Quantcast
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

My Ride
    EP3

Default Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Anybody else give it a try yet? I'm liking the new look and its load time is quite a bit faster.

Its running flawlessly right out of the box on both my laptop and HTPC

Yup got it on my home box as a file server for my ps3. I can't believe how far it's come in a few years, it feels a lot like Mac OS. Very fast, everything is laid out properly, buttons for everything the average user needs.

There's still some command-line, and some things aren't totally integrated (like network folder sharing, I still had to add a samba password for some reason using smbpasswd -a). Even still, I had my box up and running in about 20 mins, streaming video to my ps3 in the other room. The thing boots up in about 15 seconds too.

I'm totally windows free now. ;D

I've used netbook version and the beta version and now have it on my desktop.

Works just fine. Very slick, little after configuration necessary to make it usable.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Looks like a good option for my work laptop....maybe

My Ride
    EP3

Originally posted by FivE.SeveN
    I'm totally windows free now. ;D
    I've tossing this idea back and forth for sometime now. As far as Windows is concerned, I really like what Win7 does and offers.

Are you using Wine to run anything (Photoshop, Games, Office, etc)?

Most of the common apps have a linux replacement. I don't use WINE for anything.

ubuntu is great for graphic plus no virus compare to big mac ..

Originally posted by Sykes

I've tossing this idea back and forth for sometime now. As far as Windows is concerned, I really like what Win7 does and offers.

Are you using Wine to run anything (Photoshop, Games, Office, etc)?
    I did use Ubuntu 9.04 for a long time as my only OS, wine handled WoW relatively okay. It was actually a great setup, though the little nagging issues eventually got to me. Like on my setup, my mic wouldn't work unless I went into volume control, muted it, and then unmuted. Stupid little bug, I don't know why it went unfixed for so long (It might still be there).

Actually I took it one step further and got a mac. Unix (BSD actually) base, so you get the stability and a ton of supported apps now. There's no question when I plug in something USB it will work first time. No re-installing the same drivers 'cause it's a new port. No retarded conflicts (Im looking at you logitech webcam pro..piece of shit).

The linux box is now a file server for holding my movies and crap I want to stream to my ps3. I know it's more than capable of replacing a windows machine, so long as you aren't running the latest games like crysis, etc.
    Last edited by FivE.SeveN; 05-10-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Ive used windows since v 3.1 and have limited experience with linux. In the last several years ive used red hat/fedora, madrake, knoppix, slackeware and finally ubuntu. I cant really compare ubuntu directly to those distos because its been so long since ive used any of them but ill try to give a few first impressions from the perspective of a mainly windows user. I guess I should get out of the way that windows 7 suits my needs perfectly and that I have no intention of replacing it, but its nice to dabble in something new.

The installation process is pretty easy, gone are the days of command line installers. The initial bootup does seem faster than some of the previous versions. The default themes have been improved upon, the default settings arnt as ugly. Some of the menu's have been improved, they have the ubuntu software center which simplifies the whole installation process. Its been a while since ive installed stuff via the command line, sure its not that complicated but have to look up a few things in the documentation.

I'll try to stick with linux for a while and see how it goes. Most of the applications I use there is a linux equivalent for. Ill probably spend the next day or so configuring the system. Probably should read a book on linux to get the most out of it.