Quantcast
Travel Alberta - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Travel Alberta

Default Travel Alberta

Every weekend my gf and I usually just stay at home and waste time either in front of the TV or the mall.

This summer we will like to discover Alberta a bit more. So far, we have been to Banff, Louise, Jasper, Ice Field, and Drumheller. I have been to Lethbridge but just driving through it. Any other places worth going?

If you liked Banff and Jasper you might want to give Wood Buffalo National park and Waterton National Park a gander. Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump is also an okay one-timer if you like that historical stuff.

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

^^ Waterton is definitely worth checking out, take highway 22 down instead of the main highway 2. Beautiful drive and often faster than highway 2.

Sylvan lake is fun in the summer.

I've barely been east of Calgary, or north of Edmonton and I've lived in Alberta my whole life. I also don't get the impression I'm missing much

do you camp or hotel? Tons of awesome camping around.

+1 for waterton

Lethbridge is so so, but we usually go down to the airshow which is pretty neat.

Try elkwater out by Medicine Hat. I had to live there for work for a month. Unreal place to go. However it is quite small, when I was there we were the only ones in the hotel so the restaurant was only open if we wanted it to be. haha
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

If going south, check out Writing On Stone as well. The canoe trip on the milk river is always fun.

Here's a nice website I found this afternoon. http://www.albertawow.com/

My Ride
    '15 Grand Cherokee Summit, '18 Golf R

Kananaskis, Waterton, and Wood Buffalo are all great.

With Waterton it's worth crossing the border and checking out Glacier National Park as well.

If you liked Drumheller, then you'll like Dinosaur Provincial Park north of Brooks.

Not much of a camper. I will definitely check out the places you guys mention this summer or even as early as next weekend. We went to Banff again this pass weekend for a easy hike. Spent most of the day there, I felt great.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Do an overnight (or longer) horseback riding trip in Waterton, first and foremost.

Head smashed in I found so fucking boring. Frank's slide is interesting to see, but again the interpretive centre was pretty dry. Doing the coal mine tour in Bellevue was pretty fun and it's on the way to Frank.

Sylvan is a shitshow in the summer, which may be fun if you like to party hard but it's a tough mix of douchebags and easy going people. The 'beach' is insanely packed.

Pasu farms is a boring drive but the food is very good and the mountain view is spectaular. On the trip you can check out the Gopher Museum hahah!!!

The Reynolds Alberta Museum is pretty cool if like old planes and cars are your thing.

There are also kayaking/white water rafting trips to think about. Don't forget the NUMEROUS mountain bike trails. My mtn bike book just came in and it's a fair size, pretty stoked to finally get out this year. Moreover, there are an extensive amount of rock climbing routes that are within an hour's reach of Calgary. Climbers are probably the nicest people you will ever meet; please make sure you know what you're doing exactly before you go on your own. Experienced climbers have no issue with newbies coming along, I would know!

Tyrrell I think was mentioned but it's really cool, I need to go again since it's been awhile.

Maybe plan a fishing trip, learn to fly fish?

The one thing I notice about Alberta is that to enjoy it, you have to like being outside. History here is fairly recent and imo boring, certainly not like the east coast.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Blackfoot Crossing historical park is pretty good, if you are into native history.
    Every Calgarian should Drive Hwy 40 from Hwy 1 to Longview, or better yet, keep going south to Coleman.
    Great camping, hiking and fishing along that route. Also Highwood Pass is awesome scenery and, IIRC, the highest paved road in Canada, or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?