Quantcast
The scuba diving thread - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21

Thread: The scuba diving thread

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Sorry I missed this somehow. Ended up going with Ed Robinson (great reviews and a lot cheaper than Lahaina Divers). Did the crater and another dive near the shore. The dive near the shore was far better than the crater. Pretty underwhelming after being to Cozumel, I don't think I would dive there again, especially for Maui prices. Could have just been a bad day but we hardly saw anything and it wasn't that interesting. Sounds like a Hammerhead dive or similar would have been better, but we were trying to keep costs down with the 1.45 exchange rate at the time, and I'm scared of sharks haha.
    Did you do the inside of the crater or the back wall? I agree that molokini is pretty mediocre on most days, only upside to the back wall as occasionally you get the big stuff coming in (Sharks, Whales, Dolphins, larger rays etc).

Lanai was much better overall diving.

Originally posted by austic

Did you do the inside of the crater or the back wall? I agree that molokini is pretty mediocre on most days, only upside to the back wall as occasionally you get the big stuff coming in (Sharks, Whales, Dolphins, larger rays etc).

Lanai was much better overall diving.
    We were inside the crater, facing the mainland if I recall correctly.

We did hear humpbacks under water though which was cool. Water was CRAZY choppy too, not a single snorkel boat was out there - might have just been bad luck but it was pretty dull and lifeless other than some schools of generic fish. Saw one small ray too, and a sleeping reef shark.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

We were inside the crater, facing the mainland if I recall correctly.

We did hear humpbacks under water though which was cool. Water was CRAZY choppy too, not a single snorkel boat was out there - might have just been bad luck but it was pretty dull and lifeless other than some schools of generic fish. Saw one small ray too, and a sleeping reef shark.
    I was just in Maui 2 weeks ago and did 2 Lanai dives. The humpbacks were super active. Saw them on the trip across to Lanai and could hear them throughout both dives. The cathedrals were amazing, although I got nervous when you go through one of the tunnels.

Lanai for me was far better than molokini. But Maui still doesn't compare to Koh Tao or Phi Phi in Thailand.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

If you enjoyed thailand next time try to get out to Komodo. Its a toss up between Fiji or Komodo for best diving for me.

Although Cocos Island and a live aboard through Galapagos are still on my diving bucket list.

My GF did it in here in October and she had to drive over an hour away to lake Minnewanka freezing her ass off in a dry-suit, it was snowing, and underwater visibility was zero haha. At the resorts you actually get enjoyable dives while you're being tested with plenty of sea life. They also don't force you to buy your own equipment at the time of the instruction which I understand some of the places here do (you will probably want some of it anyway though). I'm sure it's not as bad here in the summer months but it's hard to beat a tropical destination.
    I didn't even know you could do it all here! Diving locally would be somewhat cold even in the summer.

bumping old thread

where's the place to get certified these days? Doesn't seem like Aqua Sport is around anymore.

Was thinking of maybe doing the theory and 5 confined water dives here in Calgary and I'll be in Thailand to do my 4 open waters.

Thanks,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Mys73ri0 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    bumping old thread

where's the place to get certified these days? Doesn't seem like Aqua Sport is around anymore.

Was thinking of maybe doing the theory and 5 confined water dives here in Calgary and I'll be in Thailand to do my 4 open waters.

Thanks,
    Are you going anywhere tropical anytime soon? Do it there, it is so much more pleasant. Locally you can go to Adventures in Scuba or The Dive Shop.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

The Dive shop has a pretty good program and the program you want is the open water referral program.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I was originally certified through Aqua Sport in 2005, did my confined dives here, and then did my open water dives in Hawaii that same year. Worked out great, and got a few more dives in over the years. But had a bit of a break after the kids were born, and then we planned a trip to Maui this year so I needed to do a refresher course.

Did that one through Adventures in Scuba about a month ago. There's an online theory review portion and then I spent an afternoon in their dive tank. I'd have no problem recommending them to do your training, based on my experience, and I also agree that doing the open water on a resort somewhere is way better than doing it here!

On a side note, my refresher instructor was originally certified after me, in 2006, but has done about 460 dives since.
    Many of them locally.
    Damn, that's cold.
    Last edited by Doozer; 08-15-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Are you going anywhere tropical anytime soon? Do it there, it is so much more pleasant. Locally you can go to Adventures in Scuba or The Dive Shop.
    haha you need to read what i actually wrote

thanks for the info gonna head down to both and have a chat with them about it
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Mys73ri0 View Post
    haha you need to read what i actually wrote

thanks for the info gonna head down to both and have a chat with them about it
    I read it, but you didn't say when you were going to Thailand If you don't have any suitable trips in between, consider just doing it all in Thailand including the basic preliminary dives.

I did mine (including classroom instruction) at a Sandals resort in Grenada. A few early mornings and I was done, with most of the day still available to me. The material is so easy there is very little time needed for studying, just grab a drink and park yourself by a pool for a couple hours.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21