Quantcast
Obtaining a Work Visa for the US? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Obtaining a Work Visa for the US?

Default Obtaining a Work Visa for the US?

I did a quick search on the forums and google, but could still use some advice/tips if anyone can help.

I just graduated with a BCOMM degree, and am looking for something new. I'd really want to move down to the states for awhile, but know that the Visa process can be complicated/drawn out. I've been on websites trying to get as much information as possible, does anyone know of who I could contact to get the ball rolling? Would I phone or go into the consulate office here in Calgary?

I'm just looking to get a temp work visa, so that I can sustain myself while I am down there. I've also considered going to graduate school, and know I could get a visa once I am accepted through there, but that would probably be about a year away.

Thaks for any help.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

The visa process is really not as complicated as you think. It's really quite simple once you know exactly what you need.

You're not gonna go to the consulate office, you need to go through customs and apply at the port of entry. When you go down to the US, either by plane or car, tell the customs guy that you'd like to apply for a US work visa, depending on the type of visa, you can be approved in a matter of minutes.

Sounds to me like you would be looking for a TN work visa, it's a 1 year visa that is renewable each year, but don't tell them you plan on renewing it or plan on staying permanently at all, cause they'll deny you.

Given your profession, you're gonna fall under a certain category of the NAFTA agreement and that's how you'll get your visa. BUT, you can't just get a visa and roam the country looking for work. You're gonna need a job offer beforehand because your visa will be specific to the Company you work for.

I moved to California in 07 on TN visa, if you have any other questions, you can just PM me.