Quantcast
2002 C230 CD Changer???? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 2002 C230 CD Changer????

My Ride
    ZX3, ZX8, C230 Kompressor, Dinan 328

Default 2002 C230 CD Changer????

Anyone know if there is an aftermarket option for adding a CD changer to a 2002 Mercedes C230 Coupe?? I have the factory Bose system with changer controls but no changer. I want to avoid FM modulation and dont want to spend $800+ on a factory changer.

Please offer your advice

Thanx.
    Brandon
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

My Ride
    335i

Any particular reason for not wanting an FM-modulator?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Cause FM Mod reception quality is horrible, especially with MB stock head units...

Find out who makes the changer that accompanies your Bose system ie. alpine sony etc by asking the dealer perhaps, as MB does not make stereo equip, then maybe you can contact the brand and see if there is another model that will work with your head unit...

My Ride
    NC1

Does MB use the traditional CD changer in trunk or in dash?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2Look slk

Mercedes uses Bose CD Changers. In-dash or in-trunk depends on the car. Generally CD changers are in-dash on C-coupes and in-trunk on SLK's.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

From the Options list, the CD changer offer from M-B is only $900, that is not a bad price for a factory CD changer..... and with 4 yr warranty on it .. so .. why not ?
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride

Originally posted by girlRACER
    Mercedes uses Bose CD Changers. In-dash or in-trunk depends on the car. Generally CD changers are in-dash on C-coupes and in-trunk on SLK's.
    Mercedes uses changers made by Becker, not Bose. Bose is an audio equipment maker and they dont make any mobile electronic units. They only make amps and speakers for the cars.

The changer can be either in dash or in the back depending on the year of the car. The C-coupe that I bought has the DIN/Fiber optic cord run to the back side panel by the factory sub. They dont offer an in dash changer unless you have the NAV system.

After 10 years in the car audio industry, I personally think that $900 for any changer is outrageous. Its all the same components as aftermarket changers (Alpine, Eclipse, Kenwood)

I have never come across a car that has a proprietary changer before. I am now learning that a few of the German car makers are doing things this way to try and prevent any possible add-ons in the aftermarket world. Give it time, someone will develop an adaptor or Becker will market their equipment. Unless they have a non-compete agreement with Mercedes.

Thanks for all the advice guys, and gal. I managed to at least get model #'s and maker of the equipment. Now I just have to find one at a reasonable price. If I have to buy it new I will yank it all out and go totally aftermarket.

I do have one question though. Does anyone have access to the wiring diagrams for the 2002 C230 Coupe or know where I might find one? The software my dealers provided for me doesnt have Mercedes for some reason.

Brandon
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

My Ride
    2Look slk

Originally posted by Oompa

Mercedes uses changers made by Becker, not Bose. Bose is an audio equipment maker and they dont make any mobile electronic units. They only make amps and speakers for the cars.

The changer can be either in dash or in the back depending on the year of the car. The C-coupe that I bought has the DIN/Fiber optic cord run to the back side panel by the factory sub. They dont offer an in dash changer unless you have the NAV system.

After 10 years in the car audio industry, I personally think that $900 for any changer is outrageous. Its all the same components as aftermarket changers (Alpine, Eclipse, Kenwood)
    I'm no expert in electronics but all I know is that I did pay the outrageous $900 for the changer and it IS in the back and it DOES say BOSE. And all the CD changers at the Calgary Mercedes dealership do install them inside the glove compartment on all C-Coupes.

Perhaps things are different in the US from Canada.
    Last edited by girlRACER; 12-16-2003 at 01:54 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm no expert in electronics but all I know is that I did pay the outrageous $900 for the changer and it IS in the back and it DOES say BOSE. And all the CD changers at the Calgary Mercedes dealership do install them inside the glove compartment on all C-Coupes.
    Actually, they say Mercedes-Benz on them, and they're Becker. Bose is just the speaker system our SLK's got .

I was suckered into buying the CD-Changer on my first 2 SLK's. By the 3rd one, I bought an aftermarket head unit and got way more functionality for way less money. The C Classes might be harder to swap head units though, I don't think the factory deck is a standard DIN sized unit.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

BTW - If you want a cheaper factory changer, you can go here :

https://www.autoclass.net/products.a...catname2=AUDIO

Hope the link works... $399usd, about $600 for the changer and install kit.

Installation into SLK :

http://www.slk32.com/pages/cdinstall/cdinstall.html

Should be about the same installing it into the C Coupe, other than location.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2Look slk

Originally posted by rage2

Actually, they say Mercedes-Benz on them, and they're Becker. Bose is just the speaker system our SLK's got .

My mistake then. The people at the dealership are bloody useless for telling me its Bose Oh well...Bose or not...I really hate my factory system. It's so crappy
    Last edited by girlRACER; 12-16-2003 at 01:55 PM.

My Ride

Ya, dealerships are good at being useless when it comes to factory systems. I just spoke with the people from Bose and Becker today to get more info. I have managed to locate a changer on ebay Germany. Its partially defunkt but Becker said they can refurbish it for $100 US. I will have less than $200 into the changer and it will have a 90 day warranty on it. I cant complain too much about that. If it goes bad by then, I will have my aftermarket system ready to install.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Oh well...Bose or not...I really hate my factory system. It's so crappy
    But the SLR uses the exact same deck!!!