Quantcast
There's overreacting, and then there's.... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: There's overreacting, and then there's....

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Default There's overreacting, and then there's....

http://ca.kotaku.com/5550609/man-spe...r+strike-rival

Guy spends 6 months doing a CSI on a dude for getting knifed in the game, then attempts to murder the dude that knifed him IN GAME.... o_o
    Geek

My Ride
    Ice Resurfacing Machine

sad sad world... some people just can't figure our what is real and what is virtual... glad to see the guy survive and miss his heart.
    "Cocaine is God's Way Of Telling You, You Are Making Too Much Money."

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Bigchuckers
    sad sad world... some people just can't figure our what is real and what is virtual... glad to see the guy survive and miss his heart.
    I think us older gamers (I refer to myself and anyone that was around when the Atari 2600 and NES were the newest and coolest thing, and having a subscription to Nintendo Power was AWESOME) had the advantage of learning at a very early age the disconnect between the virtual and the real. Younger gamers today, even those that are a generation after mine, were raised with the PC/Console as a constant reality, and, as we've seen in some sad/some funny/some shocking videos and stories, sometimes the disconnect doesn't happen. As happened in this case, the dude simply couldn't realize it "was just a game."

Hell, I get pissed when I take a knife to the back of the head in CS:Source, but about 3 seconds later after giving a good, hearty "FUCK!" I'm back into it and calm again. I'm really starting to wonder if parents actually teach their kids that games are just games, and that it's alright to lose (I actually lost a lot in my teens in games and in sports and such), because if you always win, you never learn how to deal with losing.

Ah well, I'm just waxing philosophical here.
    Geek

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Vaga, you should know that the main difference nowadays is not the games or media or anything like that. Back when I was a kid the games were WAY WAY more graphic/gore filled/destruction. Doom with a chainsaw comes to mind. But the problem with things like this is that it's no longer society playing games. It's society doing the job of parenting through media/games/marketing. Parents have ZERO responsibilities these days.

And I know I've said this a thousand times on this site but again to reiterate my point:
    I drive around Calgary and I see all these signs in the community that say please slow down for the safety of our children while kids run rampant all over the streets and parents could care less, after all it's not their job to keep their kids safe, it's every one but them. When I was growing up we were taught to stay the fuck off the road. You got your ass beat with the wooden paddle if you even thought about going near the road, and parents were ALWAYS watching.

Which brings me to my next point, kids lack discipline and parents lack accountability.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I know if I ever have a kid, they're gonna be raised with common sense and self responsibility. o_o

and yeah, I was always taught that if, playing soccer in the park, the ball went near a road, STOP. Let the ball go into the road, an adult (there was always one with us) will get it or a car will hit it, but it's a ball, it's $10, it can be replaced. Play safe.

And we did. And look at us now, common sense in an mad world XD
    Geek

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I'm pretty sure this guy has made the news before...

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Kloubek.... how could a german kid be french? And the vid you posted is an acknowledged parody vid :P
    Geek

I've broken head phones because of games or controllers, but I've never punched my buddy because he beat me in a game... let alone plan to stab somebody over a 6 month duration...
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

CALLING JACK THOMPSON TO THREAD!!

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Kloubek.... how could a german kid be french? And the vid you posted is an acknowledged parody vid :P
    I was posting it as a joke. Showing that as a kid, he must have got pretty uptight with his games.

(Though I didn't know that was a parody video)