Quantcast
Calgary Humane Society - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calgary Humane Society

My Ride
    fx50

Default Calgary Humane Society

has anyone here surrender your pet? what are the cost?
    Last edited by cloudy_sky; 06-11-2010 at 01:24 AM.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

There are no costs.

No costs, simply surrender the animal. Very solid adoption policy as well, so you know the pet will be looked after.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Anyone want to adopt a cat?

From June 9th to 30th, Calgary Humane Society is waiving any fee for getting yourself a cute little guy. (or girl!) They even give you $487-$662 worth of "extras" to care for it, at no charge. This is the time to save a little furry friend's life.

Do it.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Anyone want to adopt a cat?

From June 9th to 30th, Calgary Humane Society is waiving any fee for getting yourself a cute little guy. (or girl!) They even give you $487-$662 worth of "extras" to care for it, at no charge. This is the time to save a little furry friend's life.

Do it.

ALSO...

Pawsitive match (www.pawsitivematch.org) is having an adopt-a-thon this saturday June 12th at the St. Andrews Heights Community Hall - 2504-13Ave NW. Lots of awesome dogs to take home!

My Ride
    changes every year

i unfortunately had to surrender one of my cats a couple weeks ago. no cost but they ask for donation.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by HondaKid
    No costs, simply surrender the animal. Very solid adoption policy as well, so you know the pet will be looked after.
    No, you know that your animal likely has about a week to live. Our kill rate is one of the lowest in NA but it's still super high. So sad

Even kittens don't get picked up sometimes.

Originally posted by bspot

No, you know that your animal likely has about a week to live. Our kill rate is one of the lowest in NA but it's still super high. So sad

Even kittens don't get picked up sometimes.
    Where did you get those numbers from? Do they apply to the Calgary HS? I know someone who works there and she never mentioned such large numbers, I know for a fact there are certain cats that have been there for months. I have seen them in person.

If everyone adopted an animal, humans would be better people overall and this senseless killing would be a thing of the past. All assuming we have our animals fixed, no reason not too for 99% of all animal owners.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

^^^^ I agree with Bob Barker here...

Bump for a great cause. I would really like to adopt another dog but my parents would kill me! For the people who don't have pets, I highly recommend getting one. If you're allergic, just get a hypoallergenic pet. They are worth it times a billion and you'll never regret it.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by HondaKid

Where did you get those numbers from? Do they apply to the Calgary HS? I know someone who works there and she never mentioned such large numbers, I know for a fact there are certain cats that have been there for months. I have seen them in person.

If everyone adopted an animal, humans would be better people overall and this senseless killing would be a thing of the past. All assuming we have our animals fixed, no reason not too for 99% of all animal owners.
    The kill numbers for dogs are basically zero. Just very high risk cases. Like If I can't get into their kennel, their anxiety level is so high that they aren't really living much of a life anyways. Last year I was more familiar with the numbers but it was like 5 or 6 dogs for the whole year (they don't tell volunteers every time but we are usually informed so we aren't too shocked).

Cats are unfortunately a different story. There are some cases where a cat will last a few months, but the high number of cats turned in in addition to the high number of kittens makes for a bad situation. In a peak season like now they are over run with cats. They will start to put cats in the dog pods, but at some point they have to start thinning the numbers. It's very sad and the staff care a lot about them. Bab Barker or not, getting your cat fixed is the best thing anyone can do.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

When I picked up my cat (no I'm not gay, just fruity enough to be a dude with a cat I guess) it was because someone at work had found him as a beat up stray in the NE.

He was a little guy because he was starving and not quite fully grown. I didn't want a cat at the time, but my coworker was super busted up that they were going to put him down at the end of the day because there was no room.

I phoned at 11:30am to see if anyone had taken him, but no one had, and they told me he was actually already sedated and about to be put down.

I'd never even seen the little guy, but I told her I'd take him. She put down the phone and started screaming "We saved him! We saved him!". I got really lucky and he turned out to be an awesome cat, super easy going. I have dogs over all the time, no problem at all. He can hang with other cats too.

It must be tough working there though always getting attached to the good ones and having to watch them get put down

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

^^ Good on you dude. That is the type of karma that follows you forever. To be honest, I never spend any time in the cat area. I would have trouble with it as you described. Many, many good cats are put down all the time.

Big to you.

it drive me crazy that every vet know how important it is to get cats spayed or neutered. yet it is still very expensive. I think i payed almost 200$ for my little dude and i wished i had another. i know vets do a lot of school time but they cost to much to have 2 or 3 cars needing their care.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

When I picked up my cat (no I'm not gay, just fruity enough to be a dude with a cat I guess)
    Gay because you have a Cat? Okie dokie. I guess I'm hard gay since I have two.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Gay because you have a Cat? Okie dokie. I guess I'm hard gay since I have two.
    Maybe we can be hard gay together

Seriously, you've never had anyone rip on you for having a cat? Being a bachelor with a cat sometimes raises eyebrows in my experience, I don't care though he's fucking wicked.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Maybe we can be hard gay together

Seriously, you've never had anyone rip on you for having a cat? Being a bachelor with a cat sometimes raises eyebrows in my experience, I don't care though he's fucking wicked.
    Try owning a chihuahua...

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by syeve

Try owning a chihuahua...

I've got a Morkie (Part Maltese, Part Yorkie), I get looks all the time, but don't really care.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

^ That's a pretty cute dog.

Syeve, you've done it.

I'm going to get tacos now!

I'm thinking of going down to the Calgary Humane Society soon to get a black kitten, what I've always wanted.......I just don't know if I can stand having a cat again and dealing with shit like chewing through my wires! My old cat used to do that and it drove me nuts, that and them waking me up in the middle of night by running around and dropping stuff. Also having my place smell like cat piss and shit all the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast