Quantcast
Renting Question - Move Out - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Renting Question - Move Out

My Ride
    Axis powers

Default Renting Question - Move Out

I know there's quite a few landlords and law people on here so here's my question. I just submitted my 30 day move out notice to the landlord company and they want to come in on June 3 to inspect everything to decide what we will get our damage deposit back for and what we won't. how does this work even though we still have the place until June 30???

I'm sure they will find a few things wrong but will be taken care of by the time of the move out (ie paint touch ups) i also have move in pictures that i took but i will be at work when they come on the 3rd and won't be able to justify some items (broken door, hole drilled in wall, stains in bathroom, all done by the previous tenant)

any feedback would be appreciated

thanks

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

The inspection is supposed to happen AFTER you move out. For obvious reasons.

My Ride
    G6

Unless explicitly stated in your contract, I'd tell them to shove it.

Maybe a typo, instead of typing 3-0 they missed the 0?

Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Axis powers

the notice also says they will be doing a 'move out' inspection on june 30 at 10am as well, so i don't know what the one on the 3rd is about?
    Sig nuked by mod.

^^ tell them to go away as the RTA gives you until the move out date to clean and make any needed minor repairs.

It's probably a good thing. They will point out what is deficient so you have an idea of the expectations are when the final inspection happens.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

They probably meant to say that they are coming to do a quick scan so that they can asess what needs fixing after you move out, I know when I moved from my last place my landlord came and did the same thing. Just precautionary on their part I guess, especially if they have to have new carpet put in and major things like that. Techinically I am 99.9 % sure they can't do the official move out inspection until your last day of tenancy.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Thanks guys
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by DayGlow
    It's probably a good thing. They will point out what is deficient so you have an idea of the expectations are when the final inspection happens.
    This.

And the 30 day notice also serves as buffer for them to line up the next tenant. They may start showing the place even before you leave, with 24hr notice to you of course.

My Ride
    89 Ram, 05 Pursuit, 05 Honda Civic SI, 98 Cavalier

Originally posted by gearz2spin
    They probably meant to say that they are coming to do a quick scan so that they can asess what needs fixing after you move out, I know when I moved from my last place my landlord came and did the same thing. Just precautionary on their part I guess, especially if they have to have new carpet put in and major things like that. Techinically I am 99.9 % sure they can't do the official move out inspection until your last day of tenancy.
    That sounds about right to me ... I've only ever had one landlord actually do move-in/out inspections
    The best rules to form a young man are: to talk little, to hear much, to reflect alone upon what has passed in company, to distrust one's own opinions, and value others that deserve it.
    Sir William Temple

My Ride
    Axis powers

they've already shown the place today, didn't give quite 24hours notice and they're showing it tomorrow too
    Sig nuked by mod.

Originally posted by DayGlow
    indeed, you should be happy that they will come and tell you in advance what they expect as far as repairs and cleaning for the move out day; rather than you finding out when its too late to do anything about it

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Your landlord can do the inspection any time between 30 days before move out and 30 days after move out.

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

The damage you say was caused by the last tenants, is that noted on the move IN inspection? If so, management should have taken care of those things already.
    If they are coming tomorrow for an inspection, make sure they don't say things like "how much money they're taking from your deposit" until the last day of your tenancy.

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

I just went through this, moved out of a Pointe apartment building may31st.

First of all, you should have done a walk through before you moved in with all previous damage recorded and you should have a copy of it. I retained my copy and l had it upon the move out inspection so they couldn't argue.

Second, they do a preliminary walk thourgh 14days before move out to check for holes in the walls, carpets stains etc so they know what they may have to do after you leave. They will go over it with you and point out things you should fix so it doesn't impact your DD.

Third, they will do a final walk out inspection on the last day of the month, usually you have to be out by noon of the last day, so after noon you'll do the inspection, provided you've fixed and cleaned everything that they mentioned (they'll give you a full list of items that need to be cleaned and sometimes ask for a receipt from the carpet cleaning company you hire for proof) that'll determine you're DD being returned.

This is what I did and it made my life hella easy. I moved out 5 days early. Then hired A Maid For A Day to come in and do a move out clean the next day. They were done in two hours, they followed the sheet management provided and everything. Cost me $184. Then I hired Kilroy Carpet and Upholstery for the day before end of month, they had to clean two medium sized bedrooms, long hallway, dining room, and large living room. Total cost $124 dollar.

Very smooth and easy, full DD returned.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Man, I totally wish I had known about that maid service and carpet cleaning company thing. I did all the cleaning myself, and it took far more time than it was worth.

I woulda paid in a heartbeat.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

Oh don't worry, it took me a couple moves to figure out that trick haha
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by codetrap
    Man, I totally wish I had known about that maid service and carpet cleaning company thing. I did all the cleaning myself, and it took far more time than it was worth.

I woulda paid in a heartbeat.
    I only did that on my LAST place. Good info to know now that I will never rent again

My Ride
    Axis powers

it turns out they never showed up for the inspection and they wouldn't give me a copy of the premove in inspection so i took pictures of everything instead and no they didn't come to fix anything after the move in...

now my next question since i can't seem to find the answer online, they keep giving me notices for suite viewing (fine) but they don't give specific times, the latest one they gave me this morning is for Sunday between 10:01am and 5pm, all of their notices are for at least 5 hours, this is pretty fucking intrusive when i'm at home and it's like a revolving door of people coming in and out is there some regulation about this or am i SOL?
    Sig nuked by mod.