Quantcast
garden / storage shed question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: garden / storage shed question

Default garden / storage shed question

we are in need of a storage shed in the yard most likely a 8 x 10.

i was trying to decide between one of the vinyl ones or a wood one.

some of the vinyl ones i have looked at seem a little flimsy and i'm not sure how they would stand up to the alberta cold so i am leaning towards getting one the wood shed packages from totem.

has anyone ever built one of these ?
    they say it's a DIY project but I want to make sure i'm not getting in over my head.
    I have never framed, shingled, or sided before.

any feedback would be appreciated

I build the Side Shed 4x8 kit from totem, real easy DIY project.

Step by step instructions are included, words and pictures

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Turned out real nice for Me

I built the 8X8, took a couple of weekends. Buy the siding kit for it because painting is a bitch with the grooved plywood they use. It takes forever. When I have to repaint next time I'm going siding! You're going to need someone to help, it's not a 1 man job.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Bump.

Any good deals on sheds? Looking for big and cheap ($6-800) and durable. (Huge back yard, size is not an issue).

Do I need to build a base? My lawn is quite flat. I was thinking just mow as short as possible and build on that.

Can I DIY a shed kit in a weekend? Or is it a bigger job than that?

You will need a base if its not included in the kit, its quite important for the shed to be sturdy.

Along with making sure the ground underneath is level.

The best deals I've found are still that Totem/Rona shed, they have their 8x12 on sale for ~$900 right now.

10%* OFF all wood shed packages

http://www.rona.ca/en/packages-all/package-shed

With 2 people, this is a 2 day job if you are both familiar with DIY projects.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Can I get more input on what exactly is needed for a base? Mine would also be going onto existing grass

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by jwslam
    Bump.

Any good deals on sheds? Looking for big and cheap ($6-800) and durable. (Huge back yard, size is not an issue).

Do I need to build a base? My lawn is quite flat. I was thinking just mow as short as possible and build on that.

Can I DIY a shed kit in a weekend? Or is it a bigger job than that?
    Cheapest / easiest bet will be a vinyl Costco job when they go on sale (fairly often). We put up a 15x8 in a short afternoon between 2 people at my FIL's house, directly on the grass (which made it a giant pain in the ass - had to flex the plastic base it comes on to make panels fit together). It's still standing, looks just fine.

For my own shed, I custom built one after creating my own plans in sketchup because it needed to fit in a 5' wide gap between my garage and fence on an infill lot. For that one I built the bottom with 3/4" PT plywood on 2x6 joists on 4x4 skids on 18x18" paving stones levelled out on gravel. Fitment worked out way better. This one took the better part of a summer (weekends only) by myself, acquiring a lot of knowledge along the way and a few hundred worth of tools.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

Originally posted by supe
    Can I get more input on what exactly is needed for a base? Mine would also be going onto existing grass
    I'd probably cut out the sod and lay down a good layer of compacted road crush gravel so that the shed doesn't sink or shift over time. Typically the DIY wood kits come with 2 or 3 pressure-treated 4x4's that you lay down on the ground as a bit of a foundation, and the shed floor sits on top of that.
    Last edited by gogreen; 09-23-2015 at 10:28 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Strider

For my own shed, I custom built one after creating my own plans in sketchup because it needed to fit in a 5' wide gap between my garage and fence on an infill lot.
    Is this kosher according to bylaw and codes?

I have considered the same thing and my neighbor has one
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by supe
    Depends what the shed is made of, how level your yard is and where it's going to sit.

You want the floor to be flat. Ideally I'd go with a base of plywood on 2x6 joists on concrete deck blocks like these: https://www.lowes.ca/block/handi-blo..._g1436264.html just to keep it off the ground.

If you're doing a vinyl shed, you could probably get away with a base of paving stones like these: https://www.lowes.ca/garden-stones/d..._g1440869.html but you'll want to make sure they're flat/level.

Wouldn't recommend doing it directly on grass. It might look nice and flat/level, but it's not.

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

Originally posted by killramos

Not sure, but to be safe you might want to maintain the 0.6 m setback mentioned in the CofC garage bylaws. However, the website also states:

"The required 0.6 metre building setback can be reduced to 0.0 metres if the wall is constructed of maintenance free materials and there is no overhang of eaves onto an adjacent parcel."

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/H...and-sheds.aspx

I custom-designed a 3' deep x 5' wide half-gable shed to fit between our side entry landing and the basement window and it's plenty big for stuff like the lawn mower, wheelbarrow, etc.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I have a vinyl one...no issues with it whatsoever. It is 14 years old....still looks new.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by killramos

Bylaw is here, section 345:
    http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...law_1p2007.pdf

There has to be a 0.6m setback unless the shed is less than 10 sq m (which it probably would be) and it's built from maintenance free materials or the neighbour grants an easement for maintenance.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Hmm. I'm running out of weekends, didn't expect to hear it takes more than a day or 2... guess I'm parking outdoors all winter.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by jwslam
    Hmm. I'm running out of weekends, didn't expect to hear it takes more than a day or 2... guess I'm parking outdoors all winter.
    You should be able to tackle it in a weekend (maybe 2 including surface prep) if you buy a kit.

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Originally posted by Strider

Bylaw is here, section 345:
    http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...law_1p2007.pdf

There has to be a 0.6m setback unless the shed is less than 10 sq m (which it probably would be) and it's built from maintenance free materials or the neighbour grants an easement for maintenance.
    Exactly what I did... I built a 4x8' shed this past summer. In retrospect I should have made it 6x8' but the shed base was done 3 years ago and I wasn't planning on messing with it.

I like how you hid the unfinished side from the wifey, lol.

"Honey, it's built. Just don't go out on the bike path or use the back gate!"

If its 8x10 or smaller, you can do 2x4 base, 16in on centre, with T+G flooring.
    Exactly what im doing on a skid base of 3x 10 ft 4x4's.

I leveled the area with topsoil and compacted it, then layed the skids down, built the base, squared it, and then toescrewed it into the 4x4s and layed the floor.