Quantcast
Cookware - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cookware

Default Cookware

I am looking at buying some new cookware in the next few weeks, or maybe sooner. I noticed Home Outfitter has the Jamie Oliver Professional series sets for $279 right now. Does anybody here own this set?
    I also saw in another thread that someone recommended against buying a set and instead putting the money toward a few pieces of really good cookware like All-Clad. I am far from being a professional chef, and im not sure if i really need expensive top of the line pots and pans. On the other hand im the type of person that likes to buy quality items that last a long time.
    I guess im just looking for some opinions on what you guys use. Is the Jamie Oliver set good enough for general use by a casual cook?

I have the Jamie Oliver set. It's great and at that price, it's a steal.

Heavy thickness stainless steel FTW.
    Last edited by BlackArcher101; 06-12-2010 at 02:20 PM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

They have nice sets at Costco, I think its a Lagostina brand. I've had them for 2 years now and they're going strong.

There was a test on some WTV show, Shopping bags or something, they did a review of pans, from Jamie Ollivers T-Fal to Gordon Ramsays stuff and etc. Both the Gordon And Jamie were at the bottom compared to 3 other name brands.

http://www.costco.ca/Common/Category...=en-CA&topnav=

Costco's pricing is competitive and their warranty is bar none
    Last edited by dj_rice; 06-12-2010 at 02:19 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Last edited by kaput; 04-02-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Originally posted by dj_rice
    They have nice sets at Costco, I think its a Lagostina brand. I've had them for 2 years now and they're going strong.

There was a test on some WTV show, Shopping bags or something, they did a review of pans, from Jamie Ollivers T-Fal to Gordon Ramsays stuff and etc. Both the Gordon And Jamie were at the bottom compared to 3 other name brands.

http://www.costco.ca/Common/Category...&eCat=BCCA|20442|267&N=4009609&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=208&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&topnav=

Costco's pricing is competitive and their warranty is bar none
    This is the review he's talking about: http://www.wnetwork.com/Shows/The-Sh...Pots-Pans.aspx

Look at the flyer and looking up the specs, it looks like it has an aluminum core to help conduct heat, which is good. I would recommend seeing if you can hold the pieces in person to make sure it's not too heavy or if it's cheap feeling to you.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I have read conflicting reviews on the JO Pro set. Some people have said that they are great quality and the best out of all the "tv chef" cookware, and others have said that they may warp and have hot spots, and the finish doesnt look good over time.

The Bay had some great prices (40-60% off) on all their cookware, all the major names are available. This was last week, so maybe call to confirm the sale is still on.

Originally posted by HondaKid
    The Bay had some great prices (40-60% off) on all their cookware, all the major names are available. This was last week, so maybe call to confirm the sale is still on.
    Nope that ended last Sunday. They had the same JO Pro 11 piece set for $399 which was half price. The Bay always has these types of sales on cookware, it would be foolish to pay full price on a set...

My Ride
    PL24T

The Kirkland brand sets are nice. Felt a little more solid than the similarly priced Lagostina set they had.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For what it's worth, you'll probably find that you use three or four pieces 95% of the time. Those guys suggesting you buy open stock are speaking from experience.
    I have an All-Clad 13' saute pan that I use non-stop, and it was about $150. That's a lot of money to spend on one pan, but it's usable as bake ware too, so it's sort of two pans in one.

Anyway, get fewer, better pieces and you'll be happier, plus you will have more room in your cupboards.
    I have two mediocre sets, and I avoid them as much as possible. Just not a joy to use like the All-Clad.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I ended up buying the set, for $279 I couldnt go wrong. So far I love it, its inspiring me to cook more often...

My Ride
    is probably sh*tier than urs

i found the CURTIS STONE was quite a bit nicer... 200 for the 8 piece set.. originally 650 or something.... =)

but either way both are nice

http://www.curtisstone.com/Kitchen-P...t-8-piece.aspx

inside is all measurement lines as well..nice chopping boards as well
    You can technically get a ticket for each window that's illegally tinted. So as above, if you're being an ass to the officer (or if he's just an ass to begin with), he can give you two. (or three tickets if you're dumb enough to tint the windshield of your BMW... but if you own a BMW you can't be stupid right?)
    Originally posted by RoseLover

Any penny you have to work hard to get, you will consider as "cheapness"...if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    For what it's worth, you'll probably find that you use three or four pieces 95% of the time. Those guys suggesting you buy open stock are speaking from experience.
    I have an All-Clad 13' saute pan that I use non-stop, and it was about $150. That's a lot of money to spend on one pan, but it's usable as bake ware too, so it's sort of two pans in one.

Anyway, get fewer, better pieces and you'll be happier, plus you will have more room in your cupboards.
    I have two mediocre sets, and I avoid them as much as possible. Just not a joy to use like the All-Clad.
    What do you notice that makes them 'better'? I'll be looking at getting pots/pans soon enough.
    Ultracrepidarian

From what I could tell, buying separately doesn't get you any significantly better product than just buying a big set and using a few pieces of it. It's way cheaper to buy the set rather than pots at $150/piece for even just 3.

Unless you are a professional chef I doubt you could ever tell the difference.

There is some significant differences between the Lagostina sets and similar stuff that you see at Canadian Tire, Bay, Sears, etc. for 70% off. Even though they are the same price, some are twice as heavy, have nice thick bottoms, ergonomic handles, etc. You just need to look around a bit. After you find one you like, just buy one of the big sets for $200 or whatever and be done with it. You will also find the sets are structured differently, some have frying pans, some don't, some have steamers, some don't, so you can tailor it to what you will use most.

If you want to spend a lot of money on cooking supplies, you will probably appreciate a nice knife a lot more than a $200 pot IMO. Best thing I ever did for my cooking was buy an awesome knife because I want to use it all the time haha.

Also, the frying pans that come with the sets are crap anyways because they are stainless steel and everything sticks to them. You're better off just getting a good non-stick pan when they go on sale from $100 down to like $20 at Canadian Tire or similar.

I remember my parents had 5 or 6 sets at their house when they were buying pots, ranging from $150-$1000. The best set, by far, was a $250 Lagostina set from The Bay. Much sturdier than the rest, better handles, thick, flat bottoms, very even cooking, worked with induction, etc. The Jamie Oliver set is good too but you're paying for the name.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-15-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    From what I could tell, buying separately doesn't get you any significantly better product than just buying a big set and using a few pieces of it. It's way cheaper to buy the set rather than pots at $150/piece for even just 3.

Unless you are a professional chef I doubt you could ever tell the difference.

There is some significant differences between the Lagostina sets and similar stuff that you see at Canadian Tire, Bay, Sears, etc. for 70% off. Even though they are the same price, some are twice as heavy, have nice thick bottoms, ergonomic handles, etc. You just need to look around a bit. After you find one you like, just buy one of the big sets for $200 or whatever and be done with it. You will also find the sets are structured differently, some have frying pans, some don't, some have steamers, some don't, so you can tailor it to what you will use most.

If you want to spend a lot of money on cooking supplies, you will probably appreciate a nice knife a lot more than a $200 pot IMO. Best thing I ever did for my cooking was buy an awesome knife because I want to use it all the time haha.

Also, the frying pans that come with the sets are crap anyways because they are stainless steel and everything sticks to them. You're better off just getting a good non-stick pan when they go on sale from $100 down to like $20 at Canadian Tire or similar.

I remember my parents had 5 or 6 sets at their house when they were buying pots, ranging from $150-$1000. The best set, by far, was a $250 Lagostina set from The Bay. Much sturdier than the rest, better handles, thick, flat bottoms, very even cooking, worked with induction, etc. The Jamie Oliver set is good too but you're paying for the name.
    You should really have spent as much time researching cookware as you did knives.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

If you are ever in the US, you can check the outlet stores.

I bought 3 Calphalon infused anodized pieces (2 pots and 1 pan) for $20 each (each had an MSRP of close to $200). They were a little scratched on the handles and had some minor scratches on the sides...but nothing major.