Quantcast
How much do realtors charge for selling my house? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How much do realtors charge for selling my house?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by themack89

I do not see how this rant proves that running your mouth and being a telephone jockey for extended hours constitutes as hard work?

I think our definitions of hard work are vastly different. I also think more people need to start realizing if you can make a living doing this kind of stuff, it is more of a privilege than anything else. Believe me when I say this because I have been on both ends of the spectrum.

My grandmother was part of the million dollar real estate club when it existed (not sure if it still does) and she also agrees its a pretty damn easy job.

A+ for effort though.
    I don't have to go work on a rig to know what hard work is, but thanks. I see what you tried to do there.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Originally posted by A790

I don't have to go work on a rig to know what hard work is, but thanks. I see what you tried to do there.

I pursued that because I couldn't appreciate the food on my plate by tapping on a keyboard.

Until you're out there you really don't have a feeling for it.

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

I'm a day late,.. but I feel the need to defend (at least myself)

I've done my time and my right knee paid the price - I can't do any physical labour job ever again.

Back in BC,.. I worked the fishing docks as a dock foreman in 96,.. then out in the 'chuck' as a fisherman on a 52' steel hull prawning boat. - up at 5, work at 6, finish at 10, asleep at 10:30, 2 weeks out, 4 days in (of those 4 days in, 1/2 day to unpack the boat, and 1/2 day used to load up the boat).

also worked a 36' longliner catching all the live cod the richmond restaurants bought.

worked the bar scene - not difficult until you break-up bar brawls between newfies and natives on a weekly occurrence.

Then moved here and worked new construction - drywall
    after a handful of years then did my own thing with reno's till my knee just quit.

Had to do something else so tapping on a keyboard and working the phone is the next best thing for me to stay in the housing scene - sorry to disappoint you that I'm not a hard worker anymore.

I have aged more in the last 3 years than I have in the previous 11, just due to the nature of this business.

If I could've carried on with construction I would, but just yesterday I had to wear a knee brace to just walk the stampede grounds with a limp.

So I guess I'm saying is that not all realtors have not 'done their time' and to please not stereo-type us all.
    Last edited by barmanjay; 07-16-2010 at 03:32 PM.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Originally posted by barmanjay
    I'm a day late,.. but I feel the need to defend (at least myself)

I've done my time and my right knee paid the price - I can't do any physical labour job ever again.

Back in BC,.. I worked the fishing docks as a dock foreman in 96,.. then out in the 'chuck' as a fisherman on a 52' steel hull prawning boat. - up at 5, work at 6, finish at 10, asleep at 10:30, 2 weeks out, 4 days in (of those 4 days in, 1/2 day to unpack the boat, and 1/2 day used to load up the boat).

also worked a 36' longliner catching all the live cod the richmond restaurants bought.

worked the bar scene - not difficult until you break-up bar brawls between newfies and natives on a weekly occurrence.

Then moved here and worked new construction - drywall
    after a handful of years then did my own thing with reno's till my knee just quit.

Had to do something else so tapping on a keyboard and working the phone is the next best thing for me to stay in the housing scene - sorry to disappoint you that I'm not a hard worker anymore.

I have aged more in the last 3 years than I have in the previous 11, just due to the nature of this business.

If I could've carried on with construction I would, but just yesterday I had to wear a knee brace to just walk the stampede grounds with a limp.

So I guess I'm saying is that not all realtors have not 'done their time' and to please not stereo-type us all.
    I respect this. Someone who has paid their dues on both ends.

I just can't respect someone who has never swung a hammer or had sweat dripping down their face for their paycheck and tell me they had a hard day. Keep in mind I left university because I started to believe what I preach, and I am easily capable of 3.5GPA territory (not to sound conceited).

Next time you're on the C-Train in the morning look at peoples footwear. Ask yourself who is truly more deserving: the guy wearing the moccasins or the guy wearing the steel-toes. After actually working, I have gained so much respect for this side of life.

Just personal opinion THATS IT THATS ALL.
    Last edited by themack89; 07-16-2010 at 03:46 PM.

^JimRome99?

My Ride

Originally posted by atgilchrist
    ^JimRome99?
    Yep

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Mar, just list on kijiji/calgaryfinder/craigslist yourself, sometimes realtors dont even bother listing it on the mls.ca anymore

Funny thing is that if you check themack89/JimRome99 profile, he claims to born in 1989. So that's some pretty judgmental statements from a 21 year old. Seriously to be crapping on other people's careers with a guy barely old enough in starting one..wth?

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Originally posted by thetransporter
    .... sometimes realtors dont even bother listing it on the mls.ca anymore

that would be pretty retarded, we pay monthly/yearly for the service and etc
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by Choice
    Funny thing is that if you check themack89/JimRome99 profile, he claims to born in 1989. So that's some pretty judgmental statements from a 21 year old. Seriously to be crapping on other people's careers with a guy barely old enough in starting one..wth?
    kids eh!

My Ride
    Highlander

I dont know, our realtor kicks ass. He worked his ever loving butt off for us when we bought our first house and then 2 years later when we sold it and bought our current house. The hours were insane, the amount of time and driving he did for us, the info he gave us that we never would have known. All the paper work, the title switches, the walk through to get our place ready to sell, dealing with a bitch of a builder (we bought an existing house directly from a builder off of mls) then he helped us deal with some of the problems afterwards (like the fact that we had no appliances when we moved in). Hell, he even took us for dinner twice, once when we were waiting to sell our house and once when we were waiting to hear back about an offer to buy our house. He worked damn hard for us and I don't know if he's a rare one, but he earned every penny of his commission. If nothing else, he made the whole process less scarry for us both times. I told Rolland that the only way I would consider selling our first place was if we could have our realtor help us through it all again. So if that doesnt show confidence and trust in someone, I don't know what does.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

I don't know who Jim Rome is but I am glad there are others out there who share similar views.

I don't like disclosing my age because I know everyone always resorts to the "well hes only a kid! don't listen to him". lol awesome!

I'm not trying to crap on anyone's career, I'm merely saying its hard to respect some people who call themselves hard workers when they really aren't. I do consider them lucky though, how in this country and this day n age, a line of 'work' like this can actually put food on your plate. Its a privilege and a miracle if you step back and take a look around.

I'm all for it if you want to work smart instead of hard. But never confuse the two; if you choose that lifestyle you will be working exactly that, smart, so don't tell people you work hard. Sure tell me you had to stay an extra 10 hours, sure tell me it was frustrating trying to work out the deal, sure tell me you really went out of your way to please your client, but tell me you worked hard and I will be enraged.

Listen to what is being said, do not judge me by my age.

My Ride
    CRF 250L

I'm all for it if you want to work smart instead of hard. But never confuse the two; if you choose that lifestyle you will be working exactly that, smart, so don't tell people you work hard. Sure tell me you had to stay an extra 10 hours, sure tell me it was frustrating trying to work out the deal, sure tell me you really went out of your way to please your client, but tell me you worked hard and I will be enraged.

Listen to what is being said, do not judge me by my age.
    You're sounding jim Romish.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

It's not so much your age that will make others decide to listen OR not. It's your message and what it's based on.

So you're saying people can work either smart or hard, but never both? Wow, in your world things are so absolute, there's no room for shades of grey nor compromise. So the doctor who's works 'smart', but has to work a 20 hr shift at the hospital and still be functional for the entire duration isn't working hard? The fact is you haven't done enough time in the rat race of the working world to be acting so high and mighty. Just like barmanjay, I've done time in both blue and white colllar jobs - and guess what? I've worked HARD in both working worlds. So guess that might 'enrage' you, but relax and be a little more open minded.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

So you're saying people can work either smart or hard, but never both? Wow, in your world things are so absolute, there's no room for shades of grey nor compromise. So the doctor who's works 'smart', but has to work a 20 hr shift at the hospital and still be functional for the entire duration isn't working hard? The fact is you haven't done enough time in the rat race of the working world to be acting so high and mighty. Just like barmanjay, I've done time in both blue and white colllar jobs - and guess what? I've worked HARD in both working worlds. So guess that might 'enrage' you, but relax and be a little more open minded.
    Again you are bringing up the same points that A790 brought up. How difficult is your life if you spend most of your time tapping a keyboard, talking on a phone, or administering shots and writing prescriptions? The work in itself is not hard and demanding, but you are trying to throw in other things to try and sell it as such. I imagine you are probably going to try and tell me how stressful some jobs are? Can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

And again you are judging me by my age saying I haven't spent enough time in the working world to know what I am talking about. How do you know this? You know nothing of who I am, where I've been, and what I've been through. Just because I learn faster from my experiences than you do (e.g. the types of work I have been through, the lifestyles I have tasted, etc) doesn't mean you can dismiss my judgements simply on the point that I haven't been doing it for 40 years.
    Last edited by themack89; 07-18-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Again you are bringing up the same points that A790 brought up. How difficult is your life if you spend most of your time tapping a keyboard, talking on a phone, or administering shots and writing prescriptions? The work in itself is not hard and demanding, but you are trying to throw in other things to try and sell it as such. I imagine you are probably going to try and tell me how stressful some jobs are? Can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

And again you are judging me by my age saying I haven't spent enough time in the working world to know what I am talking about. How do you know this? You know nothing of who I am, where I've been, and what I've been through. Just because I learn faster from my experiences than you do (e.g. the types of work I have been through, the lifestyles I have tasted, etc) doesn't mean you can dismiss my judgements simply on the point that I haven't been doing it for 40 years.
    Guess you did get ENRAGED. A little defensive aren't we?

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Guess you did get ENRAGED. A little defensive aren't we?
    lol.. You seem more immature than I am. Try debate instead of constantly judging me.

If you have nothing else relatively intelligent to say then I suppose end of discussion?

My Ride
    Audi A4 Quattro

ahaha and once again a thread like this comes up.
    Reading through comments on realtors not putting a place on the MLS is hilarious. We spend thousands for the system so if your realtor didnt put it on the MLS i suggest speaking with someone else.
    As for the putting your time in stuff Im 22 and been in the industry since i was basically able to legally do so. Prior to I worked some construction but found myself to not be a labor guy. Doesnt mean im lazy, any realtor including our sponsor realtor (who does more deals than the rest of us combined i bet lol) will tell you that a 7am to 2am day is not uncommon. Much of it while not physcially straining is mentally straining.
    At the end of the day everyone has oppinions, just dont stereotype 1 bad experience into they must all be bad.

My Ride

We can dismiss your judgements based on the sole point that you hold a terribly myopic view of the world, blinded by your own ignorance and complete lack of desire to even attempt to empathize with those around you.

Hell, at this point, I can choose to dismiss you based on the fact that you've proven yourself to be a stubborn douche numerous times in this thread.

In essence, what this post really means is that, just like the way you choose to cast a biased eye towards any career that doesn't involve physical labour, anyone can return that favour by reminding you that physical labour doesn't necessarily equal hard work.

Oh, and please, go tell a dactor (who spent the better part of 10 years studying/working their ass of in med school/residency) that they don't work hard. Just make sure you go to a different doctor when you're sick

Have a nice day, Jim!

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Originally posted by A790

We can dismiss your judgements based on the sole point that you hold a terribly myopic view of the world, blinded by your own ignorance and complete lack of desire to even attempt to empathize with those around you.

Hell, at this point, I can choose to dismiss you based on the fact that you've proven yourself to be a stubborn douche numerous times in this thread.

In essence, what this post really means is that, just like the way you choose to cast a biased eye towards any career that doesn't involve physical labour, anyone can return that favour by reminding you that physical labour doesn't necessarily equal hard work.

Oh, and please, go tell a dactor (who spent the better part of 10 years studying/working their ass of in med school/residency) that they don't work hard. Just make sure you go to a different doctor when you're sick

Have a nice day, Jim!
    Believe me, I am anything but ignorant. I know what it is like to work my ass off in school because I have been there, I know what it is like to work my ass off wielding a hammer because I have been there, and I know what it is like to work my ass off pecking at a keyboard, guess why? Oh yeah, because I've been there. I am biased towards the labor side of life because never ever have I respected a dollar earned more than the ones I got from an aching and bruised body.

Lacking respect and being ignorant are two completely different things. Stop confusing them and maybe you will understand my point. A means of living via pushing a pen and dialing a phone is a HUGE life privilege that many take for granted. I just want people to stand back and just thank someone that they are able to live this life.

I also don't understand how my lack of empathy towards others makes it okay to dismiss my judgements? Because I don't feel sorry for people or you think I don't try to relate? The reason I don't empathize is because the list of people worthy of empathizing with is very short, people like Barmanjay are on that list. I can't respect a lot of people because they dismiss the alternative to life as if its not even an option and its silly to even considerate it.

"Son, you are very smart. You can do anything you want; Lawyer, Doctor, Engineer, you name it and it's yours."

"I wanna work in the coal mines!"

"Why would you throw your life away? Go to school, get a good job, and make lots of money."

I will agree with you, my eye is extremely biased. But that is the core of a fun debate.

My opinion on doctors is a whole other topic haha. I'll be short, I only respect the ones who do it to help people. You'd be surprised how many people who have become doctors for very wrong reasons: money, rite of passage, feeling of accomplishment, respect, simply because they could do it. If I tell a doctor they don't work hard, I'm sure reactions would be mixed; but if I told a doctor who was seeking respect, feeling of accomplishment, etc that they don't work hard--yeah you're right I should find another doctor when I need medical help. P.S. I think they have to sign an oath where they can't use their knowledge of medicine to do harm or something like that--so you would definitely fall into the category of doctors I wouldn't want to tell "you don't work hard".

But seriously, you can check my IP or whatever you have to. I'm not jim and it's cool he really left an impression on you guys, but srsly. Me =/= Jim.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast