT:

Some of the art I had made

I ran (literally) to the Udon booth to be able to get a commission... mine was the first of the day and it is made of win and epic. Chun Li dressed for a night out XD It was one of the two commissions I had in mind, and Omar said that this one sounded the better challenge and better artistic choice of the two :P (the other was Chun Li doing some kind of action in her alternate outfit from SF4)

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Late 80's style water-inked Rogue, by Vince Sunico... had never heard of him, walked by his booth at Artist's Alley, did a full 180 and walked right back to it once my brain kicked into gear. Incredibly fast, precise, fluid movements and natural talent for water-inks... btw, this picture was never touched with a pen... that is ALL brushwork o_O

click for larger version
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 06-11-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    Geek

My Ride
    a car

How were the cosplayers?

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

There were a few Neytiri's (Avatar), a few WoW cosplayers, but I wasn't really paying attention. There was a guy dressed up in pretty realistic armor with a full (natural) viking beard and carrying a hammer, so I suspected he was cos'ing as Thor.

But, all around, it was mostly geeky shirts and sensible pants today. Hell, the geekiest I went was wearing my Thundercats shirt to the con XD
    Geek

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i took my kid (7) there, we just went to check out the freaks :P some really good art, but i couldn't bring myself to pay for any of it, we ended up with 5 comics for the kid... that's about it.

i cant say i saw any totally outstanding outfits, there were a couple avatar people that were good, didn't hang around for the stage costume show though.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

No idea what the OP said. Were they selling RAM there?

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Thaco
    i took my kid (7) there, we just went to check out the freaks :P some really good art, but i couldn't bring myself to pay for any of it, we ended up with 5 comics for the kid... that's about it.

i cant say i saw any totally outstanding outfits, there were a couple avatar people that were good, didn't hang around for the stage costume show though.
    5 comics isn't a bad take at all. As long as you get the little dude weaned into the con scene properly (there's a Star Trek con in Vulcan in June? July? and Con-Version (more aimed at written word stuff) in October), it can be a very exciting, very cool thing to do and to visit.

And, my little tip and trick is: bring your own paper. I bought two packs of blueline 1001 comic art 110 lbs board. it's 11x17, meaning HUGE area to draw in. And if you ask really nicely, and ask only for a head sketch, a lot of people will do free sketches. One example, Marcus To (did work for Aspen, Top Cow, etc) does head sketches for free, and I got Fathom done this year at the con, took him seriously all of 3 minutes:

click for larger version
    Geek

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by taos911
    No idea what the OP said. Were they selling RAM there?
    Comic Con = Comic artist and vendor convention. Exciting for comic art collectors like myself. Look at the pictures posted to see what i mean. Why would they be selling RAM at a comic book and comic art convention? o_O
    Geek

My Ride
    GTI

Anything interesting there for a Deadpool fan like me?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by KKY
    How were the cosplayers?

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

There is a print I saw a few people carrying with deadpool COVERED in blood, with two scantily clad woman fawning all over him. I'll try to get a picture surreptitiously tomorrow if I can. I think it's from the booth a couple down from Neil Kaplan.

However, my main, overriding goal tomorrow is to get to Bruce Timm's line first so I can get a Harley Quinn sketch (there is also a fucking AWESOME Harley Quinn/Joker print that I am VERY tempted to pick up from a local freelancer).
    Geek

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Nice spot Rice XD I'm quite serious when I say that I really didn't see that many cosplayers, it's MUCH more a jeans and t-shirt crowd this year so far
    Geek

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Nice spot Rice XD I'm quite serious when I say that I really didn't see that many cosplayers, it's MUCH more a jeans and t-shirt crowd this year so far
    What Comic-Con were you at?

http://wildgunmen.com/blog/2010/04/2...ary-comic-con/

Also, anyone else get raped in the ass waiting for your Leonard Nimoy pictures?

Few of the easier to look at cosplay outfits:

My Ride
    6th gen accord

i spent 4 hours playing street fighter. ffs.
    pretty cool meeting jeremy from pure pwnage though, but fuck the line up for nimoy, they said it was 500 people in line before he even showed up.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

muuuurgh.... holy FUCK are my shoulders stiff and my legs hurt... but, ah well, another full day of con ahead! Today is Bruce Timm as the major point of "holy shit RUN GET THERE NOW," then it's gonna be a much more relaxed day. I'm probably not even going to TRY the line for Nimoy.... if anything, it'll be even longer today because of all the people that left it till late yesterday to line up, and lost out.

I still think it's one of the smoothest con's I've been to, in terms of the arts side of things. The art/writing panels have been awesome, the sketches and commissions have been awesome, I'm yet to be unhappy with any picture I've bought/had done free/commissioned yet Today's panels should be fun too

EDIT: Oh, and remember, I said I personally didn't see many cosplayers. Doesn't mean that they don't exist XD I do also remember seeing a pretty decent attempt at Cortana walking around.

Looking through that list, Tram, the attempt at Morgan (from DA:O) actually isn't half bad at all o_O
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 04-25-2010 at 07:26 AM.
    Geek

The organization of this con was fucking terrible, getting shifted around like cattle. A few of us got the pre-purchase tickets because we learned our lesson from last year and having to wait in a ridiculous line up.... only to show up and see the pre-purchase ticket line up wrapped around the outside of the building and then went down a hallway and back again inside... yet if you were paying there you had no more than a 5 minute wait.

How about this - have a group of people at the door giving out wrist tags for people with tickets so this doesn't happen, not 2-3 people at a booth... You can say all you want it was an influx of people, but there was just 0 communication with the vendors selling these tickets and the people who were running the con.

Also I miss the prior years where the celebrities were up above people signing autographs etc so you could actually see them from the floor (I Yelled "I LOVE YOU KEVIN SORBO" one year and he gave me a thumbs up lol).

Once inside, the art was probably the first thing I was drawn too(lawl , see what i did there?). I bought 2 pieces from John Giang, such a talented artist and crazy cool guy.

I'm very disappointed with the amount of space the computers/pure pwnage section took & for that haunted house area. Certain vendors like happy harbor comics from edmonton didn't make it down, and i found last year they had the best selection. Red Skull had a decent selection as always, but everybody else was a bit lack luster.

And of course, the cos-players. I make it a game every year to have my pic taken with all of the hot ones Got about 6 pictures taken yesterday haha missed the ... looking at Tramm Common, I missed chicks 2-5 lol

That chick painted green though... so gorgeous.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

There were definitely some good looking cosplay girls.

I totally agree with you though 403Gemini, this comic-con has been a fucking shit show in terms of organization.

I interviewed a guy who waited two hours to get his photos from the Nimoy picture ops.

There were literally hundreds of people who were forced to wait and spot their pictures as a random volunteer held them up one by one and displayed them for the crowd.

Such a fucking shit show.

Also, don't even get me started on how pathetic they were to press. We didn't get access to a single panel ahead of the massive lines and we all had to fight over like two ladies who were in charge of setting up ALL the interviews.

They tried to enforce a "No drive-by interviewing" policy which might have worked had they had enough people to accommodate setting up ALL the interviews. They didn't of course.

You know the thing is a joke when fucking Space Television is told they can't interview Nimoy because Press aren't allowed into his panel and one single fan is more beneficial to the Comic-Con than a television station that represents 50,000 fans.

Such a fucking joke. The guy in charge is a grad of the PR program at Mount Royal. I remember him and as soon as I spotted him coming down to talk to me as "The Man In-Charge" it suddenly all made sense why everything was such a disaster.

Anyways! End of rant, still worth checking out, lots of talent there and despite the chaos they deserve the support.

If you want in to a panel I highly suggest arriving and lining up 10 - 30 mins early.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 10:49 PM.

psssssttttt... Anything that netcandi does is going to have shitty organization just a FYI.

If any of you have ever been to their parties you would know what I'm talking about. (NN4 er 5 er whatever, chinese cultural center etc), all IMO anyways.

Originally posted by Vagabond142

5 comics isn't a bad take at all. As long as you get the little dude weaned into the con scene properly (there's a Star Trek con in Vulcan in June? July? and Con-Version (more aimed at written word stuff) in October), it can be a very exciting, very cool thing to do and to visit.

And, my little tip and trick is: bring your own paper. I bought two packs of blueline 1001 comic art 110 lbs board. it's 11x17, meaning HUGE area to draw in. And if you ask really nicely, and ask only for a head sketch, a lot of people will do free sketches. One example, Marcus To (did work for Aspen, Top Cow, etc) does head sketches for free, and I got Fathom done this year at the con, took him seriously all of 3 minutes:

click for larger version
    cool drawing , that's my cousin, lol

My Ride
    a car

so those cosplayers just walk around waiting for people to ask them for pictures?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast