Quantcast
Cigars? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cigars?

Default Cigars?

Are there any cigar smokers out there? I got some cubans from my buddy whose had them over a year now in his freezer. He said he paid $160 per box or something like that but he doesn't smoke them lol

anyways I took them and I'm hoping they are not ruined, will they recover if I put them in a himidor?? (I'd have to go buy one)

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: Cigars?

Originally posted by nonofyobiz
    Are there any cigar smokers out there? I got some cubans from my buddy whose had them over a year now in his freezer. He said he paid $160 per box or something like that but he doesn't smoke them lol

anyways I took them and I'm hoping they are not ruined, will they recover if I put them in a himidor?? (I'd have to go buy one)
    Nah, sounds like they're pooched.

Talk to Jason at Epicure Cigar and Pipe and see what he can tell you. He might be able to give you some good news.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Default Re: Re: Cigars?

Originally posted by A790

Nah, sounds like they're pooched.
    If they were placed in an air tight box/bag, I think they will be fine.

Leave them in a very closely monitored and controlled humidor for about 3-4 months and you can bring them back to about 80-85% of what they used to be.

If not in an airtight box/bag... I am not sure - probably no go.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Well I bought a humidor so I'll let em sit in there for a while.
    what a dumbass

My Ride
    PL24T

Default Re: Cigars?

What brand are they? They are probably dried to shit and freezerburnt.

My Ride
    TL

any chance you came in to sheffields today? i was in the back and overheard the exact problem haha.

Lurking in some bushes outside your house
    My Ride
    S14/D21

Default Re: Re: Cigars?

Originally posted by drew_goring

What brand are they? They are probably dried to shit and freezerburnt.
    No doubt.

It costs you nothing to try to revive them but don't expect miracles.

well it cost me a new humidor haha but i've been wanting one for awhile so its all gooood .

They are Monte Cristo No 4 and Cohiba Esplendido (I think).

No i wasn't in Sheffield, I went to the shop in Willow Park.

I've been spraying the humidor inside with water and kept a wet sponge in there as well as the humidifier being wet, and it still is only at 50% humidity. It should be around 70% for the cigars right? Is that b.c the humidor is new?

My Ride
    TL

are you using tap water or distilled water? you don't want to use tap water because of the minerals inside of it. you can always use propylene glycol instead of distilled water

ya I bought some distilled water.

My Ride
    PL24T

well it cost me a new humidor haha but i've been wanting one for awhile so its all gooood .

They are Monte Cristo No 4 and Cohiba Esplendido (I think).

No i wasn't in Sheffield, I went to the shop in Willow Park.

I've been spraying the humidor inside with water and kept a wet sponge in there as well as the humidifier being wet, and it still is only at 50% humidity. It should be around 70% for the cigars right? Is that b.c the humidor is new?
    I'll tell you right now that 99% chance the cigars are fake. Might still smoke decently but there is no way a box of Esplendidos was $160. Not losing anything by trying. Best case, you have some farm rolled cigars made from long fill Cuban tobacco. Worst case you have some piece of shit full of newspaper and other junk as filler. I've seen both.

Are you reading the RH from an analog hygrometer? Most are very unreliable...even more so if they haven't been calibrated. I am not a fan of 70% humidity, especially for Cuban cigars. I try to keep mine lower...between about 63 and 65% and find that my cigars smoke and burn much better, however YMMV.

The humidor may take a while to 'season' (be able to maintain a reasonable RH).

I've never sprayed my humidors to season them, just wiped down the inside with a moist cloth and left it with a couple of shot glasses full of water. I'd be worried about warping the interior if the sponge is just sitting there.

How is the seal on the humidor? Take a 5 dollar or any bill, lay it over the edge and close the lid. If you can relatively easily pull the bill out the seal on the humidor is junk and you might as well throw it away. Also when you drop the lid closed it should not slam shut. There should be some air resistance when you drop it.

I'll tell you right now that 99% chance the cigars are fake. Might still smoke decently but there is no way a box of Esplendidos was $160. Not losing anything by trying. Best case, you have some farm rolled cigars made from long fill Cuban tobacco. Worst case you have some piece of shit full of newspaper and other junk as filler. I've seen both.

Are you reading the RH from an analog hygrometer? Most are very unreliable...even more so if they haven't been calibrated. I am not a fan of 70% humidity, especially for Cuban cigars. I try to keep mine lower...between about 63 and 65% and find that my cigars smoke and burn much better, however YMMV.

The humidor may take a while to 'season' (be able to maintain a reasonable RH).

I've never sprayed my humidors to season them, just wiped down the inside with a moist cloth and left it with a couple of shot glasses full of water. I'd be worried about warping the interior if the sponge is just sitting there.

How is the seal on the humidor? Take a 5 dollar or any bill, lay it over the edge and close the lid. If you can relatively easily pull the bill out the seal on the humidor is junk and you might as well throw it away. Also when you drop the lid closed it should not slam shut. There should be some air resistance when you drop it.
    I had a pretty good suspicion they were fake after I checked out the price of them. Any way to tell for sure?
    How much cheaper can you usually get them in Cuba?

So how the hell do I calibrate the hydrometer??? (it is analog). The box seems to be a good one, when u close it it doesn't go right down, you have to push it. It has a bit of a friction fit. I tried the money thing and it has a good amount of drag on it when pulling it out.

Is it possible the humidifier that came with the box isn't that good? I dunno if there are diff qualities or whatever. Are they all just a sponge inside? Also I attached mine to the underside of the lid, is that good?

My Ride
    PL24T

I had a pretty good suspicion they were fake after I checked out the price of them. Any way to tell for sure?
    How much cheaper can you usually get them in Cuba?

So how the hell do I calibrate the hydrometer??? (it is analog). The box seems to be a good one, when u close it it doesn't go right down, you have to push it. It has a bit of a friction fit. I tried the money thing and it has a good amount of drag on it when pulling it out.

Is it possible the humidifier that came with the box isn't that good? I dunno if there are diff qualities or whatever. Are they all just a sponge inside? Also I attached mine to the underside of the lid, is that good?
    Check out this link to calibrate your hygrometer:Link

Some fakes are bad and you can tell just by comparing them next to a specimen of the real thing. Some are so well done that the only way you could tell would be to have an cigar smoker smoke one who is familiar with the brand. I can't remember off the top of my head but the Esplendidos go for around 5-600CAD per box in Cuba last I was there. The cigar prices in Cuba are government regulated. Basically if you buy off the street or from a non gov't store (LCdH) you are getting fakes.

As far as the humidifier goes, most are junk because they are just that floral foam crap and get moldy real quickly. They have no way of actually regulating the humidity. They sell some gel stuff that I have seen in Canada that apparently works well. Personally I have active humidification with a backup digital hygrometer. It really depends on how involved you want to get. Attaching them under the lid is fine. If you want a proven economical solution, check out this site for humidification: link . I used them before I went with active humidification with success.

My Ride
    1993 Talon TSI AWD

As far as the humidifier goes, most are junk because they are just that floral foam crap and get moldy real quickly. They have no way of actually regulating the humidity. They sell some gel stuff that I have seen in Canada that apparently works well. Personally I have active humidification with a backup digital hygrometer. It really depends on how involved you want to get. Attaching them under the lid is fine. If you want a proven economical solution, check out this site for humidification: link . I used them before I went with active humidification with success.
    I can back him up on the beads in the last link. I use them in both my humidors and they work great. Given how dry it is here I had a lot of trouble keeping the humidity regulated with the crappy stock foam humidifier. I can ignore the beads except for a little water added every week or two. I use one of the cheap analog hygrometer and I haven't calibrated it in ages. It stays steady with the beads in there. If it starts to drop I know I've left the beads too long without water, otherwise I'm good to go.

I would give those cigars at least a couple months in a stable humidor before you try to smoke one. Good luck.

so the beads are good forever, just add water?

My Ride
    PL24T

so the beads are good forever, just add water?
    Not forever, but if you take care of them and use distilled water you will get years out of them.

My Ride
    Depends on my mood...

Yeah I came back from Cuba 4 months ago with a load of cigars myself. Buy them from a respectable source (ie: government regulated) and you can't go wrong. I had guys hounding me whenever I got within 100 feet of a reputable store trying to sell me their knock offs. Don't do it.

I know friends who bought some fakes that were made from banana leaves. Some have told me they explode if you light them up, so be prepared for a shock when you try to save a few bucks.

Not forever, but if you take care of them and use distilled water you will get years out of them.
    cool. I'mma order it.

My friend said he bought them from a store on the resort. Would they really sell fake ones there?

good to know this stuff though, i'm sure i'll find myself there one day