Quantcast
Halliburton Operator - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Halliburton Operator

My Ride
    '12 Ram1500 Sport

Default Halliburton Operator

So I made a thread a while back on weatherford field engineer info...unfortunately I didn't get that.
    However, last week I got offered an operator assistant position by halliburton and to pay my dues for having no experience and graduating in recession, I accepted.
    It's out of GP...so wanted some info on the avaerage salary, working hours(would I come home during 15on) and position in general. Also what areas are ok in GP to rent in? Looking for an apartment

Any infor would be much appreciated

My Ride
    '12 Ram1500 Sport

And it's under frac service line

My Ride
    05 Toyota Tacoma

Well I gave you some info in your last thread, and actually before Wireline I frac'd with Halliburton. I was an engineer there so I'm more familiar with that role but hopefully I can help.

GP frac is extremely busy. The hours in frac'ing are much much better than wireline. A conventional frac generally takes place in the day time, usually you have to be on site at 8am which means your day will start at around 5 or 6 to give you time to travel there. Operators work much much harder in frac then in wireline. It takes a few hours to hammer all the pipe together and get everything set up. After everything is set up you start pumping the program and generally the greener operators operate a pump during the job. After all the fluid and sand has been pumped (usually around 2 hours) you hammer everything apart and drive home. For conventional fracs my days started around 5 or 6 and I was back to the hotel by supper time.

For unconventional (multi-zone horizontal) fracs that go non-stop for several days, there's a day and night shift working 12 hours. These fracs are nice because you know exactly how long you're working, they pay great, and there's only 1 rig in and 1 rig out.

Any other question just ask. Sorry but I haven't lived in GP so not much help there.

My Ride
    '12 Ram1500 Sport

Thanks for the info.

So typically an operator works a different job everyday for 15 days on or is that seasonal, job a day during winters and only couple jobs/15 days on during summer?

This job as an operater would basically get me in the company and after year or so, I'd be looking to
    move internally into engineering field role.

Also someone told me just don't get an apartment close to downtown(100st 100ave) and it should be fine. Can Anyone validate that here?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I would stay away from downtown. It just seems greasy, and it's a pain in the ass to get around in because the city was planned by kindergarten kids.

We used to have a staff house there on Patterson drive. If I had reasonable alternatives I wouldn't look at anything around there either, but it wasn't bad.

I'd look outside the area bounded by 100th Avenue to the north, Highway 40 to the west, 84th Avenue to the south, and Resources Road to the east. Anything outside that should be fine, and the closer you get to the outskirts of town the better off you'll be, but it's kind of a big area to exclude so you might not have any options.

Stay as far away from downtown as you can and it won't be too bad.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

Originally posted by quik96
    Well I gave you some info in your last thread, and actually before Wireline I frac'd with Halliburton. I was an engineer there so I'm more familiar with that role but hopefully I can help.

GP frac is extremely busy. The hours in frac'ing are much much better than wireline. A conventional frac generally takes place in the day time, usually you have to be on site at 8am which means your day will start at around 5 or 6 to give you time to travel there. Operators work much much harder in frac then in wireline. It takes a few hours to hammer all the pipe together and get everything set up. After everything is set up you start pumping the program and generally the greener operators operate a pump during the job. After all the fluid and sand has been pumped (usually around 2 hours) you hammer everything apart and drive home. For conventional fracs my days started around 5 or 6 and I was back to the hotel by supper time.

For unconventional (multi-zone horizontal) fracs that go non-stop for several days, there's a day and night shift working 12 hours. These fracs are nice because you know exactly how long you're working, they pay great, and there's only 1 rig in and 1 rig out.

Any other question just ask. Sorry but I haven't lived in GP so not much help there.
    That is old school frac unfortunately, gone are the days of getting into the shop at 5 and fracing during daylight hours.LOL GP Haliburton got the ball rolling on 24 hour a day frac. In the past 2 years about 75% of my work in frac has been shift work ( 2, 12 hour shifts a day) I frac for Sanjel out of Red Deer but the majority of our work is north of GP now as convential oil/gas work in Alberta has shit the bed. Chancesare he will be working in the Pouce Coupe and Dawson Creek area of BC and doing 24 hour a day fracs. Arc and Talisman are punching holes all over that area .
    OP, you may as well quit there and go work at Sanjel now. Just about everybody that works at our GP shop has either quit or been layed of at some point from Haliburton.LOL

Frac is a pretty good gig to get into right now. So far this year I have made almost as much as I did in the whole year 2 years ago,these 24 hour a day projects pay quite well. We just finished the largest ever continual frac operation in the world about a month ago. 278 fracs in 104 days or something along that line. That frac operation made me about 40,000 bucks and we are set to do another starting in August and they say we will be payed better for that one, could be my best year ever.

HarryB, have you started working for Halliburton yet? Do you have any other info since you posted about the job or what it's like?

My Ride
    '12 Ram1500 Sport

Yeah I'm in training with them now. They are in need of operators...since I've been training...about 70 people have gone through/currently training. Mostly for GP frac/acid line.

That being said, I've heard most of service companies in GP are looking for people like calfrac was/is looking to fill 150 some operator positions. Sanjel, schlumberger, halliburton are all hiring for the upcoming increase in activity.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

I got hired a month ago in the GP office for Cement.. That being said I'll probably never ever meet you because there's so many god damn people working there. lol

My Ride
    cardboard box

I just got an offer for slb coil tubing division, anyone have experience with that? My O/G exp is merely roughnecking and seismic. I have an idea of what to expect, but would like some people's personal experiences
    still unsure if i want to do this..
    Thanks