Quantcast
NYT: Surprise!! 1 Trillion $$ of Resources Found in Afghanistan - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NYT: Surprise!! 1 Trillion $$ of Resources Found in Afghanistan

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Lightbulb NYT: Surprise!! 1 Trillion $$ of Resources Found in Afghanistan

So we know that they were in Iraq for the oil... Right?

This must be a coincidence... Right???

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/wo...wt&twt=nytimes

U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON — The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys.

The vast scale of Afghanistan’s mineral wealth was discovered by a small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists. The Afghan government and President Hamid Karzai were recently briefed, American officials said.

... etc
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    02' dc5

You must live a very sad life to think 9/11 was over lithium deposits....

I have officially decided your views make me dislike you for who you are.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by 2Valve0
    You must live a very sad life to think 9/11 was over lithium deposits....

I have officially decided your views make me dislike you for who you are.

My Views? Who the F*ck are you to tell me what my Views are? At best this is food for thought.

I tried internet arguing with you once before, not going to make that mistake again. Irony seems to be lost on you, just like common sense and coherent thought.

.... F*cking Troll.

At the very least I hope this does get developed and Canada can recoup some of it's costs in the war.

The Chinese are already putting in Mining facilities complete with Chinese soldiers for protection.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Sluts need to get alooooong.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

The area's been unstable for most of industrialized history. Of course there's been no sizable mineral exploration. They have lots of mountains, and with mountains come minerals. You just have to find them.

I don't think this is really news...everybody knew it was there, it's just that nobody ever had the means to look.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

afghanistan is still far to unstable for any serious companies to invest in it, these new finds won't be exploited for a fair amount of time.

"With lots of mountains comes lots of minerals"
    Mountains are formed by compression of tectonic plates. The minerals found here are from igneous (volcanic) rock, which has nothing to do with the mountains just a co-incidence that and igneous intrusion happened in a mountain. In short mountains /= minerals.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I don't think they are in Iraq for the resources, not even slightly.
    Even if they got control of that area and were able to begin operations of extracting whatever resources, how expensive would it be to ship USA contract workers and supplies over there and then ship the product all the way back.

If they were wanting to take control of the resources over there, wouldn't it make more sense to just have the iraqi people excavate it and just buy it from Iraq??
    Or enslave the iraqi people to ship it to the USA for free under the threat of violence. This seems to be what they are good at, so that would seem like the predictable plan.

I could be missing something, but I cannot see any logical reason for USA to care about taking over their resources.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    2010 Acura CSX Type S

Uh buddy. In Iraq for the oil? Canada exports 4x the amount of oil into the states versus what Iraq could ever hope to send stateside. Nearby Saudi Arabia triples the number of barrels that Iraq sends. Hell Mexico is right up there too...

Arguing that the US is in Iraq for oil has always been pretty shallow, considering the cost of fueling the war machine.

Just saying.
    /shrug

Default Re: NYT: Surprise!! 1 Trillion $$ of Resources Found in Afghanistan

Originally posted by broken_legs
    So we know that they were in Iraq for the oil... Right?

This must be a coincidence... Right???

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/wo...mp;twt=nytimes

surprised, shocked, who could have known??

The Pentagon task force has already started trying to "help" the Afghans set up a system to deal with mineral development. International accounting firms that have expertise in mining contracts have been hired to consult with the Afghan Ministry of Mines, and technical data is being prepared to turn over to multinational mining companies and other potential foreign investors. The Pentagon is "helping" Afghan officials arrange to start seeking bids on mineral rights by next fall, officials said.
    lmao

Afghanistan has a national mining law, written with the help of advisers from the World Bank
    lmao

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by Modelexis
    I don't think they are in Iraq for the resources, not even slightly.
    Even if they got control of that area and were able to begin operations of extracting whatever resources, how expensive would it be to ship USA contract workers and supplies over there and then ship the product all the way back.

If they were wanting to take control of the resources over there, wouldn't it make more sense to just have the iraqi people excavate it and just buy it from Iraq??
    Or enslave the iraqi people to ship it to the USA for free under the threat of violence. This seems to be what they are good at, so that would seem like the predictable plan.

I could be missing something, but I cannot see any logical reason for USA to care about taking over their resources.
    I will help you understand

More Money > Less Money

If you control the supply of a resource you also control the cost/price of the resource. You would have to be a complete moron to allow someone else to control the cost/price and buy it off them versus you being the holding party.

I like that you threw in "enslave" them however as that is a regular occurrence in modern society.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Iron? A very practical metal (good for building infrastructure) but its value as a precious metal is suspect.

Pennies are now made of steel, the cheapest metal afterall.

Gold is gold. Infinitely valuable if just for the idea that there is 1000x more paper currency than the gold its supposed to be based on (IE: Currencies are no longer gold backed) If things continue the way they are (printing money in times of recession, and EU countries declaring bankruptcy and bailouts) $2200 an ounce is not far off.

Its never a bad idea to have 2% of personal assets in physical gold.

Lithium? Yes, almost as important and worth nearly as much as gold nowadays, but only in practical use. $100+ for a cellphone battery, but worth next to nothing recycled.

Zimbabwean dollar is like a Nortel share, not worth the paper its printed on. Sadly - many countries are heading this way, including 1 out of 6 Euro nations.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-14-2010 at 05:05 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Views? Who the F*ck are you to tell me what my Views are? At best this is food for thought.

I tried internet arguing with you once before, not going to make that mistake again. Irony seems to be lost on you, just like common sense and coherent thought.

.... F*cking Troll.

At the very least I hope this does get developed and Canada can recoup some of it's costs in the war.

The Chinese are already putting in Mining facilities complete with Chinese soldiers for protection.
    China always heads to where the gold is (regardless of whether its a previous warzone or not). A nation like Afghanistan they don't have the means to mine the vast majority of "surface" gold. Gold is basically easy money for any nation that has the metallurgical skill to cast iron on a large scale. Europe has always lacked the ability somewhat (IE: Even during the gold rush in north america, they could not even create their own iron head pickaxes, instead relying on Chinese imports of tools.)

Who knows, Afghanistan might just get a "free" modern railway without even knowing it. As long as the Chinese get to keep the gold - they are more than willing to build a little infrastructure (in fact - its necessary)

PS: It amazes me that one can go to the dollar store and get a functioning set of steel tools.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-14-2010 at 09:32 AM.

I hope Canada does no such thing. We were not invited, nor are we welcome today, in Afghanistan. We have no right to develop any of their natural resources. Attitudes like yours are why we can't go a week without another one of our brave soldiers getting killed by a roadside bombing.

My Ride
    //M

Unreal find. I doubt this find will make Afghanistan a country that will grow out of the mess its in with this monstrous find, but it's pretty crazy that Chinese companies have invested small amounts of like $4 billion US into mining operations there. The huge issue is whether corruption will affect this mining industry that may emerge.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    02' dc5

Your somehow trying to say that the west is in Iraq for oil...
    and it's somehow related to how afghanistan is being occupied and they have mineral deposits. They live in mountains, obviously there is minerals of value. By saying this was somehow a "coincidence" your saying 9/11 must have been planned somehow so they could invade afghanistan for these deposits.

.... F*cking Troll.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

^^^ How Ironic.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

The Afghan government and President Hamid Karzai were recently briefed,
    So much for using these findings for the betterment of Afghanistan. The world sees resources...Karzai sees $$$ in his pockets.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Iron? A very practical metal (good for building infrastructure) but its value as a precious metal is suspect.

Dunno if it's what you meant, but for future reference, you need iron to make steel. It's an alloy of Carbon and Iron. Also, most infrastructure is made of some kind of steel...

Great news about Afghanistan, another poor country to strip mine and exploit!!!

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by ZenOps

Oh the irony..

Steel is an alloy consisting mostly of iron, with a carbon content between 0.2 and 1.7 or 2.04% by weight (C:1000–10,8.67Fe), depending on grade. Carbon is the most cost-effective alloying material for iron, but various other alloying elements are used such as manganese, chromium, vanadium, and tungsten.

http://periodictable.com/
    Last edited by codetrap; 06-14-2010 at 08:41 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Its life. Canada was carved up for land and resources too.

Of note: Duceppe is going to be trying for Quebec sovereignty again:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1526726/

If sucessful, he should be able to nullify any native contracts signed with the British Crown. As to whether that would start a war is debatable.

Corruption exists everywhere, so do power struggles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast