Quantcast
UoC Business vs MRU Business - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UoC Business vs MRU Business

Cool UoC Business vs MRU Business

I just recently got accepted to UoC business school and MRU business school. Trying to choose which school I should go to this September.

The reason I'm making a thread is... I want to know the differences between the two and the opportunities of getting a good job with good pay after graduating.

UoC is suppose to be a better school than MRU, but does that REALLY mean that I'll have a BETTER chance of finding a better job if I have UoC degree instead of MRU degree?

What about the coop program in both schools? I know UoC has one, does MRU also?

My friend's brother (UoC 4th year in business) just recently got into a coop-program with Shell the gas company and is already making 60k/year. But his resume is retardedly good (crazy amount of volunteering, extra curricular activities) so I'm not saying I'm expecting to get those kind of jobs.

Obviously I did some research on my own before posting this thread, but I couldn't find an answer that I was looking for.

Currently, I believe MRU is more expensive than UofC for business, but only by a few hundred dollars.
    - MRU is a Bachelor of Business Administration, while UofC is a Bachelor of Commerce. I have yet to figure out if that makes a difference or not though.
    - MRU has fewer streams within business to choose from, whereas UofC has something like 18 different concentrations.
    - Might want to check to see if MRU business is accredited or not (again, I'm not sure what difference this makes either).
    - UofC seems to have better opportunities for studying overseas if you want to go that route too.

I'm currently in Haskayne (just finished my first year), but did look into MRU's business program not too long ago to see what differences there were, and that's what I was able to determine right away. Is there any particular concentration within business you were thinking of?

Well as of now I was thinking of either finance / accounting / risk management / insurance but that's because those are the only concentrations I know of from UoC lmaoo. Obviously when I actually get into either school, I'll find out what I like and figure out which concentrations I want to study by the time I'm in 2nd year.

It would most likely be UofC Business right now. Give some time for Bissett to develop and I'm sure they'll be great. It's just that Haskayne has been there longer, has more contacts with downtown firms, etc etc...can't talk about teaching quality though as I haven't taken classes at MRU

My Ride
    2005 Tacoma, 2008 M3

Originally posted by borN
    It would most likely be UofC Business right now. Give some time for Bissett to develop and I'm sure they'll be great. It's just that Haskayne has been there longer, has more contacts with downtown firms, etc etc...

+1

MRU isn't bad, but it needs time. For instance, when applying on employer webpages and selecting your school from the list, it still says "Mount Royal College" which may scare of certain employers that are unfamiliar with Mount Royal's transition.

My Ride
    TL

go with u of c.
    good coop program
    good profs
    good faculty
    reputable
    more streams

My Ride
    02' dc5

MRC *edit* MRU is a new university do you really expect firms to take a student from their over UofC. This is completely true. Nobody takes MRU as serious as UofC, and people who say they don't care where students come from, you don't want to work for.

Give it time and MRU will have a reputation once they work things out but right now its too early to compare the two programs.

Originally posted by 2Valve0
    MRC *edit* MRU is a new university do you really expect firms to take a student from their over UofC. This is completely true. Nobody takes MRU as serious as UofC, and people who say they don't care where students come from, you don't want to work for.

Give it time and MRU will have a reputation once they work things out but right now its too early to compare the two programs.
    Do you really expect us to take a poster seriously if they don't know the difference between their/there?

There is no doubt in my mind that MRU is a good school. They have tons of great profs that occasionally teach at U of C. One big thing is that a lot of places don't really respect MRU.

Every company I've worked for (and all of my friends' that I've talked to) couldn't care less where you got your degree, as long as you have one and its from one of the many reasonably well known institutions. I started at MRC then transferred to the U of L and have a bachelor of Management - none of my employers cared what institution my degree was from. I would take the path of least resistance, because in the end it likely won't matter. Half the profs at MRC when I was there also taught at the UofC and UofL anyways so there is no difference. What matters more than anything is work experience. I went to the U of L because it was all evening classes, and I could hold a full time job at an oil company in the meantime which put me way ahead of all the other candidates who may have had more prestigious degrees and no experience.

I've been told by several people responsible for hiring that they would take a person with a regular degree and 2-3 years experience over someone with a masters/phd and no experience in a heartbeat. Personality was also extremely high on their list of criteria. A degree mostly just proves you're book smart, and that is the last thing you need in an actual work environment. I don't think I've used a single thing I learned in post secondary at any of my jobs - you just need that piece of paper to get in the door and your personality and experience will carry you the rest of the way.

YMMV, but that is my experience.

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I don't think I've used a single thing I learned in post secondary at any of my jobs - you just need that piece of paper to get in the door and your personality and experience will carry you the rest of the way.

i agree...ive experienced the exact same thing...

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Isn't it bizarre how business seems to really be one of the few faculties that the problem Mitsu pointed out is true. Does it happen in nearly as often in engineering? Law? Medicine? Science? Kines?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Every company I've worked for (and all of my friends' that I've talked to) couldn't care less where you got your degree, as long as you have one and its from one of the many reasonably well known institutions. I started at MRC then transferred to the U of L and have a bachelor of Management - none of my employers cared what institution my degree was from. I would take the path of least resistance, because in the end it likely won't matter. Half the profs at MRC when I was there also taught at the UofC and UofL anyways so there is no difference. What matters more than anything is work experience. I went to the U of L because it was all evening classes, and I could hold a full time job at an oil company in the meantime which put me way ahead of all the other candidates who may have had more prestigious degrees and no experience.

I've been told by several people responsible for hiring that they would take a person with a regular degree and 2-3 years experience over someone with a masters/phd and no experience in a heartbeat. Personality was also extremely high on their list of criteria. A degree mostly just proves you're book smart, and that is the last thing you need in an actual work environment. I don't think I've used a single thing I learned in post secondary at any of my jobs - you just need that piece of paper to get in the door and your personality and experience will carry you the rest of the way.

Listen to this guy and you will win.

I can't remember how many time's I've been telling this to my friends where I dropped out of Haskayne 2 years into my program and I'm about to interview for a job that will pay about 12k/month while they are still learning useless crap.

My Ride
    02' dc5

Originally posted by Chris101

Do you really expect us to take a poster seriously if they don't know the difference between their/there?
    Do you really think most people read THEIR posts on beyond every single word to check for spelling errors. That THERE would be funny considering it is a forum and

THEY'RE people out there that don't give a fk so stop being a troll and try to say something worth while. It's grammer get over it nobody is righting(oops I mean writing) and essay you intelligent man

But I would have to disagree with some of the post. It really depends what profession you are going into and how much respect and quick advancement you want in the industry. UofC, being around longer has more industry connection, sure the teaching quality might be similar but UofC is still more respected in the industry. That's not to bash MRU on anything, simply one is older, one is not yet proven.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Do you really think most people read THEIR posts on beyond every single word to check for spelling errors. That THERE would be funny considering it is a forum and

THEY'RE people out there that don't give a fk so stop being a troll and try to say something worth while. It's grammer get over it nobody is righting(oops I mean writing) and essay you intelligent man
    They are people out there...

But I would have to disagree with some of the post. It really depends what profession you are going into and how much respect and quick advancement you want in the industry. UofC, being around longer has more industry connection, sure the teaching quality might be similar but UofC is still more respected in the industry. That's not to bash MRU on anything, simply one is older, one is not yet proven.
    You didn't need to capitalize that shiz, I have my there/their/they're under control.

As mentioned above, they're != there are. Also you probably meant "an" essay.

Work experience, reputation of the degree. Just get both.

While all that is good and fine, make an effort to network with alumni. With both uofc and mru, your pretty limited to people within Calgary but networking can compensate for anything you lack (and more) in either area. Assuming your doing it correctly.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Link 1

Link 2
    Ultracrepidarian

Default Re: UoC Business vs MRU Business

Originally posted by daatguy
    My friend's brother (UoC 4th year in business) just recently got into a coop-program with Shell the gas company and is already making 60k/year.
    He doesn't make 60k.

Default Re: Re: UoC Business vs MRU Business

Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

He doesn't make 60k.
    Why not? I was making more than that while still going to school for my business degree at a much smaller company, and I knew other people who were too. I wasn't doing anything too special, I don't think its that uncommon.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-20-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast