Quantcast
Certifiable Badass - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Certifiable Badass

The Taliban should play more Bad Company 2. Then they would know that sitting at a machine gun is just asking to get sniped.

Gonna go watch Shooter again now.

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

Aww. I liked that record belonging to Canada. Oh well, he earned it.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

wow. thats awesome

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

8.6mm ish round.... I would think that in order to achieve that distance you would need a round with more inertial mass...

Crazy shot though.

on a side note, i wonder if this is how things were during the first and second war, when they did media reports on kills and what not. I can also see how its build national moral.

Oh and Fuck America!

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by CKY
    Gonna go watch Shooter again now.
    It's personal, these people killed my dog.

Now someone convince Rob Furlong to re-join the forces and get us our record back. It's too bad that his reputation got tarnished after all those false accusations that other guy in his unit got for whatever it was he supposedly did.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by natejj
    Aww. I liked that record belonging to Canada. Oh well, he earned it.
    I suck at google. Were we using a Barrett? I know they came out with a new .417 round that carries a little more heat at a longer distance than the .50..

I can't imagine the gratification of raining hell from 1.5 miles away. (when it's justified, of course)

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    CRF 250L

dang...

i was just bragging to some US Infantry guy down here in the states we held teh record... He didnt believe it.

I guess he's technically right.. doh!

Too bad we lost the record, but an awesome shot by an awesome sniper. certifiable indeed.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Certifiable Badass

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Fucking aimbot hackers...

On a more serious note, man that's an amazing shot, and he did it twice too.

My Ride
    Is fun!

Hmmmm - seems impressive, but this guy (quoted below) makes a very valid point.

"slantsix
    05/10/2010 8:57 AM
    I'm with "Templar" on this. How does one verify that the 2 guys were killed by the sniper, and not something else? (In fact, how was it even verified that they were killed... period? Was the battle won? Was the area searched afterwards? Bodies found? Identified? How?) I've heard that from lesser distances and trajectories, the slug has to be falling literally (or almost so) from above the target. How does such a shot hit a subject in the stomach? Too few details here. Probably typical of most journalists, who know nothing of their subject matter, or their editors, who either think no one cares to know the details, or is just as weak-minded as his subordinates."

My Ride
    W204

What amazes me is that the bullet still has so much velocity after a mile and a half.

Time to go play some Crysis.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by syritis
    lol deek. if he was jumping and running at the same time he could have got a head shot.

the GF's uncle had the forth (i think) longest confirmed sniper shot. something like 6700ft. looks like he got bumped.

obviously he was using the nade glitch to make the silent awp... no need for jumping around

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by CUG
    I suck at google. Were we using a Barrett? I know they came out with a new .417 round that carries a little more heat at a longer distance than the .50..

I can't imagine the gratification of raining hell from 1.5 miles away. (when it's justified, of course)

When we got the record back in '02, we were using the C15/McMillan Tac-50. cal, with 750 grain Hornady A-MAX very low drag bullets
    Last edited by btimbit; 05-10-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Originally posted by M26
    Muzzle velocity of 936 m/s at a distance of 2475 m. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that mean it would take 2.5 seconds for the bullet to reach the target?
    agreeing that it takes 2.5 seconds for the bullet to arrive. and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/sē (meters per second, per second.) then he would have to aim 44.1 {9.8 + (2x9.8) + (0.5(3x9.8)} meters above the target?

and as for slantsix's question. the sniper team consists or two people. the shooter, and the sight (i think that's his name) the sight's job is to confirm the distance, wind speed, elevation change, etc, the sight's scope is also a video recorder. hence the proof. and on top of that they will always try when the situation permits to do a site clean up. after the fact.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

Also, as quoted in the article, the shot was confirmed as well via GPS, meaning it was likely they have a satellite image confirming the kill as well.

Originally posted by syritis

agreeing that it takes 2.5 seconds for the bullet to arrive. and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/sē (meters per second, per second.) then he would have to aim 44.1 {9.8 + (2x9.8) + (0.5(3x9.8)} meters above the target?

and as for slantsix's question. the sniper team consists or two people. the shooter, and the sight (i think that's his name) the sight's job is to confirm the distance, wind speed, elevation change, etc, the sight's scope is also a video recorder. hence the proof. and on top of that they will always try when the situation permits to do a site clean up. after the fact.
    I think it drops more than that. It drops at 9.82 meters per second squared. To find how far it will drop in 2.5 seconds, you multiply 9.82x2.5 squared = 61.38 Meters

My Ride
    //M

unreal sick snipe
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

i think the posted numbers are a little off. just a rough estimate assuming target and shooter were at same level (likely not, shooter prob had high ground) but assuming the aforementioned scenario. you have to remember to factor in for the initial flight angle upwards against the pull of gravity delaying the fall. we dont know alot of factors like elevation, and also how they measured the distance. Is that distance traveled by the bullet or a bird's eye view of the x distance traveled?

Following the scenario of shooter and target at same elevation, the initial firing angle should be ballpark 0.79396degrees which over the 2475m span is roughly 34.299m above the target. with those distances travelled and the instability of the bullet over the projectile path and wind resistance resulting in loss of velocity maybe the number would be a little higher. it all changes depending on the scenario.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, been way too long since I've done a projectile calculation but i think that's a closer number assuming the scenario.

whatever the case was absolutely crazy shot.

now that i think about that. an incline of 0.79396 degrees over such a large distance even a slight variation would take you off the mark ridiculously that is insane.
    Last edited by v2kai; 05-11-2010 at 04:45 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Fucking campers.
    jk
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

distance correction - 3 clicks up.
    wind correction - 2 clicks left.

from the movie jarhead.

what i'm wondering, if the target isn't standing in front of a wall and the sniper missed would you even hear the bullet travel by, especially when you can't hear the initial gunshot?
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2