Quantcast
One dead, seven injured in Fort McMurray jobsite incident - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One dead, seven injured in Fort McMurray jobsite incident

Default One dead, seven injured in Fort McMurray jobsite incident

Happened today in Plant 7-3 at Syncrude. BP are getting bad headlines but we here in Alberta are no angels.

Last edited by kaput; 04-02-2019 at 07:34 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

wtf happened?

My Ride
    02' dc5

Good detail bro

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Great story! Would read again.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

FORT MCMURRAY- Five workers have been injured following a fire at the Syncrude plant near Fort McMurray on Thursday.

A company spokeswoman said the employees, four contractors and one Syncrude employee, are being treated at an undisclosed hospital.

The fire inside the plant broke out in a recovery unit at about 2 p.m. at the company's Mildred Lake facility.

The damage to the facility is "minor" but the conditions of the workers is unknown.

"I have no details on the severity of their injuries," said Cheryl Robb, of Syncrude.

Robb said the company's emergency personnel, including paramedics and firefighters, treated the patients onsite and also extinguished the fire.

"We have informed Alberta Environment, Workplace Health and Safety and the Energy Resources Conservation Board," said Robb. "And we are in the process of notifying family members."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Fi...#ixzz0qW0N5gFG

My Ride
    Grimace

Your casualty estimate was quite off.

No it wasn't. I work here so I know the real numbers. Later on today, when the worker passes away, this'll be all over the news. I saw WITH MY OWN EYES eight people being taken away in ambulances. One of them is almost certainly going to die from what I saw. Terrible.

Last edited by kaput; 04-02-2019 at 07:34 PM.

You're going to be a terrible police officer.

"yeah, that car accident is shitty. Don't call the ambulance, I just know he isn't going to make it"

My Ride
    89 Ram, 05 Pursuit, 05 Honda Civic SI, 98 Cavalier

Here's the artical as per MSN/CBC ... bit better detail than above

Syncrude fire injures 5

Five workers were injured Thursday afternoon in a fire at Syncrude's Mildred Lake facility in northern Alberta.

Three of the five were flown by air ambulance to an Edmonton hospital after the blaze broke out about 2 p.m., said Syncrude spokesperson Cheryl Robb, who had little other information.

"All I know is they were medevaced to Edmonton," she said six hours after the incident. "I don't know the extent of their injuries or any further details."

However, she said the other two workers who had been treated at a Fort McMurray hospital had been released by Thursday evening.

"Our priority right now is the injured workers and making sure their families are notified of the incident and then we will be investigating what caused the fire and what happened," Robb said.

"That takes some time, usually. There is an [Occupational Health and Safety] investigator on site now and we're working with them. We'll be conducting our own investigation also."

Robb said human resources personnel at Syncrude had been called in to help the families of the injured men.

"Just making sure they have what they need, because I think it's a difficult time for them," she said.

Robb confirmed that four of the men were contractors who worked for one company, but she would not say which one.

The fifth man was a Syncrude employee.

Robb said firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze and isolated the unit while paramedics were called to the site to treat the injured.

She said the extent of the damage to the plant was believed to be minor and production was not halted as a result of the fire.

Syncrude has informed Alberta Environment, Workplace Health and Safety and the Energy Resources Conservation Board.
    http://news.ca.msn.com/local/calgary...entid=24538656
    The best rules to form a young man are: to talk little, to hear much, to reflect alone upon what has passed in company, to distrust one's own opinions, and value others that deserve it.
    Sir William Temple

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-18-2019 at 03:49 PM.

My Ride
    4x4

Plant 7-3 is in the upgrader area - due north of the extraction plant, if I recall correctly.

One of those areas with volatile fumes and H2S 24/7 - use of brass tools is mandated. No cells, no sparks, nothing that isn't intrinsically safe. We used to go in to do our maintenance with the scott air packs worn, ready to don the mask - its just that kind of area...

Prayers to those involved, but pretty much - going to be a case of someone screwed up and created a spark...
    Last edited by AndyL; 06-11-2010 at 08:59 AM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by scat330

"yeah, that car accident is shitty. Don't call the ambulance, I just know he isn't going to make it"

My Ride
    Silverado

Default Re: One dead, seven injured in Fort McMurray jobsite incident

Originally posted by Jim Rome99
    Happened today in Plant 7-3 at Syncrude. BP are getting bad headlines but we here in Alberta are no angels.
    so how does what happened here even compare to what happened to bp?

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

Default Re: Re: One dead, seven injured in Fort McMurray jobsite incident

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

so how does what happened here even compare to what happened to bp?
    Agreed, this is a jobsite accident which can occur at plants of any kind. Just because it happened at a Syncrude site doesn't mean it's in anyway comparable to what is happening in the Gulf of Mexico right now.

No it wasn't. I work here so I know the real numbers. Later on today, when the worker passes away, this'll be all over the news.
    Wow... WHEN the guy dies?
    Nice. And you even put it in the subject. Some real numbers for sure.

So it's 5 injured, no dead, and 3 still in hospital.

Three workers remain in hospital after a fire at Syncrude's Mildred Lake plant in northern Alberta.

Syncrude spokeswoman Cheryl Robb says their conditions are serious, but the workers are stable.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...#ixzz0qaizE9U4

Originally posted by scat330

he is getting better, the new accounts helped him

Prayers to the families involved Which other company was it?
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    POS

The human body does miracles sometimes. If they are stable, I have faith all three will survive and will hopefully live normal lives besides the skin graphs they need to try to hide the scars.

From a by stander perspective it's hard to tell the amount of injuries sometimes. Back in the day at my old job some lady had a burner blow up on her and KO'd her. Some people that were right there when it happend said there was blood everywhere and her face looked like it got ripped apart. Some even thought she was dead. She came back like 2 weeks later with a few minor burns and scars to her face that wasn't nearly what everyone was expecting to see.
    Last edited by topmade; 06-11-2010 at 06:09 PM.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

No it wasn't. I work here so I know the real numbers. Later on today, when the worker passes away, this'll be all over the news. I saw WITH MY OWN EYES eight people being taken away in ambulances. One of them is almost certainly going to die from what I saw. Terrible.
    I've never met you, but every post of yours I have read on Beyond has me pretty certain you're a tard......
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast