Quantcast
Painting exterior house (Stucco) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painting exterior house (Stucco)

Default Painting exterior house (Stucco)

Just wondering if anyone here has repainted their house that is made of stucco? This is not new stucco but older stucco that needs to be repainted.
    I've seen newer paint by Behr that is elastometric which has some sort of flexible, mildew resistant and waterproof paint.
    Has anyone had experience with using this paint?
    Then there is your regular acrylic latex stucco paint. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of both types of paint.

Thanks,
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

The only real con is that elastomeric costs more. I have no experience with the specific Behr brand, but in general elastomeric is a superior type of paint for exterior applications.

My Ride
    Eclipse

I remember painting a chimney in the behr paint, but I have never done a full house, we have however spray painted a full house, but the covering takes a very long time, Every inch has 2 be covered, the windows, so-fit, doors, roofs.. etc etc it is def not to cheap..

You could also look at getting 1 coat of scratch placed over the old stucco and then getting a new color placed on top of it...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by Kobe
    I remember painting a chimney in the behr paint, but I have never done a full house, we have however spray painted a full house, but the covering takes a very long time, Every inch has 2 be covered, the windows, so-fit, doors, roofs.. etc etc it is def not to cheap..

My neighbour from across the street resprayed his stucco house for like $6,000.. last year's labour cost. Roughly a 1,800 - 2,000sqft double car garage type of home.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

My neighbour from across the street resprayed his stucco house for like $6,000.. last year's labour cost. Roughly a 1,800 - 2,000sqft double car garage type of home.

Holy shit!!!
    I did the whole exterior, the fence and the garage of my rental house. Exterior acrylic paint. It was cheap. bought it at Totem. then bought one of these: All told I did it for around $700. Took me 3 days. That was everything.

Here's before and afters:

before

After

Last edited by C_Dave45; 04-26-2010 at 08:38 PM.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Holy shit!!!
    I did the whole exterior, the fence and the garage of my rental house. Exterior acrylic paint. It was cheap. bought it at Totem. then bought one of these: All told I did it for around $700. Took me 3 days. That was everything.

You can also rent a super strong one of those, and go over the new stucco twice and it will look perfect, I'm not sure where we rented it, but I'm going to guess Winroc?

Looks nice tho C-Dave
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    09 honda fit

Firstly, lol at the black and decker hvlp

Secondly, you didn't account your 3 days of labour in the cost you can add 800 for that

Thirdly, I'd be willing to bet you didn't back roll it

I would be suprised if that paint job lasted 3 years, with all the assumptions I've made (using rona paint, not back rolling etc.)

The funny part is you could have got a painter to do that for roughly 1600-1900 with a premium 100% acrylic, semi elastomeric, with easyflow modifiers and ceramic microspheres (roughly 60$/gallon at the paint store) sprayed with a proper sprayer and back rolled, congrats you saved a couple bucks short run and lost an indeterminate amount long run. It may just be me but I thought this is why we have specialization of labor?

as far as OP,

If its a fully elastomeric its not actually a paint its a coating, and you cannot spray it with that black and decker you would need a graco 690 with a .23 tip. you would also need to back roll it. the 2 coat thickness is anywhere from 4-6mm and it will dampen the texture of your stucco. This product is great for stucco that is in very bad repair as it will hold it together for a few more years.

There are semi-elastomerics like ICI DULUX DIAMOND as I talked about above which has good properties of both a paint and an elastomeric coating. I'd recommend this if your stucco is in good repair and you plan on staying in the house for a length of time.

The 100% Acrylic "Stucco Paint" is fine as long as you apply it properly. 5-7year life expectation 2-3 years looking new.

As far as mildew resistant great if you have that problem I would bet you don't assuming you live in Calgary.

Myself personally I would never buy a behr product, its over priced for what you are getting.

If you want to know more as there is more to tell PM with your questions.

My Ride
    09 honda fit

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

$6000 is high I would generally charge 4k after tax for this size of house assuming vinyl window alumininum soffits and fascia.

Originally posted by jfit09

Secondly, you didn't account your 3 days of labour in the cost you can add 800 for that

I would be suprised if that paint job lasted 3 years, with all the assumptions I've made (using rona paint, not back rolling etc.)

The funny part is you could have got a painter to do that for roughly 1600-1900 with a premium 100% acrylic, semi elastomeric, with easyflow modifiers and ceramic microspheres (roughly 60$/gallon at the paint store) sprayed with a proper sprayer and back rolled, congrats you saved a couple bucks short run and lost an indeterminate amount long run. It may just be me but I thought this is why we have specialization of labor?
    Judging by the for sale sign on his 'rental' property... I am sure he's not looking for a 20 year guarantee on this paint job.

Good job C_Dave45, the before and after pics look night and day.

My Ride
    09 honda fit

This is possibly the most self indulgent statement I have ever seen, because your selling does not warrant doing a halfass job. To many people do this on a daily basis and the complain to no end when they get a lemon of a house. Irony much.

BTW any house freshly painted will look good, the question is will it stand the test of time. Grammar cues should indicate that neither a actually questions.

Any way the purpose of that was to discredit black and decker man as a painting expert.
    Last edited by jfit09; 04-27-2010 at 12:04 PM.

I second the remark about back rolling... spray alone will not fully penetrate all of the 'nooks & crannies' that are riddled throughout the stucco... you have to back roll to push the paint into these regions so that the application is smooth & uniform across the entire surface.

All moisture needs to do is penetrate an unprotected crack or fold in the stucco and it will begin to erode the coating.

This is possibly the most self indulgent statement I have ever seen, because your selling does not warrant doing a halfass job. To many people do this on a daily basis and the complain to no end when they get a lemon of a house. Irony much.

BTW any house freshly painted will look good, the question is will it stand the test of time. Grammar cues should indicate that neither a actually questions.

Any way the purpose of that was to discredit black and decker man as a painting expert.
    You are obviously looking at this from a buyer's POV, but consider the seller's POV.

A: I can pay a company $_000 to paint this stucco and have it backrolled and all. This new owner will never have a stucco issue again.

B: I can do it myself for a fraction of the cost, wont be perfect but will look 1000 times better than it does now.

As a seller, I wouldn't be giving any guarantee's on an old house like this, let alone on the stucco. Buyer should do his due diligence and evaluate what has to be done to the house in 1, 5, 10 years down the road...

Hate to be the devil's advocate here but this is the way it works in the 'real' world.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

If you like... I own a 200k / year account at cloverdale, and I can purchase the paint for you at cost, then you can pay me back whatever it cost me. it works as a write off for me, so we're both doing eachother a favour. you'll save at least 50% on the cost of your paint and get superior quality compared to anything anywhere else.

DONT USE anything from home depot... lol. I can do either your flat latex, the paint everyone here is talking about or the elastomeric. I would recommend the flat latex, you'd need to back roll the elastomeric for sure.

My company can also paint your home, but everyone here seems to think 6k is a little too much to paint a home so, I'll go ahead and stay out of that whole conversation.

btw last year my company painted 313 homes in the calgary area, average price was 9400.

My Ride
    09 honda fit

Originally posted by bimmere92

You are obviously looking at this from a buyer's POV, but consider the seller's POV.

A: I can pay a company $_000 to paint this stucco and have it backrolled and all. This new owner will never have a stucco issue again.

B: I can do it myself for a fraction of the cost, wont be perfect but will look 1000 times better than it does now.

As a seller, I wouldn't be giving any guarantee's on an old house like this, let alone on the stucco. Buyer should do his due diligence and evaluate what has to be done to the house in 1, 5, 10 years down the road...

Hate to be the devil's advocate here but this is the way it works in the 'real' world.
    I don't care if you DIY but do it right don't be a shoemaker.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

U dont always have to back roll. I'd say 90% of the industry doesn't... If you hit the stucco from the top, bottom, left and right with two coats, your fine.

My Ride
    charger R/T w R&T, soon 2010 camaro

So u made around $3 million last year?????

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

Originally posted by banned3x
    So u made around $3 million last year?????
    something like that

as far as OP,

If its a fully elastomeric its not actually a paint its a coating, and you cannot spray it with that black and decker you would need a graco 690 with a .23 tip. you would also need to back roll it. the 2 coat thickness is anywhere from 4-6mm and it will dampen the texture of your stucco. This product is great for stucco that is in very bad repair as it will hold it together for a few more years.

There are semi-elastomerics like ICI DULUX DIAMOND as I talked about above which has good properties of both a paint and an elastomeric coating. I'd recommend this if your stucco is in good repair and you plan on staying in the house for a length of time.

The 100% Acrylic "Stucco Paint" is fine as long as you apply it properly. 5-7year life expectation 2-3 years looking new.

As far as mildew resistant great if you have that problem I would bet you don't assuming you live in Calgary.

Myself personally I would never buy a behr product, its over priced for what you are getting.

If you want to know more as there is more to tell PM with your questions.
    Funny this popped into my head today. I was back at this house that I painted back in July of 2007. I took one pic right after I finished the painting, and another today. Without cheating and looking at the exif data, can you tell the difference? Seems to me this paint job lasted not bad at all:

Close up of stucco/paint

Originally posted by InRich
    U dont always have to back roll. I'd say 90% of the industry doesn't... If you hit the stucco from the top, bottom, left and right with two coats, your fine.
    I would always back roll, the problem is you can never get all the angles covered with a spray gun and you may one day find that angle that wasn't covered and feel pretty stupid. There really is absolutely no reason not to back roll other than pure laziness. It really is minimal extra cost to get a pole and a high pile roller (20+mm is what I used to use if I remember correctly). That way you'll get a nice even coat, no drips everywhere and a lot better finished product.

Are you a painter? I ask because ive never seen or worked on a crew (back when I worked as a painter) that didn't back roll while spraying, wondering where that 90% comes from....

Default Re: Painting exterior house (Stucco)

Originally posted by redbeast
    Just wondering if anyone here has repainted their house that is made of stucco? This is not new stucco but older stucco that needs to be repainted.
    I've seen newer paint by Behr that is elastometric which has some sort of flexible, mildew resistant and waterproof paint.
    Has anyone had experience with using this paint?
    Then there is your regular acrylic latex stucco paint. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of both types of paint.

Thanks,
    for exterior paint work, we have to warranty the work, so best is always to wash the exterior surface, that helps ensure paint adhesion, no matter which type you use
    this doesnt mean using a high pressure sprayer necessarily, and risk making more of a mess than helping, just a simply cleaning to clear off debris and dirt

for older stucco surface homes, the last i did we used a uprated exterior latex (sherwin) which is an elastomeric, and it is sprayed on
    it's simply masking off, and using a low pressure sprayer
    we dont roll on as properly sprayed you hit all the surfaces and rolling can tend to pull paint off as much as put it on, for this type paint thickness (2-3 mil) is important and so sprayed

an elastomeric paint is designed for surfaces which are not necesarily solid, meaning they flex to some degree, or are exposed to unusual tempurature differences, this includes brick stucco and concrete surfaces

$6K is on the high side for a quote, they may have estimated high for labor because they intended to cut/roll, vs spray

OP if you want paint discount let me know, or if you need a quote LMK

good luck
    Last edited by garnet; 05-14-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    "Drive your business, let not your business drive you" ~ Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast