Go vegetarian to save the world: UN - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Go vegetarian to save the world: UN

My Ride
    //M

Default Go vegetarian to save the world: UN

http://sl.farmonline.com.au/news/nat...n/1856903.aspx

what a bunch of loons! wowww retarded.

ANOTHER UN agency has again reached the conclusion that the world should move away from dairy and meat consumption and toward a more grain- and vegetarian-based diet to save the environment. The UN Environmental Program (UNEP), through its International Panel for Sustainable Resource Management, released a report June 2 calling for such a shift "to dramatically reduce pressure on the environment," according to UNEP's news release announcing the report. The report - "Environmental Impacts of Consumption & Production: Priority Products & Materials" - argues that current trends in the production and use of energy and food "are draining freshwater supplies, triggering losses of economically important ecosystems such as forests, intensifying disease and death rates and raising pollution to unsustainable levels." Fixing this, according to the report, can start with changes in energy use and food consumption "at the household," where the report calls for individuals to change how they cool and heat their homes, their use of appliances and gadgets and the way they travel. This is the point at which the report calls for people to make dietary shifts to vegetarianism. Achim Steiner, UN undersecretary general and UNEP director, in the news release, said "decoupling growth from environmental degradation is the number-one challenge facing governments," and setting priorities to achieve this "would seem prudent and sensible to fast track a low-carbon, resource-efficient 'green economy'". The panel reviewed "all available science," Steiner said, and concluded that two broad areas of production and use are having "a disproportionately high impact on people and the planet's life support system": (1) energy and (2) agriculture, "especially raising livestock for dairy and meat products". The panel set three areas for transformational change, including agriculture, "particularly products derived from animals," which the report says "are fed more than half of the world's crops." It added that, worldwide, agricultural production accounts for 70% of freshwater consumption and 38% of land use and that food production accounts for 19% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

what's retarded about it?

Originally posted by nonlinear
    what's retarded about it?

My Ride
    CRF 250L

x3

Try the course:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisMartensondotcom

My feeling is we're close to the limit of the function.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

You can grow cows in places that you can't grow grain, and you can grow grain to feed the cows in places that you can't grow vegetables.

Removing cows from the equation doesn't magically free up resources for plants, so it doesn't address the problem. Sure, you can learn how to grow more vegetables, but you can learn how to grow more cows too.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by SKR
    You can grow cows in places that you can't grow grain, and you can grow grain to feed the cows in places that you can't grow vegetables.

Removing cows from the equation doesn't magically free up resources for plants, so it doesn't address the problem. Sure, you can learn how to grow more vegetables, but you can learn how to grow more cows too.
    Location doesn't matter. Food are shipped to cow lots now.

The bottom-line is, ship more food to human instead of feeding cows which is then feed to humans that can afford the expensive process.

I can see where UN is comig from but I'm not giving up meat any time soon.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-15-2010 at 10:13 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I dont think we need to "give up" meat all together, but rather we should make it less of a staple food than it is in North America.

Eg. buying ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef.
    Nothing drastic (ie vegetarianism)

Wait what?? Good luck removing a solid steak from my dinner table.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Asians eat wayyyyyyy less meat than North Americans, and consequently are healthier (when accounting for equal medical care).

We don't need to eat as much of it as we do. If you up the chicken content and save the steaks/burgers for a treat, you actually make a significant difference.

I've done it, but mostly so I don't get fat and to save some cash on the grocery bill. All the hippy stuff is a nice side effect.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

I wish I never opened that first bag of potato chips.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    4x4

Sorry I'm a meatatarian...

Mmmm baconator...

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I love your selective copy and paste.

However, the report did not recognize the difference between modern agriculture as practiced in North America and agriculture as practiced in developing parts of the world, where forests are being destroyed to plant crops and raise livestock and where inefficiencies and a lack of skills and technologies are destructive.

In the US, modern agriculture employs the science and technology to grow more crops and produce more livestock and dairy, meat and poultry products for human consumption from fewer resources seemingly every year, and it does so in a manner that becomes "greener" every year.
    This is just more eco-garbage. Like the 100Mile diet and crap like that. Shortsighted and useless.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by Xtrema

I can see where UN is comig from but I'm not giving up meat any time soon.
    +1
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    G6

Humans didn't become intelligent till they started eating meat. Not interested.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Our parents are known as the generation of ignorance. We will be known as the generation that knew what we were doing and continued down the path of self destruction.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Humans need B12, B12 comes from meat. Without B12 we would all slowly become crazy!

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by codetrap
    I love your selective copy and paste.

This is just more eco-garbage. Like the 100Mile diet and crap like that. Shortsighted and useless.
    Do you realize that a very large portion of your food comes from developing countries with these destructive agriculture practices?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by 89coupe
    Humans need B12, B12 comes from meat. Without B12 we would all slowly become crazy!
    B12 does not come from meat alone.

Vitamin B12 is found in foods that come from animals, including fish and shellfish, meat (especially liver), poultry, eggs, milk, and milk products.

One half chicken breast provides some 0.3 µg (micrograms) per serving or 6.0% of one's daily value (DV); 3 ounces of beef, 2.4 µg, or 40% of one's DV; one slice of liver 47.9 µg or 780% of DV; and 3 ounces of molluscs 84.1 µg, or 1,400% of DV.
    B12 is also added to cereals.

Canada shouldn't be pointing fingers at anyone.

We export a ridiculous amount of fertilizer (potash, sulfur, nitrogen) So that we don't have to grow things here...

OT: Saskatchewan wheat farmers are unable to plant their crops this year. It will be the worst year in over 40 years for wheat (the only crop we grow in suffient quantity) Expect bread prices to double.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Canada shouldn't be pointing fingers at anyone.

We export a ridiculous amount of fertilizer (potash, sulfur, nitrogen) So that we don't have to grow things here...

OT: Saskatchewan wheat farmers are unable to plant their crops this year. It will be the worst year in over 40 years for wheat (the only crop we grow in suffient quantity) Expect bread prices to double.
    Yeah out boss was just telling us about that. Said it is too wet to plant. Almost 160,000 acres have been lost so far or something.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast