Quantcast
Mustang guys.... project car question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Mustang guys.... project car question

Default Mustang guys.... project car question

Hi guys,

I am starting to think about picking up my first proper project car. A garage queen I can build up and then drive the piss out of. As much as all the other cars have piqued my interest I have LOVED the mustangs. I was one of those 16 year old kids with a mustang hat and poster on his wall. Now that I am able to afford to do some of this it is a lot harder to actually pull the trigger.

Armchair tuning is a lot easier than this!

My problem is I am always in love with the latest and greatest and with the announcement of a 5.0L 2011 I really want one of those. I have always had a soft spot for the terminator but they seem really expensive for an older used mustang.

The 4.6 to me doesnt seem like the best platform and an 80's LX foxbody doesnt really appeal to me. Personally I would like a 1996-2003 body style with a 5.0 in it. Can you swap one of those in? What else could I be looking at to do? It wont be a daily driver and if it takes me a year so be it.

edit: Good example, I know the interior sucks but I love the exterior of these. 40th Anniversary stang. Would like a decent engine in it though (maybe there is one but what do I look for).

Last edited by Cos; 05-19-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

I had a 1997 Mustang GT with the 4.6L Engine. Bought new and the next day the mods began.

First thing went in was 4.10 gears, few days later the Super Charger and headers where put in. Also H-pipe installed with the cats out. It ran mid 12's at the track here.

It was a fun car to drive till a year later some B!tch ran a red light and T-Boned it. RIP.....

^^ '97 did they have the 4.6? Manual? What power do you figure you were putting down?

'96 was the last year of the 5.0 right? it had the older looking style that KIND OF looked like this.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

first of all 94-98 is one body style, and 99-04 is another body style.

The 5.0 engine was last seen in the 95 gt, and maybe the 96 gt as well, im not sure right now. So you could find a 5.0 in the body style you like without doing the swap.

And you CAN swap a 5.0 into the 99-04 body style as well.

87-93 Gt's with the 5.0 and 5sp are sick cars and you can make them really fast for really cheap. 10,000cdn can get you very good numbers, and that includes a list of mods AND the car....you can find good condition foxbodies for around 5g.

gl.

Originally posted by leftwing
    first of all 94-98 is one body style, and 99-04 is another body style.

The 5.0 engine was last seen in the 95 gt, and maybe the 96 gt as well, im not sure right now. So you could find a 5.0 in the body style you like without doing the swap.

And you CAN swap a 5.0 into the 99-04 body style as well.

87-93 Gt's with the 5.0 and 5sp are sick cars and you can make them really fast for really cheap. 10,000cdn can get you very good numbers, and that includes a list of mods AND the car....you can find good condition foxbodies for around 5g.

gl.
    Thanks for the correction. Your right. They had they had the same body but got rid of the old 5.0 back then.

I guess really I would like to pick up a 99+ mustang, just feel that the engines are a POS. I would like to get a 5.0 or even Ford Racing 5.4 in there. Dont want a $10,000 engine though.

I think the GT500's had the 5.4 so I am not sure if there is a direct bolt up if I found a wrecked F150.

Originally posted by Cos
    ^^ '97 did they have the 4.6? Manual? What power do you figure you were putting down?

'96 was the last year of the 5.0 right? it had the older looking style that KIND OF looked like this.
    I think '96 was the last year for the 5.0L, when i bought mine in 97' they started to put the 4.6L in it. It was a 5 spd manual.

I had TOMA Dyno it. Stock it put down 196 RWHP. With the mods it was close to 350 RWHP.

^^ wow.

Thanks for the input. I may have to look at a 5.4 swap.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

5.4 swap would be expensive as hell

Why not build the 4.6 and put a stroker in it?

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/product2780.html

Honestly bro the 4.6 engines arent that bad at all... Your not gonna get a 5.0 engine in there, Their absolute shit and that car is heavy as piss, If you did a stroker to a 5.8 with a Windsor block youd have some fun for sure and a hella fast car.

WMS has a 97 Cobra engine right now I beleive with super low kms for sale? Give them a shout and theyll give u a price over the phone im sure.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

If you want a fast car tho, Save your money building the GT and just get the Cobra.

I have a feeling im gonna be swapping the Bullitt in the close future and get myself a low KM stock to lightly modified terminator from the states.

buy the cobra. blower whine > *

My Ride
    Ferrari

I think you should just buy a cobra. For the extra cash, you get a hell of alot more car.

I was thinking of pickin up a Mach 1 this summer. Although not a cobra, I really do enjoy the drive. And the engine makes fantastic noise.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

Just buy a 1994-1995 gt, and get a trickflow engine kit. I picked up my 1994 for 3000 bucks last year. 5.0 is not a peice of shit hahah neither is the 4.6. The 4.6 with 32v heads and a kenne bell is a beast, but you can buy a 5.0 fox or sn-95 for cheap and build that engine to the same power. Reading up on the engine and getting some good advice is really important though.

What sort of cash would I be looking at for a Cobra out of the US?

In Canada IF you can find one they seem to be mid 20's

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Cos

just feel that the engines are a POS.
    4.6 16-valve are POS's,

4.6 24- valve and 32 valve are good engines, and respond quite well to mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

You might want to ask questions on performance-shop.com
    Lots of local people there with Stangs.

1995 was the last year for the 5.0 .

I sold mine a year ago.I REALLY miss it. The wife doesn't ..
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

My Ride
    96 Mystic Cobra and 96 Mustang GT

If you want to drag race buy a 96-98 cobra(solid axle). If you want to auto-x, road race or want a good ride on the street buy a later model cobra with IRS

I own both a 96 GT and a 96 Cobra, the GT is weaksauce

The 4.6 DOHC engine in the cobras is an absolute riot to beat on, and very tame for street use.... Nothing better than a v8 revving upto 7k Not to mention that they respond to boost very well... 96-98 even better. They have an aluminum block that was cast in italy, as opposed to the inferior windsor alum block... termi's have a cast iron block.

If your local and want to go for a spin PM me!

My Ride
    03' SVT Cobra 10th ann vert

seems like he wants to spend around 10 grand, you wont get a Cobra for that much, even out of the states you are going to pay 20 grand.

Just go with a 1999-03 GT, my neighbour just got a 2000 gt 61 000km for 6500 bux. you can make it as fast as a cobra for $10 000 all in.

everyone wants a Cobra now

Originally posted by Cos
    What sort of cash would I be looking at for a Cobra out of the US?

In Canada IF you can find one they seem to be mid 20's
    For a low mileage, non-heavily modded (personally, I wouldn't want one that's running crazy mods, ported/pullied/exhaust/intake/tune is as far as I'd trust most people) you're looking low to high 20s, whether you bring it from the US or buy it here.

Originally posted by Moe Man

everyone wants a Cobra now
    best winter beater eva

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

Default Re: Mustang guys.... project car question

Originally posted by Cos
    [B]Hi guys,

I am starting to think about picking up my first proper project car. A garage queen I can build up and then drive the piss out of. As much as all the other cars have piqued my interest I have LOVED the mustangs. I was one of those 16 year old kids with a mustang hat and poster on his wall. Now that I am able to afford to do some of this it is a lot harder to actually pull the trigger.

Armchair tuning is a lot easier than this!
    [B]
    I'm in the same boat as you......always wanted a stang, collected everything mustang (you should see my basement - books, diecast, literature, Shelby Chili, etc.) and was finally able to have some $$ aside to pick one up. Now, i have mustang A.D.D...

Been through an 07 GT500 coupe (had to sell due to the arrival of our twins), a 98 Altantic blue cobra ragtop for part of a summer and now, i've got an 04 terminator ragtop. As usual, timing is wreaking havoc with me (yet again) as the 08 GT500 ragtop i've been chasing is suddenly available. I'm torn whether to sell the terminator (christ, i just got AB plates on it Monday) as the wife likes it.....but the shelby would have more room in it for the kids...

PM if you might be interested at all in it....26k miles,completely stock, owned by a 62 year old guy who kept it in Palm Springs, torch red, new tires (Rikon Raptors) that have about 1500 miles on them...only belmish is a cracked fog light lense (i have a new one, just haven't had time to put it on yet)...I was gonna put her up on the marketplace after the long weekend once i'm back..

Chris

My Ride
    You Crazy

There is no cheap way to do an engine swap.

You'll spend 10g's by the time it's done.

Sometimes you find complete take-out motors, engine/trans.wiring/computer, and they run about 10k for a supercharged Cobra motor.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast