Quantcast
Advice in choosing vehicle :) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice in choosing vehicle :)

My Ride
    EP3

Default Advice in choosing vehicle :)

Hello everyone,

I have been a lurker for a while on this forum and have finally decided to join since I like what the forum has to offer to all of us enthusiasts in Alberta.

So I have pretty much been driving beaters all my life and figured that I should take a leap and get something nicer.

I will probably daily drive it but am also considering purchasing a little winter beater...

It will be either the G35, G37, or the RSX Type-S. Would like to go for a BMW or a Benz but I would be kind of overextending myself.

Pricing is not an issue although I would like to keep it under $26,000 after importation unless I decide to go for the G37.

1. 2007 G35 6MT Ivory Pearl White. CPO vehicle, 50000 Miles, 3 owners (From the exchanged e-mails, current owner seems very obsessive about how he maintains his cars) and oil consumption issue has been resolved with a new version of Rev-up motor at 24000 Miles (Hand built in Japan) and replaced clutch at 34000 Miles. Seller asking $22,000.

2. 2008 G37S 6MT Gray 35000 Miles, 2 owners (Was used as a corporate vehicle for the first owner so that kind of worries me). All options including navigation. Dealership asking $26,000.

3. 2006 RSX Type-S Taffeta White. 50000 Miles, 1 owner. Pretty much all options except for heated seats I think. Dealership asking $16,000.

So I am pretty much leaning towards the G35 or the RSX but I am also concerned about its resale value down the road if I wanted to get rid of it. Would the vehicle being in a recall affect its resale value down the road? I mean, the motor is an advanced version (Reliability wise) and the owners were a lady and a ~32-year old man.

I love the RSX but am leaning towards a classier vehicle.

Thanks very much for your inputs and have a wonderful day!!!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-17-2019 at 09:33 AM.

My Ride
    EP3

Yeah, but kind of looking for a 6MT if possible. I noticed that Accord EXL's go for a bit higher so I don't want to go that route.

I was maybe just thinking about that RSX, it's just that I would like some torque in the low RPM's ya know...

But then you give up a little bit of resale and reliability...

Keep them replies coming!!!

Here's my thoughts for what it's worth

- i wouldn't buy a 6spd g35; I've read lots of issues with the rev up engine (oil consumption; heck, it's almost seems like it's the norm now to just rip otu the engine if it has consumption witht hem) and the trannies (constant replacements). I think the first one demonstrates that - it's 22k because it's had to have the engine, clutch, (and porbably tranny) replaced at some point

- forget resale value with a g35/37. I got mine in 03. Paid 51k. Sold it yesterday for 17k. 55k miles, fully loaded (navigation, etc..), minor mods, well maintained and cared for. One of my friends was selling his 06 (or maybe 07, I forget) and he had a bitch of a time selling it. I joked with him about it back then because you see G35/7s everywhere, so how hard could it be to sell...it's a popular car. Well, I almost had ot give mine away for free to get it to move.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Miles? Are these American cars? Since you are leaning towards a classier vehicle get the G37 as even if the RSX turns out to be a nice car you will always wish you went with the more upscale car. Pass on the G35. New engine and new clutch means it's been through a lot. RSX is a solid car though for a daily driver and pretty reliable. Regardless you should get the cars inspected by a trusted mechanic if you don't know what to look for yourself.

Oh and as always someone will inevitably post up "get a WRX". Ignore them as you are leaning towards luxury/reliability not a hopped up Corolla minus the reliability with AWD.
    Last edited by heavyD; 04-27-2010 at 01:18 PM.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Don't some of the Acura TL's have a 6 speed?

EDIT - Here is one - KMS are a little high, but still a super nice car IMO

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ201276616

I will sell you my 2004 S4 for $26k. It has a 6 speed.
    Last edited by syeve; 04-27-2010 at 01:23 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

"American car" and "resale value" should not go in the same sentence.

My Ride
    EP3

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I do understand that the Rev-up motors (2005-2007 models) create oil consumption issues and as demonstrated in my first post, it has been replaced with a Version 2 (Hand-built from Japan, seller will verify upon request) as well as a new clutch. Don't know about the entire transmission.

So if the vehicle has been recalled and whatnot, that depreciates its resale value eh?

The car looks so minty tho you know. No accidents and all service records available. I just think it should last a long time as long as I take proper care of it.

You guys still wouldn't go for it if you were in my position eh?

By the way, the seller is in the USA, not in Canada.

Thanks

A US car that's had the engine and clutch replaced (and I'd wager something to the tranny - I've seen so many people with issues and eventual replacements I'd almost bet it was done or will have to be done)........I'd walk far far far away from that deal.

Btw, are your prices USD or CDN?

My Ride
    EP3

Syeve, the TL Type-S from 07 to 08 came in a 6-speed manual if I am not mistaken.

And yes benyl, I agree with the fact that American cars don't hold its value compared to its Canadian counterparts.

Heavyd, the G37 has been a corporate vehicle as its first owner so I am worried that people just bag the crap out of it. Hence, that's why it's so cheap I guess...

That's what bothers me the most. I would love to jump ship on a E46 M3 (My dream car) but don't want to fork out ~$40,000 and have to spend extra on repairs. On the other hand, RSXs are great but some days I am going to wish that I didn't cheap out and spent a little bit more extra...

My Ride
    EP3

2EFNFAST,

All prices are USD. Thanks for your advice. Any other suggestions? Would much rather prefer Japanese over German (Maybe in a few more years).

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Where are the cars actually located?

If it's a US car in USA, you have other fee's to do with importing. And it's very costly, around 2800 dollars for a cluster change and I couldn't drive a G37 without the cluster being changed. You can barely see how fast your going because the needle covers the KM/h

Could you link the cars? I almost bought a G37s from a nissan dealer here for 38, and it sound indentical to the grey S you posted.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

I can't tell you what to buy. However I can tell you what not to. Avoid any vehicle from a company that accepts government handouts.

If you like the RSX, why not go for the TSX?
    G35/37 is better than both though
    You could say that again. Booze just kept flowing. We walked home (tried to plow at that elgin monument hill park thing) haha...too cold, but that explains the night.
    -WH

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by IEatRice
    Avoid any vehicle from a company that accepts government handouts.
    Why? If I had the means I wouldn't avoid either of these...

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

I like the G37 personally.

Why buy the American versions when there are perfectly good Canadian ones here?
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    01 Nissan Xterra

Originally posted by Aleks

Why? If I had the means I wouldn't avoid either of these...

Plus one for the cts-v

My Ride
    EP3

Hey scat19,

Here are the links to both vehicles. I am going to concentrate on the G35/G37 for the time being.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

As far as cluster change goes, it is it MANDATORY? I thought all you had to change was the DRLs... I can pretty much convert the MPH to KPH in my head so I don't think that's too much of an issue...

I might even hold out until this winter because RWD vehicle prices seem to drop the most during those seasons. Should be able to find a nice one for $25,000.

Tomaz,

Because it is still cheaper (After importation dues) to import one from the US if you are able to pay it for cash. As benyl mentioned, the depreciation sucks but I think if you can find a good enough deal, you should be able to break even or take a little bit of a loss in a two year time frame.

Davesparky6,

I have also considered the TSX and the TL Type-S. Great daily drivers. But my heart is leaning towards the Infiniti because those two are FWD and I don't know if I want either cars as a 6MT. Harder to sell in the future I think...

Alexs,

Lol if I had the means, I go C63 or RS4. But to each his own I guess. The ZR1 is one sexy ride I tell ya.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by jhfreedom

Tomaz,

Because it is still cheaper (After importation dues) to import one from the US if you are able to pay it for cash. As benyl mentioned, the depreciation sucks but I think if you can find a good enough deal, you should be able to break even or take a little bit of a loss in a two year time frame.
    Linky!

Soooo, that doesn't suit your needs?

G35, it's $22k, with under 100kms (59030Miles)... And it is in Edmonton. Your $25k car in the states brought over here, plus the changeover to Canadian spec will cost you $28k+.

Just saying.... lol
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    EP3

Hey Tomaz,

That one is an auto, not a 6MT (6MTs cost a little more if I am not mistaken lol).

The $22,000 G35 is a 2007 6MT model. Yes, I am aware that it would cost roughly $26,000 after all importation costs.

But if you do a search on a 2007 6MT G35, it would be a heck a lot more...

The $25,000 car I was talking about was a G37S, not a G35...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast