Quantcast
Go vegetarian to save the world: UN - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Go vegetarian to save the world: UN

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-18-2019 at 03:46 PM.

never heard of this un thing but i aint givin up my meat for noone.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by revelations

B12 does not come from meat alone.

B12 is also added to cereals.
    I include fish as meat.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by bspot

Do you realize that a very large portion of your food comes from developing countries with these destructive agriculture practices?
    You do realize that you're completely talking out of your ass when you say stuff like this, because you have absolutely no idea where I buy my food, or what I personally eat?

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Just another useless recommendation... I won't be giving up meat anytime soon and most certainly, some "save the dolphins" hippy UN agency isn't going to make me.

Originally posted by f150jacked
    never heard of this un thing but i aint givin up my meat for noone.
    I don't think the entire population suddenly going vegan is realistic. The only thing I do is ensure that ALL the meat I eat (chicken/beef/bison) is local. It's easy to do and tastes the best. The chicken was the biggest suprise; I had been eating grocery store chicken for so long that I forgot how good a basicaly wild chicken tasted. I had it once and was sold.

http://www.calgaryfarmersmarket.ca/i...0the%20Vendors

Meat guys at the calgary farmers market -

Fredrico's Italian Market & Deli - delicious paninis and pizza for eat in and take out
    Grazin Acres - Eggs, poultry & grass fed beef
    Hoven Farms Organic Foods - Organic meat - www.hovenfarms.com
    Jackson's Deli - fresh gourmet quality deli meats
    Missing Link Extraordinary Sausage - Chicken sausage and lamb sausage - www.missinglinksausage.com
    North Sea Fish Market - Fresh fish
    Old Country Sausage Shop - Sausage www.oldcountrysausageshop.com
    Patsy Clark Farms / Essence of the Nile - Ostrich meat & products www.patsyclarkfarms.ca
    Spragg's Meat Shop - Free range pork www.spraggsmeatshop.com
    Sunworks Farm - Organic meat www.sunworksfarm.com
    Sylvan Star Cheese - Cheese, butter, yogurt www.sylvanstarcheesefarm.ca
    Valta Bison Farms – Bison meats, sausages, jerky and deli products www.valtabison.com
    Wapiti Ways - Elk www.wapitiways.com

ya but that farmers market is expensive yeah? i cant afford the 50 chickens n shit yeah.

My Ride

ya but that farmers market is expensive yeah? i cant afford the 50 chickens n shit yeah.
    Not all of it is expensive. There are a lot of good deals to be had. However, there is a bit of hypocrisy going on there too, since they're selling a lot of the same out of season veggies as Safeway and Superstore, just at inflated rates. Same stickers on the banana's in January, same grapes etc.

Unfortunately, the calgary farmers market is more about being eco-trendy than actual substance. If you want a more realistic experience, maybe some of the smaller rural farmers markets might be the way to go.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

only a small proportion of an animal's energy intake goes into biomass. most of the energy is lost as heat due to metabolism, foraging, mating, blah blah blah. hence, a very large amount of energy is lost between trophic levels (i.e., when an animal eats something).

the implications for humans are simple: far higher population densities can be supported on grains than on animals that eat grains.

regardless of one's political views, AND ignoring all of the other factors that make vegetarianism more sustainable (e.g. amount of water required to process meat, disease spread, feed lot pollution, etc. etc. etc.), it's impossible to deny the fact that more humans can live off of grain than off of grain-fed animals.

that said, i love meat, and will never stop eating it.

This actually speaks to the larger problem - food in Canada, and especially in the US is too fucking cheap. The only way to keep $0.39 hamburgers, $0.25 wings and all-you-can-eat fries is to grow it as quick as possible, feed it cheaply and have immigrants cultivate it for nothing. That means cheap feed, heavily fertililer and pesticide use and slave labour.

I'm not saying I have the answers, or that I'm any better (though I don't eat red meat and try to stick with organic chicken), but we collectively need to look at our dinner plates and think if there is a cost greater than the dollars and cents at play.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Humans can't survive without B12. You can't get B12 from any vegetable or grain.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by codetrap

Not all of it is expensive. There are a lot of good deals to be had. However, there is a bit of hypocrisy going on there too, since they're selling a lot of the same out of season veggies as Safeway and Superstore, just at inflated rates. Same stickers on the banana's in January, same grapes etc.

Unfortunately, the calgary farmers market is more about being eco-trendy than actual substance. If you want a more realistic experience, maybe some of the smaller rural farmers markets might be the way to go.
    I was refering to the meat there. The vast majority of vegtables we eat can't be gorwn here or have a very short growing season.

I don't agree at all that the market is eco-trendy. Just because rich douche bags swarm the place to make themselves feel better, doesn't equate eco-trendy. These are all relatively small farms, a lot are omish. I have been to Edgar farm and they are tiny, really tiny. I buy all my beef from them directly now. A ton of vegtables and unreal beef jerkey. http://www.edgarfarms.com/ Go visit their farm, they litteraly treat their animals like pets.

Originally posted by 89coupe
    Humans can't survive without B12. You can't get B12 from any vegetable or grain.
    you can get it from dairy products, supplements, or fortified foods.

My Ride
    BMW E70

Originally posted by 89coupe
    Its recommended that vegans take a B12 supplement because of this. But, for someone who is an lacto-ovo vegetarian (they consume dairy), they can get enough B12 in their diet that they won't need supplements.

I stopped eating meat a few weeks ago and went to a vegetarian diet. I researched the vitamins that I'd be losing out on without meat. So, I take B12 and Omega3 supplements. I get enough iron, etc from a well balanced diet. I didn't change to save the world. I do honestly feel a lot better. I sleep better and have more energy.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I agree but I love meat so people could eat less meat.

My Ride

syeve,

I think I will. Sounds like it would be a good day trip to take my daughter on. And I was looking at purchasing another quarter cow since we're out of meat now. I'd like to get fully organic this time too.

My Ride
    //M

Originally posted by HRD2PLZ

I do honestly feel a lot better. I sleep better and have more energy.
    That's absolutely in your head.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by codetrap
    syeve,

I think I will. Sounds like it would be a good day trip to take my daughter on. And I was looking at purchasing another quarter cow since we're out of meat now. I'd like to get fully organic this time too.
    It's too bad you missed the asparagus festival! It's hilarious, you can get a tour of the asparagus field on their tractor. I brought my neices there last year, I bought like 3 pounds of beef jerky and an apple pie that I still dream about. They are open all summer for tours.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by 911fever

That's absolutely in your head.
    I cross country mountain bike quite a bit, 3-4 time a week and ride with some of the fastest riders in Alberta. The fastest rider I know is a vegitarian. He use to smash meat daily, says he will never eat meat again after switching.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Humans have incisors & canines for a reason, and its not to chew on grains.

Meat tastes good for a reason.

Fish tastes good for a reason.

Poultry tastes good for a reason.

Stupid vegans

Whats more funny is the stupid vegans who try and replicate the taste of meat in their veg dishes...LOL...what the fuck is the point?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by syeve

I cross country mountain bike quite a bit, 3-4 time a week and ride with some of the fastest riders in Alberta. The fastest rider I know is a vegitarian. He use to smash meat daily, says he will never eat meat again after switching.

LOL, all that means is everyone else isn't that fast...LOL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast