Quantcast
Israel attacks aid ships in international water heading for Gaza. At least 10 dead - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel attacks aid ships in international water heading for Gaza. At least 10 dead

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Default Israel attacks aid ships in international water heading for Gaza. At least 10 dead

Coles Notes: Turkey has cut all ties. EU is pissed and many countries denounce the attacks. And the Arab League of Nations is having an emergency meeting tomorrow morning. Deaths could be as high as 19 with many of the passengers being Turkish.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/0...aid-death.html

At least 10 people are dead and dozens are wounded after Israeli commandos stormed a flotilla of six ships trying to deliver aid to Gaza.

Local media reports suggest the death toll may have reached 19.

The incident happened more than 60 kilometres out to sea in international waters and the two sides are offering conflicting accounts of what happened on the ships.

A reporter on one of the boats said the Israelis fired at the vessel before boarding it, and the Israelis said they only opened fire after being attacked by activists with sticks, knives and guns.

At least four Israeli soldiers were wounded in the clashes, officials said.

Tensions rise
    Israel's Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister Danny Ayalon said Israel regrets the loss of life, but he called the moves from the flotilla "premeditated" and an "outrageous provocation."

"The organizers are well known for their ties to global jihad, al-Qaeda and Hamas," he said.

"On board the ship, we found weapons prepared in advance and used against our forces."

Ayalon said Israel offered to deliver the aid supplies through the "appropriate" channels, and did "everything" it could to avoid a violent outcome.

Ghassan Khatib, a Palestinian government spokesman, said the government "condemns the brutality in which the Israeli government treated this peaceful attempt to break the siege on Gaza."

He said the Palestinians were calling on the international community to pressure Israel to end the Gaza blockade.

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said Israel had committed a massacre and declared three days of mourning.

The activists were headed to Gaza on a mission meant to draw attention to a three-year-old Israeli blockade of the coastal territory.

The aid flotilla was organized in part by the Free Gaza Movement, an international group of pro-Palestinian activists that claims the blockade is unjust and a violation of international law.

Israel has said it will tow the ships to the port of Ashdod, where a special passport and detention centre has been set up, the BBC reported.

Turkey condemns attack
    The European Union has called for a full inquiry to determine what happened, but a number of countries have already condemned Israel's actions.

Protesters take part in a demonstration at Taksim square in Istanbul on Monday. About 10,000 people have gathered in the Turkish capital to protest Israel's military assault on a convoy of six aid ships. (Thanassis Stavrakis/Associated Press)
    Many of the people aboard the ships were Turkish, and Turkey condemned the actions, while the Israeli ambassadors in Sweden, Spain, Denmark and Greece were summoned for meetings.

The Turkish deputy prime minister called on the United Nations Security Council to convene an emergency session about Israel and said Turkey is cancelling military drills with Israel.

An estimated 10,000 Turks came together Monday to march from Israel's Consulate in Istanbul toward the city's main square, shouting slogans denouncing Israel. The march follows an attempt by a group of protesters to storm the Israeli Consulate.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is in Canada as part of an international tour, but there have been several calls for him to cut his visit short so he can return to Israel to deal with the crisis.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/0...#ixzz0pVQB71FY
    Last edited by cycosis; 05-31-2010 at 05:50 AM.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

animals

My Ride
    impreza

Default Re: Israel attacks aid ships in international water heading for Gaza. At least 10 dead

Originally posted by cycosis
    ...the Israelis said they only opened fire after being attacked by activists with sticks, knives and guns...

"On board the ship, we found weapons prepared in advance and used against our forces."
    Nothing like finding boat-fulls of dangerous sticks and knives. I'm sure the ship-to-ship knife fight was epic.

Fuckers...

Protests being organized all over US iirc

My Ride
    //M

more to the story obviously than the title suggests. Israel isn't going to attack an aid boat without being provoked.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

Well in Israel's defence i have to say;

It was the extreme Turkish Muslim terrorists on these ships who wanted confrontation over delivering aid.

My Ride
    G6

Sounds like both sides are lying out their arseholes.

Yup, the spin is heavy on both sides.

What type of aid? Very unlikely to be food aid, its not Eithiopia after all. I would be assuming military aid, probably light munitions.

And no, if you can afford a boat that is in open international waters, you are not transporting sticks. Even Somali pirates have at least RPGs.

Both sides lie out of their butts yes.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 05-31-2010 at 09:12 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Last edited by kaput; 04-02-2019 at 07:38 PM.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Keep in mind that the violence toll was even. 10+ Palestinian aid workers killed, and 1 Israeli injured. But of course, they are at war so all is fair.

Don't forget that the aid crew were armed to the teeth with blunt objects. In the vid in the BBC link, check that Moslem woman in her terrorist headgear armed with a bloody folding chair!!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/mid...t/10195838.stm

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Yup, the spin is heavy on both sides.

What type of aid? Very unlikely to be food aid, its not Eithiopia after all. I would be assuming military aid, probably light munitions.

And no, if you can afford a boat that is in open international waters, you are not transporting sticks. Even Somali pirates have at least RPGs.

Both sides lie out of their butts yes.
    Palestine might as well be Ethiopia. They do not have fertile lands to grow food. Medicine, food, and other humanitarian aid needs to be imported. The good thing is that Israel "allows" aid to be sent to Palestine. UN claims that the allowable limits are far below acceptable limits. Israel says take it or leave it...

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Originally posted by kaput
    I wish the world would hurry up and fall apart. I'm tired of waiting. I already know which beach I'm going to live on like a castaway for a few years when it happens, and I'm really getting anxious for a vacation. I wonder if North Korea has an ambassador in Israel?
    I picked out a rather nice cave in K-country to live in. I have a stock pile of ammo for hunting. I'm good to go.

Fuck Israel and fuck Palestine.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Yeah, Israel thinks it's the US now, policing the world and international waters as it sees fit.

Douche Bags

My Ride
    You Crazy

Israel says its soldiers boarded the lead ship in the early hours but were attacked with axes, knives, bars and at least two guns.
    The six-ship flotilla, carrying 10,000 tonnes of aid, left the coast of Cyprus on Sunday and had been due to arrive in Gaza on Monday. Israel had repeatedly said the boats would not be allowed to reach Gaza.
    and the epic fail

"Unfortunately this group were dead-set on confrontation," Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev told the BBC.
    Who was dad set on confrontation? hahaha... hypocritical sob's lol.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Not at all surprised!

Netanyahu, who began a two-day official visit to Canada on Sunday, is now expected to cut short his visit and leave after his 10 a.m. ET meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Netanyahu will forego a planned joint news conference and a gala dinner.

He has also cancelled a Tuesday meeting with U.S. President Barack Obama in Washington, officials said.
    At least that piece of garbage (and his god-awful combover) is going to be leaving the continent sooner than planned. Gotta look for that silver lining. Question is will Canada actually condem the attack or just continue to "regret the loss of human life"? I'm not holding my breath...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Russia and US need to reduce their nuclear stockpile. They should just unleash them into that region and call it a day. This has gone on long enough.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-31-2010 at 11:57 AM.

My Ride
    02' dc5

Both sides B.S. like crazy.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by 2Valve0
    Both sides B.S. like crazy.

nothing do with the other side

Internationals were bringing Aid.

Israel doesnt care, they even attacked a US congress woman in a similar story

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by thetransporter

nothing do with the other side

Internationals were bringing Aid.

Israel doesnt care, they even attacked a US congress woman in a similar story

Israel is FAR from being completely innocent in these and many other incidents, but I had to laugh at the "Aid" comment - makes it seem like the Israelis attacked a Red Cross ship or something.

This is aid in the form of food, guns, water, RPGs, etc.

Everyone raising questions and intelligent insight; please stop! Propaganda works best if you just roll with it.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by revelations

This is aid in the form of food, guns, water, RPGs, etc.
    It was? Source?

Ships were loaded and departed from Cypress. Full manifests available.

I have not seen reports of rpg's and guns?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast