Quantcast
MMR Shots in Infants - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MMR Shots in Infants

My Ride
    Axis powers

Default MMR Shots in Infants

So i wasn't sure where this topic should go so I guess here is where it will stay unless it gets moved.

Anyways for those that are parents on the board, when your child turned 1 did you get the MMR shot? I hear lots of contradicting evidence for and against it and read it even more, the gf doesn't know if we should vaccinate our daughter and I really don't know either.

Like everything there are pros and cons to this but i don't know which is worse, the chance of my daughter possibly contracting M/M/R by not getting vaccinated or developing autism due to the shot???!?!

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 10:20 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

We had a discussion here about it:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/252399/mm...rom-the-start/

My son was vaccinated for MMR according to the schedule. Definately doesn't have autism. He's had an obessesion with letters/numbers since about 16 months (actually knows the alphabet and the sound each letters make by 20-21 months)

The main "evidence" was a study that has since been discredited (along with it's authors) http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle5683671.ece

It wouldn't really matter except that the alarming rise in idiotic parents that are suckered in by a couple of charlatans is threatening to bring back diseases that were rendered obsolete by a simple solution.

e;f,b

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by hampstor
    We had a discussion here about it:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/252399/mm...rom-the-start/

My son was vaccinated for MMR according to the schedule. Definately doesn't have autism. He's had an obessesion with letters/numbers since about 16 months (actually knows the alphabet and the sound each letters make by 20-21 months)
    I shot my son up as well.

My son knows his A-Z and 1-20 and he is almost 20 months old. No correlation of course.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by G

I shot my son up as well.

My son knows his A-Z and 1-20 and he is almost 20 months old. No correlation of course.
    We should hire some guy to find a correlation.

My Ride
    01 Impreza 2.5RS and 05 LGT

I got it done for both of my kids. People who don't immunize are just fucking it up for the rest of civilization and prolonging the spread of diseases that would've otherwise been eradicated.

Get your kids immunized! People far more intelligent than you have been working on this far longer than you can imagine. They are right and information you got from the internetz/your crazy neighbour/random family member is wrong.

[SIZE=4.5]AWD BURNOUT![/size]

Shots f'cked up my son. He was counting in spanish.
    heloc that shit

Default Re: MMR Shots in Infants

Originally posted by adam c
    So i wasn't sure where this topic should go so I guess here is where it will stay unless it gets moved.

Anyways for those that are parents on the board, when your child turned 1 did you get the MMR shot? I hear lots of contradicting evidence for and against it and read it even more, the gf doesn't know if we should vaccinate our daughter and I really don't know either.

Like everything there are pros and cons to this but i don't know which is worse, the chance of my daughter possibly contracting M/M/R by not getting vaccinated or developing autism due to the shot???!?!
    Let's turn it around. Responsible risk analysis requires that you ask "why", not just "why not?".

Why do you want your child to have this shot?

What diseases is it protecting against?

How much do you know about the effects of these disease?

When? When does the child need to get this shot? Does it have to happen at age 1?

Who wants your child to get this shot, and what are their reasons for it?

You have to do a risk analysis of the disease versus the possible complications from the vaccine.

In regards to autism, that study has been disproved. However, with that said, even BEFORE the study there was parents saying that vaccines were the trigger, I'm sure their claims have some merit. But the US has a different schedule than Canada too, LOTS of vaccines really close together.

I personally don't think every kid is safe from a one size fits all vaccine schedule, but we chose to vaccinate our son for everything except chicken pox. If he catches it before school then we'll avoid the vaccine, if not we'll vaccinate him at that time. Major vaccine complications are rare and herd immunity DOES work.

There are also homeopathic options for disease prevention in children if you're really that anti-vaccine. But these should only be dispensed by a licensed naturopath/homeopath and with a complete family history taken and considered.

Hard choices are part of being a parent, best you can do is to arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible before deciding.
    Success is the ultimate revenge.

My Ride
    Axis powers

^^I'm not against vaccines but like you said it's hard not to take into consideration what other parents have gone through

despite what studies have been done to disprove it there's always that off chance that it could happen and i don't know if i would ever forgive myself if it happened. does the vaccine need to be given right at 1 year or can it be prolonged to a later date?
    Sig nuked by mod.

as far as I know you are MORE than welcome to do a delayed vaccination schedule. LOTS of parents do this and health care professionals MUCH prefer this option to no vaccines at all.

Some shots need to be given in the proper length of time succession to work most effectively (ie. Hepatitis) but it's worth talking to your doctor about!
    Success is the ultimate revenge.

My Ride
    Highlander

Delayed vaccinations are okay, if you're worried, talk to your doctor about it.

With that said, Lucas has had all of the vaccinations on schedule up to 18 months except for the chicken pox and he is definitely not autistic.

The autism study with the MMR vaccination has been proved inaccurate and a lot of professionals are now saying that the correlation now has to do with age, not the vaccine. The vaccines are given around the age that autism starts to surface in children, so it's easy to pin it on something like that.

As far as I know you can't be given autism. I think it's like bi-polar disorder, you're born with it in you, it just needs a trigger. Some parents believe the MMR vaccination is a trigger, but many do not. However if you go onto most autism websites they say that you should get your child vaccinated for MMR.

^^I'm not against vaccines but like you said it's hard not to take into consideration what other parents have gone through

She says "arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible", and you interpret that as guidance to focus on "What other parents have gone through".....?

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by LollerBrader

She says "arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible", and you interpret that as guidance to focus on "What other parents have gone through".....?
    I'm posting this thread to gain knowledge aren't i?

I'm posting this thread to gain knowledge aren't i?
    All you can get from this thread are opinions. Knowledge, you'll have to find on your own.

You probably have no clue what I'm talking about, and that's ok.

Originally posted by LollerBrader

All you can get from this thread are opinions. Knowledge, you'll have to find on your own.

You probably have no clue what I'm talking about, and that's ok.
    Knowledge doesn't just come from reading books and the internet, it also comes from other people and their experiences.

Stop being such a dickhead
    heloc that shit

Originally posted by lint

Knowledge doesn't just come from reading books and the internet, it also comes from other people and their experiences.
    While I won't devalidate the value of experiential or anecdotal knowledge, accounts of worst-case scenarios are of limited value when making medical decisions.

Clearly, however, the OP would rather weigh the experiences and opinions of others than going to the effort of educating himself - And that's ok.

I'm sure he's a good customer.

Originally posted by lint

Stop being such a dickhead
    You haven't had your shots yet, have you?

you must have been legless marine in a past life
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    a minivan, a maxima, and a KLR

This is a really touchy subject, Adam, and damn some people get worked up about it...especially those who are so pro-vaccine that they refuse to even consider questioning the effectiveness of vaccines. The anti-vaccers can be equally as militant and seemed to be armed with an arsenal of studies and analyses of childhood diseases which can be quite eye-opening. I've been in your shoes and struggled with this decision as well for my daughter.

My daughter's mom and I decided to forego vaccinations at first. Once I got custody, she was now 3 years old and I then decided to get her immunized. I suppose I succumbed to pressure from others and I'm still not certain that I made the right decision, but it's done and there were no side effects. I'm glad I waited until she was older.

Nobody can tell you what to do here, so do some research and make up your own mind. It's just really hard to find an unbiased, objective source on the web...it's usually one extreme or the other.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast