Quantcast
Chevy S-10 Push Button Ignition - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Chevy S-10 Push Button Ignition

My Ride
    Chevy S-10 pick up

Default Chevy S-10 Push Button Ignition

I am trying to install a push button ignition switch on my 1983 Chevy S-10 pick up. I do not want to use the key...at all.

So, my question is:

How do I hook up a toggle switch and a push button ignition switch to replace the key ignition? I want to use the toggle to open the current to the ignition switch and to turn off the engine when it is running.

Because I am a dummy...I really need simple instructions on how to do this.

What wire goes where? If anyone has a diagram they could send, or even a link to a diagram for this online, that would be very cool.

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Default Re: Chevy S-10 Push Button Ignition

Originally posted by fliguy
    I am trying to install a push button ignition switch on my 1983 Chevy S-10 pick up. I do not want to use the key...at all.

So, my question is:

How do I hook up a toggle switch and a push button ignition switch to replace the key ignition? I want to use the toggle to open the current to the ignition switch and to turn off the engine when it is running.

Because I am a dummy...I really need simple instructions on how to do this.

What wire goes where? If anyone has a diagram they could send, or even a link to a diagram for this online, that would be very cool.
    Ok, so you dont wanna use a key at all, so if a theif was to get into your truck he wouldnt need a key at all....just flick, press, drive off....have you thought about that?

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

other than hiding the current switch, it still has to be in reachable distance so it will be easy to find. Besides its an 83 S-10 other than a joy ride what would a thief want with it.
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

My Ride
    Chevy S-10 pick up

Just to clarify, I don't need suggestions locating the switch so it cannot be stolen. That part is already taken care of. I just need to know what wires to connect and where to connect them.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

You need a rocker switch with 3 positions:

OFF - ON - (ON)

The brackets means momentary on, and you'd wire your starter through that terminal. On is where the rocker switch would rest after you take your finger off the switch when the engine has started(your ignition would be wired through these terminals). Off simply opens the ignition circuit, shutting off the car.

It would be a good idea to put a switch cover over it so you don't accidentally hit the switch while driving - if you hit the (ON) position you'd grind the starter, and off would switch your car off at possibly the worst time. GL.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Plus remember that you may always need your key to "unlock" your steering column...I mean I am not too familar with the domestcs...but Imports have a lock mechanism on the column...that locks after the key is romoved and the wheel is turned past a certain point...Make sure your GM odoesn't have this feature...otherwise you might only have a drag truck...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

I dunno if it has it either, but it shouldn't be hard to bypass if you have the column sleeve off. Post some pics when you're done

Ask on S10 Forum( http://www.s10forum.com ) and S-Series.org( http://forums.s-series.org/ )

My Ride
    pedals

i have a ghetto race start in my datsun. the acc. power is still run through the key, but the starter is on the switch. For this, basically find out which wire is the ignition and trace it back to a point where you can run another wire to you momentary switch. Then just ground the other side. so you put you key in and turn it to acc. then hit the starter. you could also run two switches (first on/off second momentary for the starter) inline or as meantioned above, a 3 way switch. But again, remeber the wheel lock...

My Ride
    Chevy S-10 pick up

If I were to use new wires, new switches, and use the components that I have. What wire(s) would go to the solenoid? Which post on the solenoid do I use? What wire(s) would go to the ignition coil? What wire(s) would go to the push button switch? What wire(s) would go to the toggle switch? Do I use a toggle switch with 2 or 3 terminals? Do I run a wire from the battery to one of the switches? The part that I don’t understand is where to connect each wire.

I literally need help from someone who can make it as clear as:

“Take one wire and hook it to the ignition switch, then take another wire and hook it to…” etc.

Sorry to be so dumb.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

If you aren't comfortable with the connections, let me be the first to humbly suggest that you take it to someone who is.

EDIT: At the very least, if you are going to do this and you don't know, you should buy a Haynes manual for your truck and look through the wiring diagrams. I'm pretty sure there isn't an engine immobilizer in that old of a vehicle so its not going to be anything complicated, but you can really screw stuff up if you don't know what you're doing and don't know what to look for. Then there's always the possibilty of getting jolted with 12 volts of wake the hell up!
    Last edited by 1badPT; 12-10-2003 at 05:52 PM.