Quantcast
Bike “explodes” After Collision Near Millarville, Rider Burned And In Critical Condit - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bike “explodes” After Collision Near Millarville, Rider Burned And In Critical Condit

My Ride
    Turbo charged 1977 Datsun 280Z

Default Bike “explodes” After Collision Near Millarville, Rider Burned And In Critical Condit

Very tragic. RCMP aren't confirming anything yet, but it looks like the truck was pulling out from 192 Street (the entrance to the Millarville Farmer's Market) and didn't see the motorcycle. But that's speculation on my part until the police finish their scene analysis.

Poor guy. Sounds like he is in very rough shape.

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2010/06...cal-condition/

Markham

My Ride
    CBR 929

I think nearly the number one cause of motorcycle fatalities (or very high up there) is cars turning infront of on-coming motorcycles... when the bike has the right of way.

[url]

My Ride
    E.L

^ werd, usually left turns. Its sad hearing about this kinda stuff. I remember years ago a rider got rear ended in calgary and had caught on fire too, his helment ended up melting on his face. Fella ended up with some serious injuries too.

My Ride
    Ferrari

Werd, happend to me, only it was the riders fault (crossed the center line) when he t-boned my tractor trailer. Everyone was okay though. But the bike was completely totalled.
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

Originally posted by bignerd
    I think nearly the number one cause of motorcycle fatalities (or very high up there) is cars turning infront of on-coming motorcycles... when the bike has the right of way.
    +1

My biggest fear, I dont trust cagers when they want to turn.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Has AWD

this is why i refuse to buy a bike, it looks like so much fun but if you crash because one of the 1000's of morons on the road cuts u off.............it's just not worth it, if u were riding on a track racing then that's different cause hell you've probably got a better chance of surviving a crash on a track than on the street.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Originally posted by Cos

+1

I don't even trust other bikers when I ride. Keep your eyes wide open and expect it to happen at all times.

One wonders if the flashing front headlight system would have avoided this accident. If you are riding a motorcycle one cannot be too obvious on the road, you gotta be seen and some proof being heard (loud pipes) is good as well. My parents were right, no motorcycle in their home and by time I went off to university I was over the idea of buying one. I think a dirt bike would be better for me, someday.

Hope all get through this as best they can, rough on all.

Last edited by HondaKid; 06-13-2010 at 04:11 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

My parents were in the emergency room when this guy came in, my mom said he was super super messed up. Really unfortunate.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

yea i hurt my back moving a downed bike in the middle of the road on thursday, some dude in a truck talking on his cell phone pulled right out in front of a guy on his bike.

buddy braked/highsided and crashed hard.

lift with the legs!! lol
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Cos

+1

It's happened to me twice while driving a fucking car. I imagine if I rode more I'd be dead by one of these people.

My Ride
    CBR 929

I know some people who ride with their brights on during the day to help increase their visibility to others, however you cannot do this at night....

[url]

Originally posted by MGCM
    this is why i refuse to buy a bike, it looks like so much fun but if you crash because one of the 1000's of morons on the road cuts u off.............it's just not worth it, if u were riding on a track racing then that's different cause hell you've probably got a better chance of surviving a crash on a track than on the street.
    true there are 1000s of others out there who will cut a bike off , but there are alot of morons out there on biked as well , just the other day i was parked on the side of the road and was going to pull out , i seen a van and a bike behind him heading towards me so i start to pull out, i get half way out and the bike decides to pass the van on a residential street where there is no passing , lucky i seen him or else it could have been bad

Poor biker.

However, a lot of them ask for it.

I was driving on crowchild, about midnight - and all of a sudden - ZOOOM.

Bike with no lights zooms by me. What if I changed lanes? Couldn't even see him. No DRL either. No way he could change as quick as me at that speed.

Originally posted by MGCM
    This isn't just about the morons - regular people also cut off motorcycle riders without even knowing it. I owned and rode motorbikes for many years, don't have one now but I am well aware to look for motorcyclists as I was one. Problem is that people just don't see them and I have been guilty of this myself and I do look for them - fact of the matter is motorcyclists are often hard to see sometimes even in ideal conditions. Thus as a motorcyclist, you have to be doubly aware if not more of what's going on around you and always be ready to react - just a fact of life for motorcyclists. This situation - probably another case of someone not seeing the motorcyclist or misjudging the motorcyclist's speed. This does not, however, make the truck driver or 1000's out there like him a moron.

At the same time, I also have to concur with scat330 and 97luder in that there are many irresponsible motorcyclists out there as well, riding too fast in traffic, riding in a t-shirt and shorts (sometime sandals), placing themselves in unsafe positions without even realizing it - every motorcyclist needs to learn the limits of how fast their machine can stop, when to use the front brakes or back brakes or both, the limits of what their counter-steering can do for them and most important, maintaining that safezone/box around their motorcycle.

Morons are out there regardless of how many wheels they have under them, but it is wrong to call out everyone who cuts off a motorcycle as a moron and to MGCM, you are truly missing out on a enjoyable experience if you are going to let all of these supposed 1000's of morons stop you from riding a motorcycle on our public roads and streets. Your loss I guess.
    Will fuck off, again.

I wonder how fast the bike was going.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by speedog
    This isn't just about the morons - regular people also cut off motorcycle riders without even knowing it. I owned and rode motorbikes for many years, don't have one now but I am well aware to look for motorcyclists as I was one. Problem is that people just don't see them and I have been guilty of this myself and I do look for them - fact of the matter is motorcyclists are often hard to see sometimes even in ideal conditions. Thus as a motorcyclist, you have to be doubly aware if not more of what's going on around you and always be ready to react - just a fact of life for motorcyclists. This situation - probably another case of someone not seeing the motorcyclist or misjudging the motorcyclist's speed. This does not, however, make the truck driver or 1000's out there like him a moron.

At the same time, I also have to concur with scat330 and 97luder in that there are many irresponsible motorcyclists out there as well, riding too fast in traffic, riding in a t-shirt and shorts (sometime sandals), placing themselves in unsafe positions without even realizing it - every motorcyclist needs to learn the limits of how fast their machine can stop, when to use the front brakes or back brakes or both, the limits of what their counter-steering can do for them and most important, maintaining that safezone/box around their motorcycle.

Morons are out there regardless of how many wheels they have under them, but it is wrong to call out everyone who cuts off a motorcycle as a moron and to MGCM, you are truly missing out on a enjoyable experience if you are going to let all of these supposed 1000's of morons stop you from riding a motorcycle on our public roads and streets. Your loss I guess.
    Well said.

Also, +10 for the idiots that ride without gear. It really scares me seeing this because I know how painful road rash can be... there are others out there who obviously don't. I have my jacket, boots and pants on even when its +30. I'd rather be sweaty than bloody (and going into shock) when I go down.

My Ride
    2006 Cadillac CTS-V, 97 328IS, 97 M3 2010 135i,

Many years ago, a friend bought a used bike. He couldn't get it going so I pulled it with my car. We got it going. That was a Wednesday afternoon. Friday night he had a fatal accident when a car went through a stop sign. He was 19.

my dad's best friend from childhood to early 20s was decapitated by a mailbox while riding.

my uncle and brother have also both went down on bikes. both of them are still riding though.

i still want a bike, though.

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by speedog

Very well said. No doubt it's dangerous and you have to be very careful. My parents were totally against the idea, but didn't stop me though. I for one can't live my life being all scared and would never let such fear stop me from doing what I really want to do.

My Ducati got totalled because the stupid woman (not that it matters) driver in front of me decided to suddenly brake to a complete stop from going 80+ to change lanes on McKnight. Hit the back, flew over the car, scraped on the road for a bit, until rolled myself over to the side of the road as quickly as I realized what happened. Thank God for full gear and everything, walked away without any major injuries. The stupid woman got a careless driving ticket and all but was so sad to see the bike totalled. Still miss it SO much. The handlebar snapped and apparently they don't let you get it fixed...

Either way I can't wait till I get another bike, hopefully next year.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 06-14-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast