Quantcast
How far are parking signs in effect? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How far are parking signs in effect?

Default How far are parking signs in effect?

So I came to Calgary and didn't feel like paying dt parking rates, so I drove around places and found one a 25 minute walk away that appeared to have free road parking.

Sure enough when I checked on the car the next day I had a ticket, for violating 2 hour parking. Upon further inspection, there was a 2 hour parking sign roughly 55m in front of the car, and another one roughly 62m behind it. (estimated by pacings) How far do these signs have effect? On the opposite side of the street they were every 10m or so. I think signs should have to be more often than once every 350 feet.

Also, I'm leaving Alberta for good next Monday (just in town to wrap up some stuff with a work transfer). What happens if I just don't pay it? Can't register any cars in Alberta? If one doesn't plan on ever living here again, could i just say fuck it?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

there is a sign in front and at the back of your car.....what's the problem...surely you had to drive the 50 meters to park from either direction to see the signs...ignorance is not an excuse, should have checked.

My Ride
    13 Cayenne Turbo

^^^^ What he said.

I don't think you'll have to pay it unless you try to register another car in AB, then you'll be forced to pay it. If they are major dicks they can take it to collections, then you have to pay it as well...

So you're saying it extends indefinitely? One sign and all of 17th Ave is covered? The fact that I was able to turn onto the street, drive for 200 feet, park, then walk another 100 feet and turn down another street without seeing a sign doesn't come into play? That simply can't be the case because free parking is essentially the absence of a sign, and if you go far enough regardless of the road you'll hit a sign.

Not saying I'm not in the wrong, But on the other side of the street they were every 10m or so, so clearly there's a reason, otherwise you'd just have one sign for the whole street and call it a day. That's what I'm curious about. Exactly what the rule states.

When I was in university (NS), it was all 2 hour parking, but there were 6 spots at the front of this one street with no signs. Those were all day parking. In that case 100 ft of no signs was enough to call it free parking.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

They will give you a chance to pay, if you dont they tack on a late payment charge. If you still dont pay you get slapped with a warrant. if you get stopped in AB ever again, they arrest your ass.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Default Re: How far are parking signs in effect?

Originally posted by seadog
    and another one roughly 62m behind it.

The fact that I was able to turn onto the street, drive for 200 feet......without seeing a sign
    Your estimated distaces are shite

Anyways, so what you're saying is that for your side of the road no where on the specific block you were on had a 2 hour parking sign?

If you get a ticket and don't pay we'll hunt you down, and if you're from Sask. then we'll cut your paws off too... Pay for parking like everyone else.
    Three of my favourite:

originally posted by "paulb1320"

(so tight that my hands went numb in minutes and a have bruises, infact my hands are still numb, 2 hours later)

I'm going to find each and every one of your little internet friends!

I now feel like I went into shock. I started breathing heavily and lost my sense of what was going on.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

This belongs on parking wars. God people are dumb

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by FraserB
    They will give you a chance to pay, if you dont they tack on a late payment charge. If you still dont pay you get slapped with a warrant. if you get stopped in AB ever again, they arrest your ass.
    That is true for a speeding ticket. I'm not sure they'd give you a warrant for a parking ticket... I've had my share of unpaid city parking tickets and the ONLY time it ever came up was when I went to renew my AB registration. Just paid the ticket then; no warrant nonsense.

If you don't plan to register your vehicle here, I don't think you have to pay.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Most parking signs have arrows depicting the area in which they effect. So in your case, it probably went like this:

"2 hr parking -->" You <2 hour parking>

Plus, if you're downtown on a weekday, there's no such thing as free street parking downtown.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Last edited by kaput; 04-02-2019 at 07:57 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I got the same ticket for the same thing in the same place and I'm fighting it for the same reason. Not only was the sign so far down the road but it was turned to face the other way so it would be impossible to see from one side.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Originally posted by skandalouz_08
    ^^^^ What he said.

I don't think you'll have to pay it unless you try to register another car in AB, then you'll be forced to pay it. If they are major dicks they can take it to collections, then you have to pay it as well...

The registry does not deal with parking fines. The worst that will happen is that it can (and most likely will) be sent to collections. If you decide to drive in Alberta again, i am pretty sure that this infraction will also show up on the cops screen if he was to run your plate.

EDIT:

Originally posted by Feruk
    ...the ONLY time it ever came up was when I went to renew my AB registration.
    Are you sure? I just renewed my registration with a city of Calgary parking ticket on it. I actually brought the ticket in to the registry with intentions to pay it but the employee said i had to pay it at my bank or downtown at the courts.
    Last edited by beyond_ban; 04-28-2010 at 09:11 AM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Re: How far are parking signs in effect?

So I came to Calgary and didn't feel like paying dt parking rates, so I drove around places and found one a 25 minute walk away that appeared to have free road parking.

Sure enough when I checked on the car the next day I had a ticket, for violating 2 hour parking. Upon further inspection, there was a 2 hour parking sign roughly 55m in front of the car, and another one roughly 62m behind it. (estimated by pacings) How far do these signs have effect? On the opposite side of the street they were every 10m or so. I think signs should have to be more often than once every 350 feet.

Also, I'm leaving Alberta for good next Monday (just in town to wrap up some stuff with a work transfer). What happens if I just don't pay it? Can't register any cars in Alberta? If one doesn't plan on ever living here again, could i just say fuck it?
    I just can't believe how cheap you are. you drove around looking for free parking, and did a 50 minute walk to save $10, and probably spent another $5 in gas looking for a free parking spot.

Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

OP, did you check BOTH SIDES of the street for no parking signs?

I'd try fighting it. You can take parking tickets to the First Appearance Crown too. The City prosecutors aren't usually as willing to make deals but I think you've at least got an argument that you did your due diligence. Take some pictures that clearly show the lack of signage, if you can, and bring them in. Be quick about getting the photos, because they might replace missing signs in the meantime.

Originally posted by beyond_ban

Are you sure? I just renewed my registration with a city of Calgary parking ticket on it. I actually brought the ticket in to the registry with intentions to pay it but the employee said i had to pay it at my bank or downtown at the courts.
    Unless something has changed in the last year or two, you can't pay at the Courts, but you can pay at the City Hall cashiers just up those giant escalators next to the council chamber.

Originally posted by dexlargo
    Unless something has changed in the last year or two, you can't pay at the Courts, but you can pay at the City Hall cashiers just up those giant escalators next to the council chamber.
    On the ticket it says to visit the courts in order to pay / dispute the ticket

It must have changed, then.

I know that I tried to pay a parking ticket at Rocky Mountain Plaza when traffic court was there and was sent over to City Hall. Maybe it changed when they opened the new courthouse.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by Kennyredline
    OP, did you check BOTH SIDES of the street for no parking signs?
    Signs only apply on their own side.

And parking tickets can be paid at the registry, I tried to register my car and they wouldn't let me until I paid it.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast