Quantcast
Drunk drivers hits 245km/h! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drunk drivers hits 245km/h!

Default Drunk drivers hits 245km/h!

Lead-foot drunk driver jailed
    Very intoxicated and driving at 245 km-h

A Saskatchewan man is going to jail after being caught drunk and travelling at speeds topping 240 km-h on a highway near Regina.

On Monday, Provincial Court Judge Ken Bellerose gave Michael Lee Benz, 22, a 14-day jail sentence after he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and exceeding a blood-alcohol level of .08.

Benz, who works on a farm near Aylesbury, was charged Sept. 7 after his vehicle reached some of the highest speeds heard of in Regina court in recent memory -- peaking at 245 km-h (about 153 mph).

"That's one heck of a high speed," Bellerose said.

It was also well over twice the legal highway limit. On June 1, the speed limit on all twinned highways in Saskatchewan increased from 100 to 110 km-h.

According to Crown prosecutor Kim Jones, at around 11:30 p.m., Benz was spotted heading east on Highway 11 near Lumsden.

A high-speed pursuit ensued, with RCMP clocking Benz travelling between 210 and 215 km-h before backing off from the chase.

"They were still being left clearly behind," said Jones, who didn't say what kind of vehicle Benz was driving.

Two kilometres east of Lumsden, the vehicle ended up briefly in the ditch, before getting back on the highway. Later, Benz's vehicle ended up in a farmer's field and police arrested him. His blood alcohol levels were over the legal limit.

Jones recommended a jail sentence close to the maximum -- six months.

He said anybody going 240 km-h would need about 429 metres to brake to a stop.

"If somebody had ventured out onto the highway, there'd be virtually no time to stop," Jones said.

Bellerose opted for a jail sentence of two weeks, but also banned Benz from driving for 18 months.

"It's a message to you and everybody else," Bellerose said.

"If they're going to be engaging the police in these horrendous chases, there are going to be consequences."

Benz's lawyer Jeff Deagle said his client knows he did something wrong and is taking responsibility for his actions.

"He simply panicked," Deagle said.

Bellerose said it's a lucky thing nobody was killed.

"People like you who think they can outrun the police are a real danger," Bellerose said. "Quite often, it's innocent people who are victims of people like you."

Source: http://www.canada.com/regina/story.a...A-DEDA343F3E5A

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

curious to what kind of car hit that speed. I thought everyone in sask drove trucks...musta been a hemi.

My Ride
    GTI

Default Re: Drunk drivers hits 245km/h!

Originally posted by roopi
    Lead-foot drunk driver jailed
    Very intoxicated and driving at 245 km-h

He said anybody going 240 km-h would need about 429 metres to brake to a stop.
    Fucking bench racers, "of course breaks don't matter, every car stops in the same distance!!!"

240 and drunk that's crazy, good thing he got some jail time, IMO his license should have been suspended longer.

My Ride
    pedals

suprising he could control it. Cars are very very sensitive at those speeds (not that i would know wink wink).

tsk tsk tsk

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

crazy! they should throw him in jail for longer than 2 weeks...
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    1990 300ZX GS body w/ 1993 JDM VG30DETT front clip

thas jus scary ppl would do that, he couldve killed himself SO fast if something went wrong

Originally posted by ryder_23

curious to what kind of car hit that speed. I thought everyone in sask drove trucks...musta been a hemi.
    Bahaha. Hey mista, you gots a HEMI in them there truck? lol
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

it's not hard to control a car at that speed on a straight, which he had to be on. It IS hard to control once you jerk the wheel by accident though...

Wonder if Benz was driving a bimmer? LOL

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default 430m to stop

430m to stop from 240k/h?? Highly unlikely in anything capable of that speed in the first palce.... unless it was a farm truck on purple gas and nitrous

What are you guys talking about, my transam hit about 230km/hr-240km/hr on highway 1 while I was running from the cops. The roads out there it is easy to see wayyy ahead of you, I slowed down adn avoided the first set of spike strips and since the RCMP's SUV's top out at 170km/hr and the cruisers top out at 210km/hr it's easy to get wayy ahead of them. I wasn't drunk so they didn't give me any jail time and the maximum they can take your license away for is 18months in Saskatchewan and a seperate Canada wide suspension (yes I have no license anymore)

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Originally posted by Weasel
    What are you guys talking about, my transam hit about 230km/hr-240km/hr on highway 1 while I was running from the cops. The roads out there it is easy to see wayyy ahead of you, I slowed down adn avoided the first set of spike strips and since the RCMP's SUV's top out at 170km/hr and the cruisers top out at 210km/hr it's easy to get wayy ahead of them. I wasn't drunk so they didn't give me any jail time and the maximum they can take your license away for is 18months in Saskatchewan and a seperate Canada wide suspension (yes I have no license anymore)
    yeah ok there!!

Originally posted by CelicaST-162

yeah ok there!!
    Shocker, you don't believe me. Well if you want I'll meet up with you and show you the two license suspensions and the 1700 in fines. 1000 for dangerouse driving, 700 for evading an officer.

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Shocker, you don't believe me. Well if you want I'll meet up with you and show you the two license suspensions and the 1700 in fines. 1000 for dangerouse driving, 700 for evading an officer.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

You sound proud

962 kid Guest

http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=3

someone ban this paul walker-to-be

your my hero weasel

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Cool last name lol. But he's lucky he didnt kill anyone

My Ride
    pedals

HAHA, you cant go 240 in a Sunfire (edit fr. Cavalier)!!!! HAHAHA
    Last edited by hjr; 12-10-2003 at 02:52 PM.

My Ride
    FG, S14, Caliber SRT4

aww, take it easy on him... I think if your gonna run from the cops, at least make sure you even have a chance to get away...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast