Quantcast
tint ticket - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: tint ticket

Default tint ticket

I got a tint ticket the other day, and the officer told me something about how tinting a window makes it shatter differently and that it's really dangerous. Is this true?

story: was driving south on the QE2, cop was following me for 20kms and then eventually pulled me over for windows being tinted. Said that he was really bored and this was something he looks for when its a slow day lol. He was nice enough to write on the back of the ticket that I wont have to pay the fine if I get it removed, which i was planning on doing anyway (bought it used a few weeks ago with tint on it)

My Ride
    89 Ram, 05 Pursuit, 05 Honda Civic SI, 98 Cavalier

??? I don't know for sure, but my impression was tint was the same as how the windshield is made ... hence making it SAFER when it shatters, because the film holds the pieces together, rather than let them fly all over the place

Someone may have some better evidence to back this up - or not - as I say, it is the impression I have gotten...
    The best rules to form a young man are: to talk little, to hear much, to reflect alone upon what has passed in company, to distrust one's own opinions, and value others that deserve it.
    Sir William Temple

My Ride
    This and that.

Do you know what percentage of tint it is?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Re: tint ticket

Originally posted by wrcftw
    I got a tint ticket the other day, and the officer told me something about how tinting a window makes it shatter differently and that it's really dangerous. Is this true?

I can only see it being a problem if you drive into a lake and try to shatter glass to get out. Or in the event that someone to get you out of your vehicle in a hurry. The tinting film my add seconds to the escape.

But chances of that is so remote that I won't really worry about it. At least the officer is nice about it.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Like stated before. The tint acts like a piece of glue. It holds the entire shattered window together, when its actually suppose to break off in small pieces(shatter).

My Ride
    2017 Tacoma street queen

I have never heard of a person dying because they had tinted windows. Unless your weaker than the tint you could just push the tint and broken window out of the window sill.

Something about officer safety, like it mattes, could get shot from a 2% tinted back seat.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Tint laws are in place to ensure driver identification - not officer safety - although its a side benefit.

When struck hard, tinting windows causes the glass to stay in big shards, rather than small cubes.
    Last edited by revelations; 05-28-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Originally posted by shakalaka
    Do you know what percentage of tint it is?
    Not off the top of my head, but it's barely tinted at all. My gf who was in the passenger seat at the time never really noticed that it was tinted in the first place.

Only ever heard as 3rd person knowladge, never seen any official documentation, but the shattering is one reason. Not just for getting out, but also getting in. Maybe Jay911 has personal experience with a driver extraction and if tint caused issues with it.

Also it is a safety issue, not for police ( as mentioned rear tint is far more dangerous in that aspect ) but for identification and visibility of the driver. A pedestrian should make eye contact with a driver before stepping off the curb infront of a car. Just the general ability of people to see where the driver is looking.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    This and that.

Not off the top of my head, but it's barely tinted at all. My gf who was in the passenger seat at the time never really noticed that it was tinted in the first place.

That kinda sucks. Mine is like 40% on one car and 35% on the other and they are fairly light. Like you can clearly see through the car if it's parked or something. I have been lucky so far I guess. But mostly from what I've noticed, cops don't care unless it's like super dark.

Originally posted by shakalaka

That kinda sucks. Mine is like 40% on one car and 35% on the other and they are fairly light. Like you can clearly see through the car if it's parked or something. I have been lucky so far I guess. But mostly from what I've noticed, cops don't care unless it's like super dark.
    I think he may have just thought I was a douchbag kid in a modded car. I'm glad he wrote what he did on the back of the ticket because I was nice and polite, but he could have given me a warning or something...

I think he may have just thought I was a douchbag kid in a modded car. I'm glad he wrote what he did on the back of the ticket because I was nice and polite, but he could have given me a warning or something...

I would think him telling you to get it fixed in exchange for him not handing in the ticket is a pretty good deal.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I find it interesting that many provinces and states in the US allow side tint. In fact, most of the police cruisers have front tint on them in provinces and states where it's legal.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Park your car down the street with the front windows rolled down.

He'll see it from a distance, maybe that'll work

Originally posted by phil98z24

I would think him telling you to get it fixed in exchange for him not handing in the ticket is a pretty good deal.
    yes, and thats why I said I'm glad he wrote that on the ticket. Still, he straight up told me that he was just bored and looking for someone to pull over....would have been nice of him to just give me a warning as I told him that I just purchased the car with this tint on it 2 weeks ago.

Don't over use the facepalm smilie!!!

yes, and thats why I said I'm glad he wrote that on the ticket. Still, he straight up told me that he was just bored and looking for someone to pull over....would have been nice of him to just give me a warning as I told him that I just purchased the car with this tint on it 2 weeks ago.

Don't over use the facepalm smilie!!!
    I use the facepalm because you say it was nice of him to do this, and then in the same breath say BUT he could have done this.

Don't you think he did give you a warning by making sure you actually take the tint off as you said you were going to, and offering to make sure the ticket never leaves his ticket can?
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

It's just a law, and police enforce it because they are told to.
    Tomorrow if they were told it is legal they would stop giving out tickets for it, the next day if all tint was illegal they would start handing out tickets to everyone.
    It's a great way for the police to flex their power when they are feeling weak, it's quite simple and feels quite good to spot someone with tint and ruin their day, all those days growing up and being bullied really start to feel better.

My Ride
    XT6

Originally posted by Modelexis
    It's a great way for the police to flex their power when they are feeling weak, it's quite simple and feels quite good to spot someone with tint and ruin their day, all those days growing up and being bullied really start to feel better. [/B]
    You're kidding right?

luxor Guest

Originally posted by Modelexis
    It's just a law, and police enforce it because they are told to.
    Tomorrow if they were told it is legal they would stop giving out tickets for it, the next day if all tint was illegal they would start handing out tickets to everyone.
    It's a great way for the police to flex their power when they are feeling weak, it's quite simple and feels quite good to spot someone with tint and ruin their day, all those days growing up and being bullied really start to feel better.
    I would tend to agree to this.

Also, I'm going to face palm everyone who actually thinks a paper thin piece of tint will automatically change the physical properties of tempered glass to shattering into sharp shards. Tint film is just as the name suggests, thin plastic film with glue adhesive on one side. Tint film does not reverse the irreversible process of heat treating and rapid cooling of glass to produce tempered glass. No matter what, it will shatter into little "cubes." Next up I'm going to claim making the best bullet proof vests with saran wrap.

The window tint safety reason is also out the window (no pun intended). As I pointed out in another thread, most of the US states allow front driver's and passenger side window tints, even as low as 28%. Aren't there more gun violence in the states? Aren't there more pedestrians as well? How many times do you hear that tint was the reason mass pedestrians got struck and killed? No tint allowed for the sake of "safety" is bullshit. Tint tickets for cash grab sounds more realistic. Only loser cops with nothing better to do write these tickets.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast