Quantcast
Reliable mechanic in Calgary? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Reliable mechanic in Calgary?

Default Reliable mechanic in Calgary?

If anyone has noticed my first two posts, I have a few different problems with my 94 Ford Probe GT. A leaking water pump, a slipping transmission (automatic), and oil leaking from my spark plugs. Suprisingly enough I have had these problems for well over a year, and I am still driving it. Lucky me. I have been a full time student steady for the last two years and have not had money to fix it. (hence the still existing problems) I have a little money now but don't know where to start. Is my car worth fixing, it has 165,000 km's on it, or should I try to find a good mechanic and get fixing? I really appreciate any advice on these problems. This forum is awesome, people actually talk to you like you are an equal. (Not like some other forums!) Anyways, thanks for the help in the past. It's nice to get free advice for a change!!

you can pour in a tranny conditioner to fix the problem of slipping if its not too bad..the other way is a tranny overhaul but that means alot of $$$

My Ride
    Really FAST Ones

Originally posted by 89EF
    you can pour in a tranny conditioner to fix the problem of slipping if its not too bad..the other way is a tranny overhaul but that means alot of $$$
    DO NOT DO THIS. The conditioner works by softening up the seals in the trans but it continues to soften them until they swell up so baddly your transmission is pouring oil everywhere.
    Lookin Good is Goin FAST
    "HOME of the AWD DYNO"

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

Default Re: Reliable mechanic in Calgary?

Originally posted by Spruce View
    If anyone has noticed my first two posts, I have a few different problems with my 94 Ford Probe GT. A leaking water pump, a slipping transmission (automatic), and oil leaking from my spark plugs. Suprisingly enough I have had these problems for well over a year, and I am still driving it. Lucky me. I have been a full time student steady for the last two years and have not had money to fix it. (hence the still existing problems) I have a little money now but don't know where to start. Is my car worth fixing, it has 165,000 km's on it, or should I try to find a good mechanic and get fixing? I really appreciate any advice on these problems. This forum is awesome, people actually talk to you like you are an equal. (Not like some other forums!) Anyways, thanks for the help in the past. It's nice to get free advice for a change!!
    i would take it right to the dealer for the tranny... you will spend less time in there for them trying to fidn out whats wrong vs a all makes/models shop... might as well get them to do the pump at the same time... or, venture out and try the pump your self (although i would not suggest it on that car cuas there is f-all for room to work in with that 2.5 in the way) and talk to your service advisor and try and get him to lower the price down on parts and some labour... you can still bargin in this world

If you can why dont you go for a engine/tranny swap?

Go to speedtech.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by Dr. Lightspeed

DO NOT DO THIS. The conditioner works by softening up the seals in the trans but it continues to soften them until they swell up so baddly your transmission is pouring oil everywhere.
    your not supposed to use it for very long. Like a tank of gas or something, and then you change the tranny fluid.

My Ride
    2004 Toyota Echo

Spruce View, I deal with a really good mechanic named Klauss Boll. He is very fair and fixes your car right the first time. He does all my mechanical needs. Let me know if your interested and I can give you his phone number.
    2004 Toyota Echo