Quantcast
Getting STRONG w/o getting BIG - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Getting STRONG w/o getting BIG

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Default Getting STRONG w/o getting BIG

So I seem to be genetically programmed to build muscle. I could walk stairs and build tree trunk legs. I could curl a stapler at work and get massive biceps. It seems no matter what I do, my muscles always grow. I know a lot of people have the problem where they can't get big, but thats not me.

I'm more interested in just getting stronger. I want functional, useable strength. I don't like being big, i just want to be strong. It pisses me off when theres people at the gym that are way smaller than me pushing more weight. I know part of this is because im not consistent at the gym, but even a few years ago when I was going for several years straight and i was very well developed there was still much smaller people pushing a lot more weight.

Is there anything I can do to just get stronger without getting bigger?
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Lift maximal loads at low reps and limit your food intake (somewhat)

Whats your routine and diet look like now? And how big are you?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Try 5/3/1.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
    Lift maximal loads at low reps....
    Umm I'm pretty sure this is what you do to build mass as well as strength. This isn't a low body mass workout.

For building strength w/o a lot of mass, you'll want to eat low fat, low carb high protein foods. Diet makes as much of a difference as your gym routine from my experience. +1 for the 5/3/1 as well.

And OP, I wish I was like you. I'm one of the little guys that pushes a decent amount of weight and I wish I could get bigger haha. I'm 5'11" and ~160lbs and I can bench 225, 3 sets of 6 without trouble.

What's your current height, weight and body fat? I'm asking because I know a lot of people will describe themselves as built because they are 5'8 180lbs with 17" arms, but they have no definition at all because they are >18% bf. These people typically work out and only bench, curl and maybe do flys a couple times a week and tell everyone about how they "work out". I'm a stick @ 6' 165lbs but I can typically move a lot more mass than these people and too be honest I'm not that strong.
    Focus on the big three. A program like 5/3/1 could work wonders, even starting strength would do (and thats a more interesting program than the 5/3/1).

My Ride
    is Invisible

you went to the gym for several years? lol, seems like a waste of time if u are asking the question now.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by adidas
    you went to the gym for several years? lol, seems like a waste of time if u are asking the question now.
    Im pushing 8 years since I was seriously into fitness, now it's a passing interest whenever I can find enough time to get into it.

I was the strongest I've ever been when I was 20. I thought at that time that strength would come with age - kind of like *old man strength and I never really focused on getting strong, just building muscle.

Right now im 6ft 210 and probably around 14% BF. I just had a composition done at work and I was 17% - BUt that was 3 months ago, and I've lost a lot of fat since then.

I'm way off where I used to be strength wise, but as I've been pushing the weights up lately, I've noticed my muscles are starting to grow again, and I'm already happy with the muscle I have. Most of the exercises I do are more circuit and interval training right now. I also fit in lots of dynamic stuff like power cleans, and dead lifts but I always do high reps and don't go for strength.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

Originally posted by broken_legs
    but I always do high reps and don't go for strength.
    Hmmmm, might this be why you're not getting stronger?q
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Crossfit sounds like it it would fit your needs.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Lift maximal loads at low reps and limit your food intake (somewhat)

Whats your routine and diet look like now? And how big are you?
    This exactly.

Food intake is the key here. Also it was said to do a low fat/low carb diet with high protein.

Keep the carbs low, but fat high. You'll have no energy, burn muscle and feel like shit if fat is to low - let alone hormones will go to shit.

Fat is insanely important.

OP you ever been on a low/no carb diet? I'm sure you have since you said you've been at this a long time.

As well if you have you'd know at 6' 210 you'd probably drop 10 pounds of water/glycogen in the first 10 days and look flat.

6' 200 lbs isn't big is it? at 14% BF?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by Darkane

This exactly.

Food intake is the key here. Also it was said to do a low fat/low carb diet with high protein.

Keep the carbs low, but fat high. You'll have no energy, burn muscle and feel like shit if fat is to low - let alone hormones will go to shit.

Fat is insanely important.

OP you ever been on a low/no carb diet? I'm sure you have since you said you've been at this a long time.

As well if you have you'd know at 6' 210 you'd probably drop 10 pounds of water/glycogen in the first 10 days and look flat.

6' 200 lbs isn't big is it? at 14% BF?

This is a video of me

I have tried the low carb, high protein diets. It's hard to maintain.

I'm not huge by any means. I'm not bragging about my size, i just dont want to get any bigger and I will get bigger if I start pushing bigger weights again. It's hard to find clothes that fit, and a couple weeks in the gym and nothing fits anymore. I just want to be slim and strong thats all.

just do a circut workout

Originally posted by nonlinear
    just do a circut workout
    circuit workouts are for vaginas. u have one?

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Originally posted by ryansteg

circuit workouts are for vaginas. u have one?
    how are you not banned yet?

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by A790
    Try 5/3/1.
    Yes I was going to say, I've been doing 5/3/1 for the past while on and off (with breaks/vacations in between) and my strength has gone up but I'm not bigger. For example, my bench use to tap out at 115X5 but now it's at 125X10. My press was at 85X5 but now at 95X10. No squat/deadlift #'s to report haha but I still weigh 160lbs.

Well it's simple right, in order to gain weight, get big, you need calorie surplus and I know I'm not eating in enough to pack on the weight but like darkane mentioned, I do make sure I am eating enough protein.

So in essence, if you lift hard, but eat just to maintain, you will gain strength but not get big.

Wow I think that just blew my mind.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Originally posted by broken_legs

This is a video of me

Your not being sarcastic are you?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Your not being sarcastic are you?
    Maybe if he got the Synthol out he could concentrate on building muscles?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

I'm not a weight or gym kinda guy rather just try to stay fit and active. I look fit and toned but not really huge, but my muscles are surprisingly efficient. If you want to develop useable muscle strength without necessarily bulking I'd think maybe you should try some martial arts and swimming. Muscle mass kind of works against you in swimming, making you sink more and have to work harder to move through the water. If you look at harcdore swimmers theyre fit but never look huge. Just a thought (I do realise I am posting this in the body buildings section)

* disclaimer: i dont claim to know anything about gyms, proper diet or weight training. Used to be a swimming instructor and lifeguard and believe whole heartedly in 'monkey fit' way of life (see definition below of my made up terminology)

monkey fit is defined as the equilibrium of muscle mass and strength in proportion to your body. Where you can perform all actions equally well, swimming, climbing, running ...poop flinging etc, occurring from the natural training using ones own body weight and basically just maintaining an active, healthy, balanced lifestyle

My Ride
    is not from this country

look up info on cutting diet and exercise.

http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/crumcake.html

you can try ECA stack.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-ECA-Stack-Guide&id=236295

or if you dont mind the idea of oral's you can use anavar 50mg ed or find a dose thats right for you for up to 50 days on

http://www.anavar.com/

but most importantly it will depend on your diet and what kind of workouts your doing, I have a similar body type were I can bulk and gain easily but cutting and tone is difficult. There's an extreme abundance of information for you on the internet, mags and books, take a look bro! best of luck