Quantcast
tint ticket - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: tint ticket

Originally posted by Modelexis
    The thing that is powerful about the police is not the full enforcement at all times, the power comes in creating a sort of uneasy feeling and creating a feeling of the power disparity between someone in a uniform and someone not.

If you have a cop car in your rear view mirror and feel a chill of fear and start to panic and run over any possible violations you could be pulled over and ticketed for, if this is the case the police have done their job.

Revenue is not the total key to police, the image and fear and power display is probably more key.
    If they can scare you into not tinting your windows or not lowering your car then they have basically won, and they are doing exactly what they have set out to do.

Every now and then they give out tickets to show that there are a vast amount of laws and you are likely breaking one of them and they can pull you over at any time and hand out a ticket for one of these infractions.

If they just set up 24/7 roadblocks all over the city and handed out tickets for every infraction you would see a revolt from the public, the police are aware of this and they aren't about to start a revolt, they just need enough fear for people to be scared of them and to worry about their pretense.

Just my 2c
    Umm... sorry to burst your bubble but roadblocks and roadside inspections happen regularly in other provinces (like sask where i live) without the much desired public revolt. weve just become to pacifist to do anything and instead acccept roadside inspections under the pretense as a necessary precaution, if i can find the article there is also proposed inspection legislation in alberta.

This not only takes police time away from dealing with actual crime, putting it towards creating crime but insures that the people who can least afford a brand new vehicle are punished the most severely for driving an outdated or slightly in need of repair (like surface rust) vehicle. for example a single mom making just above minimum wage who uses an old k-car to get to work will feel the pinch of a $57 ticket for rusted muffler a lot more than any beyonder (as im sure if you ask we all make much more than 6 figures here lol)
    Last edited by qcp1; 05-31-2010 at 09:14 AM.

until that rusted out muffler falls off at freeway speed and goes through the windshield of a car behind them like it happenned to a friend of mine awhile ago. Luckly no one was hurt, but there is a reason for standards and regulations.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

sorry i should clarify... There is a big difference between cosmetically unpleasant and mechanically unsound. if you have rust showing on your car out here you can be fined or forced to fix it and prove it. and until police can see the difference between just and unjust laws they will only be seen as they are which is crooked. the morality of any one just doing their job is in question when they uphold unjust laws even the most trivial.

"the road to the holocaust was paved in apathy."

it is not just up to people to lobby the government for change but also the enforcement (you) to recognize the difference and refuse to uphold unjust or unconstitutional laws. and just doing your job doesnt get you a pass when the laws themselves are unreasonable, unjust, or unfair. perhaps this is why your profession is ranked so low in public trust these days compared to days past.
    Last edited by qcp1; 05-31-2010 at 09:56 AM.

My Ride
    NOYB.

Originally posted by DayGlow
    As for this thin film effecting the window I personally would like to hear from an emegency worker like Jay911 if it does complicate a vehicle extraction
    I just stumbled into the thread, never expected to be called out in it. Just kidding, here's my two cents though.

The only thing tint film will do to/for a window when it's being shattered is keep all the pieces more or less from flying all over the place (depending how good it was applied). Years ago, my department tried stuff similar to tint film (a little thicker, meant as security film) to do exactly this - keep glass in one spot after it's shattered. We found it does it quite well, but you can get by with a roll of duct tape much cheaper.

The only way tint or any other film might hinder the shattering process is if you're trying to break the window from the side that has the film on it. You have to get through that thin layer of plastic to actually break the glass - but that is so small of a barrier that it's not usually a problem.

Interesting to know. I didn't think the film was strong enough to complicate extraction, but you never know.

I stumbled across this on the Alberta transportation website:

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ember_2009.pdf

it lists the main reason for no tint is driver visibilty by other drivers. Also officer safety and that it changes the dynamics of the glass shattering. Doesn't list what studies they reference for that, but it does provide an answer.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Originally posted by Jay911

The only way tint or any other film might hinder the shattering process is if you're trying to break the window from the side that has the film on it. You have to get through that thin layer of plastic to actually break the glass - but that is so small of a barrier that it's not usually a problem.
    I was transporting a small air compressor in the back my Dad's car this one year and stupidly took a curve too fast. The air compressors corner frame went right into a tinted window in the back passenger side and shattered it no problem. The only thing the tint did was keep all the pieces of the shattered window in one spot.

My Ride
    Integra

Originally posted by Integra10

I just sent them an e-mail.

"To: The Minister of Transportation

I was having a discussion with a friend who received a tint ticket. I am writing you for some information. I am wondering what the reasoning is for it being illegal to tint the front side windows of your vehicle. We came up with a few theories and were hoping you would be able to shed some light on the subject. The theories we came up with were:

-Laminate making the glass harder to break
    -It makes it harder for pedestrians to make eye contact with driver of said vehicle
    -So the driver can be identified in commission of a crime
    -So police can see inside the car when they pull someone over

If you could tell us what the actual reasoning is it would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

-Curtis"

Now maybe they can put this to rest.
    Well today I got a reply:

Dear Curtis:

Thank you for your e-mail of May 29, 2010 regarding tinted windows on vehicles.

Your theories are correct. The issues with tinted front windows are: seeing and being seen; the possible increased chance of injury during a collision; and, police officer safety when an officer is approaching a vehicle.

Alberta vehicle safety legislation is in place to help ensure the safety of all users of our roadways. The issues are first one of "see and be seen"; tinting front windows can lead to unsafe driving conditions in darkness or unexpected atmospheric conditions such as fog or smoke, adding extra tinting also limits or restricts the ability of the operator of the vehicle and other road users such as pedestrians, cyclists and enforcement officers to make eye contact. Secondly, the side glass is designed to shatter into pieces in a collision without producing sharp edges; tinting the glass reinforces it, changing the way it behaves in a vehicle collision and perhaps increasing the possibility of injury due to bodily contact with a solid (non-shattering) window surface.

Alberta's Vehicle Equipment Regulation, section 70, prohibits the installation of any tinting film to the windshield and the windows to the left and right of the driver. Section 72(3) prohibits a person from operating a motor vehicle if its glazing does not comply with the requirements of Section 70. You can view this regulation on the Queen’s Printer website at:

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?pag...=9780779743193

Tinting the rear glass on a vehicle is still allowed as long as the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both the left and right side giving the driver a clear view of the roadway behind and on each side of the motor vehicle.

Thank you for your interest in road safety, and for taking the time to write regarding this important safety issue.

Luke Ouellette

Minister of Transportation

M.L.A., Innisfail-Sylvan Lake

My Ride
    oooo

My wife just got a tint ticket from a police man she pulled up to at a traffic light on Southland Drive. Her fronts are tinted very lightly, but unfortunately for us she got a $57.00 ticket.

but when i got the tint done they tell you right at Shadow that it's not legal and you may get a ticket, so really I don't understand what the bitching is about. Everybody knows it's not legal, I accept the $57.00 fine as part what goes with having the windows tinted in this province.

I totally don't agree with the law, but there are lots of stupid laws out there (ie. no street hockey law).

As far as safety goes for the glass breaking I can tell you I had the rear glass blow out on my range rover with tint from Shadow tinting and "kaboom" it blew out in little pieces all over the place.

IMO the only reason is so that a police man can feel comfortable approaching a car, which is totally understandable. In California when I got pulled over in a tinted out car the police man came to my car with his gun out. Here as soon as the officer takes his gun out everybody freaks out and he ends up filling out paperwork for weeks.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

^ Word.

I like having a cooler interior and nice leather.

luxor Guest

Originally posted by sillysod

I totally don't agree with the law, but there are lots of stupid laws out there (ie. no street hockey law).
    Tint tickets are fine. It's those power tripping cops who will cut your tint, make you remove it on the spot or get towed, or write you $114 for two windows, are the ones who are taking this stupid law to a new level and making it a big deal. I wish they had "fix-it" tickets here, more people would comply and remove their tints to avoid fine payment.

What's the typical cost to professionally remove tint from 5 windows on a hatchback?

My Ride
    Vmax

Got the stink eye today by CPS at tims, lucky for me it was coffee time. Must be the yearly crack down.

I could tell the officer was trying hard to decide to walk over to me or line up for a java. Looks like tims saved me 57$.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
    What's the typical cost to professionally remove tint from 5 windows on a hatchback?
    Why would you remove it from 5. You just need it off the front two windows.

When we all got pulled over a few weeks ago, it cost me 0 for two windows and about 20 min with windex and a razor blade.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

i dont get this front windows/windscreen tint bs, man this was sort of cool 10 years ago if you were a gang member, just take the tint, or board up your windows with plywood!!

My Ride
    TSX

It's pretty surprising to me how many people have front tint nowadays. 5+ years ago when I first got my civic, it came with front tint. I removed it the week I bought it because I knew it was illegal and barely anyone had front tint back then. 3 years ago, I decided to tint the front windows on my new car even though not that many people still had it and risk getting a ticket.. I have yet to get one *knock on wood*. Present day, everybody has it!! Nobody cares about the law anymore

Guys what about this, arent some people a little bit sensitive to run light? and prefer not to wear sun glasses? due to the fact that it might hurt ther back ears or nose? or having that left and right blind spot with out turning your head to see to ur sides?

In this case for having sensitive eyes, wont light tinting be a good idea?

I got a tinting tickit about a week ago, the cop even went and looked at the back of my car.
    I have 1 strip tinted on my tail lights, but he didnt say any thing about them.

When he gave me the tickit, he told me since I was nice and understanding he didnt give me the full ammount.

I got the $57 one... Im not sure what the full ammount is really,
    but tell next time, if I represent a doctors note about my sensitive eyse due to getting my eye laser suregery done, would I dodge a tiniting tickit for next time due to the fact that I have my tints for a good reson and not just because I want front tints?

Thanks.

My Ride
    oooo

Oh Jetta-2.0

2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

Originally posted by wintonyk

Why would you remove it from 5. You just need it off the front two windows.

I bought the car with the windows tinted. I don't want the tint and would prefer to have it all gone instead of leaving the back 3 windows.

Originally posted by sillysod
    Oh Jetta-2.0

ur answer is soo sexy i love you

My Ride
    1993 MX3

okay so my 2 cents on the pedestrian safety. If the back windows are heavily tinted you still cannot see the driver (looking into a dark room scenario) until they are upon you, even if the front windows are not tinted. So i don't see how the front windows would make any difference unless the driver was: turning right, stopped on the crosswalk, and you were trying to see if they were looking at you. In which case most people would walk behind the car anyhow. It seems to me that any situation with the remote possibility of effecting safety is being used to criminalize it, such as unproven theories about shattering glass and being able to escape the car in an emergency.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast