Quantcast
Am I an asshole? (Credit card kiosks) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Am I an asshole? (Credit card kiosks)

No eye contact is key in these situations. It's even easier if you have headphones and can pretend to not hear them.

I typically just say "no thanks" and keep walking if they get my attention somehow.

I have a personal policy for stuff like this. If I am ever bothered, called at home, someone comes to my door, etc. looking for money or similar, they automatically don't get it. I donate to charities when I can, but strictly those who do not annoy me constantly with phone calls, etc. So the same thing applies to these salespeople in airports and such. Their willingness to constantly annoy people and guilt them into giving them their attention guarantees their company will never see my business.

The worst is when charities call though, they start with a high dollar amount, start working down a scripted list, and they eventually get to like $10 or something and are like "sir, are you telling me that (Insert cause here) isn't even worth $10 to you?". That's when I hang up, and donate to a different charity.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-18-2010 at 10:09 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I usually ignore them and keep walking, but if this were Red Lobster it'd be a whole different ballgame.

My Ride
    a minivan, a maxima, and a KLR

I haven't had anyone overly be pushy about it. I just say "already got the card, thanks" and keep walking.

My Ride
    Some wedges.

Originally posted by Cowtown_Raider
    I haven't had anyone overly be pushy about it. I just say "already got the card, thanks" and keep walking.
    This never fails for me.
    WTB:
    87+ AW11 ds valence panel, ds fender, rear visor. Burgundy interior parts as well.
    7th gen Celica antenna assembly

Please PM me, thanks!

My Ride
    Bicycle

I guess I'm an asshole because I did everything on your list except the 15yr old (can't pull it off) and parent pay debt cards (also probably can't pull it off).

My Ride
    NC1

CASH ONLY TOMCO!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Axis powers

i think next time i'll start speaking broken english like a chinaman
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    This and that.

I say ballers don't need credit cards, we roll with cash biatch.

Seem to work....

But seriously hate those fuckers, they are so annoying. Same with the one's that sit inside Canadian Tire. I know they are doing their job but it bloody sucks, same with the damn tele marketeers.

When I was in Scotland, I'd just say 'can't do it, am an international student'. Maybe should start doing that here too now. lol

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    No eye contact is key in these situations. It's even easier if you have headphones and can pretend to not hear them.

I typically just say "no thanks" and keep walking if they get my attention somehow.

I have a personal policy for stuff like this. If I am ever bothered, called at home, someone comes to my door, etc. looking for money or similar, they automatically don't get it. I donate to charities when I can, but strictly those who do not annoy me constantly with phone calls, etc. So the same thing applies to these salespeople in airports and such. Their willingness to constantly annoy people and guilt them into giving them their attention guarantees their company will never see my business.

The worst is when charities call though, they start with a high dollar amount, start working down a scripted list, and they eventually get to like $10 or something and are like "sir, are you telling me that (Insert cause here) isn't even worth $10 to you?". That's when I hang up, and donate to a different charity.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Originally posted by Mar

That's awesome. Good find.

That is what a cellphone is for, simply whip it out and start talking. The salesperson will slip away, if not you walk away.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Ya I got the same World Vision ads as well.

There have been a bunch of World Vision people downtown here over the past few weeks in the +15 and at the street level. The first one I encountered outside First Canadian Centre I told him that I don't donate to religious organizations, and he shut up after that. The second group I encountered in the +15 between TD Square and Scotia Centre. This time I just glared at her as I went by and she didn't dare say a word to me

But ya...credit card kiosks (and religious organizations) are the ones that bother me the most.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by e31
    On a similar note, I notice that sometimes when I get a telemarketer on the phone I just set the phone down and let them talk. You know they will read through the whole script until you say anything.

I can only imagine how much that sucks to be on the other end...
    Haha I love doing that. I recently added getting a glass of coke (to prepare my body) and burping into the phone every 30 seconds or so.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Last time I just told them I already have their card and they just walked away instantly.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by Cowtown_Raider
    ^^^
    This. Or if I am in a bad mood I tell them that if they ask me one more time I will cancel it just to spite them.

I don't think the OP is an asshole. Seriously, they are pestering YOU, interrupting YOUR day, it is done at their risk.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    See sig

I think it's important that you all know the people wearing vests downtown aren't volunteers.

They work for a company. Company collects your donation - pays themselves and their employees, and what's left actually goes to the charity, which is $0.15 of every dollar, or less. And that $0.15 has to cover the overhead of their own operations before any of it actually gets to charity.

They get your info and ask how much you'll think you can give, one time or monthly... then they get your info... address and phone number. They mail the 'information pack' which is essentially a form asking for your credit card info with the amount you said typed into it already. Don't return the 'donation kit' and the harassing phonecalls start, and they will even go as far as to make claims that it will affect your credit (completely untrue).

I worked with one of these companies many years ago to put myself through school. Slimy ass shit going on. Everyone I worked with including management came straight from the Kingston Penn. It was funny working in an 'office environment' where fights would break out at least once a week.
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

My Ride
    Discreet

The easiest way to get rid of these people is to creep them the fuck out, I usually almost always pretend to be desperate for a friend. Last time I was asked at the airport I tried getting the girl to go out with me to Montanas for lunch. Needless to say she had to take a break and I didn't see her again for that 45 minute lay over.

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by Onassis
    The easiest way to get rid of these people is to creep them the fuck out, I usually almost always pretend to be desperate for a friend. Last time I was asked at the airport I tried getting the girl to go out with me to Montanas for lunch. Needless to say she had to take a break and I didn't see her again for that 45 minute lay over.
    .... thats kind of weird.

i just try to ask the hardest possible questions, i get people coming into my work who want to employ me to their stupid pyramid schemes.

Originally posted by e31
    On a similar note, I notice that sometimes when I get a telemarketer on the phone I just set the phone down and let them talk. You know they will read through the whole script until you say anything.

I can only imagine how much that sucks to be on the other end...
    I go one step further:

"Ohh...yeah? Really???? YES I'm VERY interested...hold on...I want to get a pen......"

Then put the phone beside me while I watch tv...I like to time them to see how long they wait for me to return. One was over 10 minutes....an inquisitive "...hu..hullo??" every so often to which I respond "Yeah...hold on...almost found one!"

My Ride
    The Bus

No, you are not the only one.

I tell them I am bankrupt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast