Quantcast
My house co-owner has refused to pay any more of the mortgage - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: My house co-owner has refused to pay any more of the mortgage

Originally posted by Mar
    Some of us are trying to figure this out on our own, this is my first house and I don't have anyone to show me how it works. But thanks for being so understanding.
    Gotta give credit where credit's due, I'm sorry about ripping on your business, it sounds legit. Truth of the matter is, I don't know you, you don't know me... it's all a guessing game on the Internet, but my guess is that regardless of how much you're making on your seismic storage software, $135k is not chump change to you... and that's how much exposure you had when you made your joint home purchase. Actually, double that, because you essentially co-signed on the other half of the mortgage as well.

It floors me that you haven't taken a look at the direction of the market from the date of purchase until just recently, especially when you're at the point where lawyers are involved. I mean... rounds and rounds of negotiations on who takes what, who moves out, who stays, etc... and neither one of you knows if you're fighting for equity or debt? That, to me, is ridiculous.

Originally posted by Mar
    Sorry man, not all of us go out of our way to take courses to build our careers on managing finances, some of us contribute to the economy in other ways.
    When I purchased, held, and sold my first property (also a joint purchase) I was in engineering and hadn't taken a single finance or economics course in my life. However, I had enough sense to know that when you're signing yourself up for something in the $XXX,XXX range that you should do some digging on it and figure out just what you're getting yourself into.

Originally posted by Mar
    But let me get this straight.....you take peoples' money (or just your own) and attempt to give them a worthwhile ROI, correct? And now you laugh in my face because I'm not as good at it as you are? Sorry but when people come to me with computer issues I tend to help them instead of laughing in their faces.
    I do nothing of the sort. I am a janitor. I laugh in no man's face.

Originally posted by Mar
    That's why I'm successful.
    Congratulations on your success

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Super_Geo

potentially even pay her?

You guys are both so fucking financially stupid that it hurts my brain. People as financially illiterate as you two are the reason why the US went through a housing crash.

What is your home business? Do you take your client's money and make confetti with it?

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by Mar
    Wow, lots of comedians here, sounds like some of you should be down at the local highschools pointing and laughing at fat kids. Some of us are trying to figure this out on our own, this is my first house and I don't have anyone to show me how it works. But thanks for being so understanding.
    I don't think you're fat or stupid at all dude. I'm just super surprised that there wasn't any research done. Mortgages are things that tie people up for their entire healthy lives sometimes.. I'd personally do as much research as possible. In joint deal like that, you couldn't NOT go into it being prepared to destroy the other person if the situation called for it. Always have to have an out.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Originally posted by Mar

Not quite. I actually provide them with custom software solutions they pay a very pretty penny for. You may have seen some of my work, it's used as the primary seismic data storage solution for almost every major oil and gas company worldwide.

What is the name of the database software? I've worked with this kind of information and I would be interested to hear where you fit in.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Originally posted by Mar

Not quite. I actually provide them with custom software solutions they pay a very pretty penny for. You may have seen some of my work, it's used as the primary seismic data storage solution for almost every major oil and gas company worldwide.

Holy Zuckerberg. It must be trendy for the ultra-rich to rent, or to take a year and a half to pay down $13k on a jointly owned $270k house.

Super Geo, my janitorial brother. You may have seen some of my work too. It's used as the primary repository for some of the most influential people in Calgary.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

Super Geo, my janitorial brother. You may have seen some of my work too.
    OH SNAP. Thats cold

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Got a new offer. I can buy her out for the low, low price of $15,000.
    This is nonsense, I'm just going to sell the place, negotiations are going nowhere. Anyone want to buy a house?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Originally posted by Mar
    Got a new offer. I can buy her out for the low, low price of $15,000.
    This is nonsense, I'm just going to sell the place, negotiations are going nowhere. Anyone want to buy a house?
    any info on the house?
    Originally posted by theken
    Off duty cop means not a cop. At that time he is a normal person.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yes. Just like a ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja.

My Ride
    Is fun!

Errr.....you can't sell a jointly owned property without the other owner's compliance (unless court ordered, of course)..

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by jazzyb
    any info on the house?
    Coral Springs
    2 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom
    all carpet / linoleum removed and hardwood floor laid down through entire house
    developed basement / workshop
    attached garage
    1250 square feet (not including basement)
    Paid $267,500 but with the market might have to take a $30,000 bath on it. Or more.

Originally posted by Wrinkly
    Errr.....you can't sell a jointly owned property without the other owner's compliance (unless court ordered, of course)..
    Fine, she can keep renting the place she's in and paying for her lawyer with money she doesn't have.
    Or she can agree to sell it and be done with the situation.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Not really sure what to do here.

Rewind to a couple of weeks ago:
    - My lawyer was waiting on me to accept/reject an offer but I was overloaded with work and hadn't replied to him in almost a week.
    - He sent me another offer from my roommate which said I had taken too long to respond and now I would have to pay $15,000 to buy her out instead of the previously agreed upon $7500. I had 48 hours to accept or measures would be taken to list the house for sale.
    - I agreed to list the house for sale and asked about a listing price. No response.
    - I texted her with Jordan's number asking her to call him to give him the information he needs. No response.
    - I texted her saying we don't need the lawyers anymore and I need a listing price. No response.
    - Jordan called her and left a message to call her back. No response.

It's been 2 weeks since I said we should sell it, I have heard nothing. I even asked my lawyer to confirm with her lawyer that I have the correct contact information for her. No response. I'm not really too motivated to do anything here because I'm fine to just be doing everything the same as if I owned the place anyway. But if she finally got everything moving I'd be glad to resolve it.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Mar
    Not really sure what to do here.

Rewind to a couple of weeks ago:
    - My lawyer was waiting on me to accept/reject an offer but I was overloaded with work and hadn't replied to him in almost a week.
    - He sent me another offer from my roommate which said I had taken too long to respond and now I would have to pay $15,000 to buy her out instead of the previously agreed upon $7500. I had 48 hours to accept or measures would be taken to list the house for sale.
    - I agreed to list the house for sale and asked about a listing price. No response.
    - I texted her with Jordan's number asking her to call him to give him the information he needs. No response.
    - I texted her saying we don't need the lawyers anymore and I need a listing price. No response.
    - Jordan called her and left a message to call her back. No response.

It's been 2 weeks since I said we should sell it, I have heard nothing. I even asked my lawyer to confirm with her lawyer that I have the correct contact information for her. No response. I'm not really too motivated to do anything here because I'm fine to just be doing everything the same as if I owned the place anyway. But if she finally got everything moving I'd be glad to resolve it.
    Sorry, why would you pay her anything? The house is worth less than what you both owe right?

The only thing I would pay this bitch is a visit from my knuckles directly to the middle of her face.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

Originally posted by arian_ma
    The only thing I would pay this bitch is a visit from my knuckles directly to the middle of her face.
    Seriously. I'm not one to prone violence but if the story is really what it looks like she's the biggest bitch in history. Christ. I guess I'd be willing to lose some cash though just to get rid of this shit-show situation.
    Porsche 944S2 Cabrio

Is this your friend who was charged with refusing to blow and kept changing her story? That would be a shock.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    Sorry, why would you pay her anything? The house is worth less than what you both owe right?
    Correct. That's why I chose to sell instead of paying her to take over her negative equity. She's as bad at math as I used to be.

Originally posted by bitteeinbit
    Seriously. I'm not one to prone violence but if the story is really what it looks like she's the biggest bitch in history. Christ. I guess I'd be willing to lose some cash though just to get rid of this shit-show situation.
    It's straight forward how I explained it, I even left out 70% of the things she did to try and keep her dignity. I'm only concerned with figuring this out, not destroying her reputation. If I was being a dick I would certainly say so.

Originally posted by dexlargo
    Is this your friend who was charged with refusing to blow and kept changing her story? That would be a shock.
    That girl is my ex, she was best friends with my roommate (probably how this started) and all charges were dropped against her for lack of evidence. No conviction, no charge. The cop fucked up.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

The past 24 hours have been interesting. I had no idea if she was getting my texts/calls about selling the place until I got a rather large package in the mail for her, for someone reason the sender didn't use her new address. So being the nice guy I am, I wrote her and offered to get it to her.

Sent by Mar
    I have a package here for you. Tell me when you want to come by and I'll leave it in the mailbox. Also let me know what you want to list the house at.
    I heard nothing until (I guess) she came by the house at 2pm yesterday and sent me this:

Sent by roommate
    Just so you know changing the locks is illegal but dont worry ill just add it to the list of things im charging you for
    And the texting began.

Sent by Mar
    I forgot how cheerful you can be. Do you want me to leave it in the mailbox or at the post office?
    Sent by roommate
    blah blah, you're breaking condo rules, blah blah, I need a key, blah blah, I want to rent out my room......
    So she wants to rent out a room in a house she hasn't paid for in 12 months. Right.

Sent by Mar
    So you don't want to sell now? Can you make up your mind please? Just let me know, I don't care either way.
    Sent by roommate
    and its not my problem youre unemployed and poor - we had an agreement. If you want to go to court and have all the charges laid to you and end up having to pay me more money in the end I guess thats the path you chosen
    When I quit my job to start my own company she assumed I got fired and I just never told her the difference. She still thinks I'm unemployed and poor.

Sent by Mar
    Sorry no money, I'm poor. Do you want the house? You can have it, no joke.
    Sent by roommate
    Listen we had an agreement and you failed to follow through because you have realized that being unemployed and living alone doesnt pay the bills - I want my money or your life is going to get a lot harder - changing the locks has pissed me off one last time
    Sent by roommate
    No I dont want it I live in a great house
    Sent by Mar
    Sign it over or let's sell it, I'm not paying you
    Sent by roommate
    Im taking you to court - I dont care what you do with the house - burn it for all I care but I still want my money - so get yourself some roommates or whatever you have to do because I am going to get it from you one way or another

Can someone please tell me I'm not crazy and I've done everything I can do to work this out? I'm going to have to go to the court house this week and apply for a partition to force the sale, anyone know any details on that? Shouldn't be too hard with her $10,000 behind on bills and living somewhere else.

My Ride
    Lease

Time to post nudes of this cat lady.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by Mar

Coral Springs
    2 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom
    all carpet / linoleum removed and hardwood floor laid down through entire house
    developed basement / workshop
    attached garage
    1250 square feet (not including basement)
    Paid $267,500 but with the market might have to take a $30,000 bath on it. Or more.

Fine, she can keep renting the place she's in and paying for her lawyer with money she doesn't have.
    Or she can agree to sell it and be done with the situation.
    Gat damn dude. You sure you can't move it for your purchase price? I thought Coral Springs was a nice hood? I'd wait it all out if you're not taking debilitating cash losses on it. Hell, rent some rooms out yourself.. find ways to make her liable?

Ps. You're not crazy, even if you were 100x less civil than you are, I feel you're in the right.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by CUG
    Gat damn dude. You sure you can't move it for your purchase price? I thought Coral Springs was a nice hood? I'd wait it all out if you're not taking debilitating cash losses on it. Hell, rent some rooms out yourself.. find ways to make her liable?

Ps. You're not crazy, even if you were 100x less civil than you are, I feel you're in the right.
    Coral Springs is awesome, especially with the beach a 30 second walk away. But I'm in the gated townhouses on the corner and one of the actual full on houses with double garage was just listed at $310,000 so nobody's going to be looking at this place. The last 2 to sell in here were for $216,000 and $218,000 with the same square footage. Only thing I got is the previous owners developed the basement, upgraded the cabinets and laid hardwood through the entire house, top to bottom. Adds maybe 10 Gs I guess.

But I'm good for paying for the place, my mortgage payment is about 20% of my monthly income so I'll stay if she gives it to me. Unfortunately she takes pride in making my life as difficult as possible.

If anyone has any information on what's involved in filing for a partition (force of sale) or any alternative options, let me know. I'll go to the courts as soon as I can but I'm on a pretty tight timeline with one of my projects and I'm the senior developer. Taking a day off won't be very easy.

I have since designed a rigorous screening process for new friends.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast