Quantcast
To 3M or Not 3M a White Car - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To 3M or Not 3M a White Car

My Ride
    Skateboard

Default To 3M or Not 3M a White Car

I've been looking at a lot of cars lately, specifically white, with 3M or equivalent products applied. They all look discolored to some degree. Some of the cheaper non 3M stuff actually looks rusted after a few years.

Installers claim that 3M does not discolor as bad and is warrantied for 7 years.

My White MDX came with factory piece behind the rear doors and it looks yellowish already after 2 years.

Anyone 3M a white car and not have it discolor?

Covering the entire car seems a bit excessive for about $4000. I can repaint the hood many times for that price.

Initially I wanted to cover the entire bumper, hood and fenders but I am worried that color difference between the hood, a-pillars, fenders and doors would piss me off over time.

Max_Boost did you put this stuff on your white SLK? How did it hold up?

I have 3M on my prelude and there is 1 or two spots that have noticeably discoloured... the rest looks great. Its been on for a year, and ever since iv got it i kept a good coat of wax on it to protect it...

to be honest, the 3M on the Carbon is the most noticeable because the carbon that isnt protected is starting to discolour haha... i really need to get out there and polish it.

The 3M will discolor if you don't take care of it by washing it when it gets really dirty. Most common causes are bug splatters that stain it.

On the wife's white GTI, the 3m is yellowish along the front because she hardly ever washes it.

On the SLK, it never discolored because the car was rinsed off every couple days
    ---

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Waxing also helps prevent the yellow fever.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Skateboard

From what I've seen on Beyond about your thing for Asian girls I take it you don't wax.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Waxing also helps prevent the yellow fever.

yellow fever is rampant among whites

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by red99600
    yellow fever is rampant among whites
    +1

Don't do it! I have this stuff on my mazda and it is VERY noticeable. It pisses me off everyday. I might be getting it removed soon.

BTW, this happened within 3 months of owning the car. I cant stand it. I rather chip repair/repaint every few years than have to deal with the nasty look of having my car "condomed".

...just my 2 cents.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    NC1

3M is plastic so you have to clean it.

Here's the BEST stuff you can buy. In an aerosol can where you spray on and use a cloth to wipe it off.

PLEXUS PLASTIC CLEANER: http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html

You can buy it at Blackfoot Motorsports off of Blackfoot Trail/46th AVE SE (beside Shaw GMC).

Ya I 3M'd my SLK. The usual parts, full front bumper, section of hood, fenders, mirrors and a small strip in the rear wheel well.

I would apply the Plexus after every second car wash and not a hint of anything yellow.

Hey G, where are you planning to get your 3M done? There's also different 3M material. I know Shadow Tint and Tinting Illusions uses Xpel. For my NSX and SLK I dealt with a guy name Travis who does it out of his garage in Mckenzie Towne but he uses riccochet. Great guy, good work and awesome prices (cash deal).
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Skateboard

Still shopping around. I heard Xpel isn't as good as 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film but everyone has their opinions on each product.

Getting a deal at Icon from my sales guy.
    Renee, Thompson, TI, Shadow basically quoted me the same prices. Leaning towards Renee because she is very personable and if she can beat the price my sales guy set me up with at Icon.

The 63 will be here sometime next week.

Originally posted by max_boost
    3M is plastic so you have to clean it.

Here's the BEST stuff you can buy. In an aerosol can where you spray on and use a cloth to wipe it off.

PLEXUS PLASTIC CLEANER: http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html

You can buy it at Blackfoot Motorsports off of Blackfoot Trail/46th AVE SE (beside Shaw GMC).

Ya I 3M'd my SLK. The usual parts, full front bumper, section of hood, fenders, mirrors and a small strip in the rear wheel well.

I would apply the Plexus after every second car wash and not a hint of anything yellow.

Hey G, where are you planning to get your 3M done? There's also different 3M material. I know Shadow Tint and Tinting Illusions uses Xpel. For my NSX and SLK I dealt with a guy name Travis who does it out of his garage in Mckenzie Towne but he uses riccochet. Great guy, good work and awesome prices (cash deal).

My Ride
    Skateboard

Do you know what brand you have on your car?

Originally posted by Tomaz

+1

Don't do it! I have this stuff on my mazda and it is VERY noticeable. It pisses me off everyday. I might be getting it removed soon.

BTW, this happened within 3 months of owning the car. I cant stand it. I rather chip repair/repaint every few years than have to deal with the nasty look of having my car "condomed".

...just my 2 cents.

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

I put avery on my gen coupe. didn't want to get the nasty rash rash like i had on previous cars. I also have a place that can do it way cheaper than the dealership

My Ride
    NC1

I'm willing to bet Travis at Car Cosmetix can beat all of the above prices
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

PLEXUS PLASTIC CLEANER
    Will this stuff clean off what is on my 3M now? Or is this more of a maintenance product?

Originally posted by G
    Do you know what brand you have on your car?
    Unfortunately, no.

It came with the car from the dealership, so I assume it is not the best of quality. Dealerships usually use the cheapest crap on the market to save on $$$.

If anyone knows what Kramer Mazda uses for the 3M, please chime in here.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Skateboard

You are right Same cheaper by at least 40%.

Done completely free hand not with pre-cut kits and wrapped around the edges.

So at the price I was quoted. I can just redo them every 3-4 years if it does discolor.

Sam he doesn't use Ricochet any more. He uses a product Avery can out with a few months ago which he said has no texture and is like glass and is barely noticeable on a white car.

Yum....

I'm willing to bet Travis at Car Cosmetix can beat all of the above prices

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

ya they use the cheapest and they charge you a million dollars for it. I got my car fully covered for less than what you probably paid for the one part.

My Ride
    NC1

Will this stuff clean off what is on my 3M now? Or is this more of a maintenance product?

Doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Originally posted by G
    You are right Same cheaper by at least 40%.

Done completely free hand not with pre-cut kits and wrapped around the edges.

So at the price I was quoted. I can just redo them every 3-4 years if it does discolor.

Sam he doesn't use Ricochet any more. He uses a product Avery can out with a few months ago which he said has no texture and is like glass and is barely noticeable on a white car.

Yum....

Ya he was telling me about the new film but I never caught the name of it so I assumed it was just a newer version of Ricochet. Anyway, ya I have the new Avery stuff on the NSX and it is glass like, so very nice. You can check it out sometime if you want.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Skateboard

If its good enough for a NSX it's good enough for my beater.

Doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Ya he was telling me about the new film but I never caught the name of it so I assumed it was just a newer version of Ricochet. Anyway, ya I have the new Avery stuff on the NSX and it is glass like, so very nice. You can check it out sometime if you want.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Probably better to just get it redone so it won't piss you off every time you see it.

Unfortunately, no.

It came with the car from the dealership, so I assume it is not the best of quality. Dealerships usually use the cheapest crap on the market to save on $$$.

If anyone knows what Kramer Mazda uses for the 3M, please chime in here.

My Ride
    1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser

I have used Avery instead of 3m...

no yellowing. its been 4 years.

only downside is it is not as thick as 3m its almost paper thin.
    where will the road take me?
    Certified Vale PDR Technitian

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by Phenix
    ya they use the cheapest and they charge you a million dollars for it. I got my car fully covered for less than what you probably paid for the one part.
    I doubt you paid more

I guess i will try that cleaner out. If it doesn't work, the shit is coming off! Maybe redone with this "glass" stuff... I wouldn't mind seeing it in action on a white vehicle first though!
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast