Quantcast
Anyone out there 3D Model with 3DS Max, Maya, V-Ray, Mental ray etc? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone out there 3D Model with 3DS Max, Maya, V-Ray, Mental ray etc?

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Default Anyone out there 3D Model with 3DS Max, Maya, V-Ray, Mental ray etc?

This may be the wrong section, but seeing as it is about cars, and Photoshop is generally used in the process, I figured it better than anywhere else.

I have recently been reviewing and researching, as well as some modeling with 3DS Max with Mental Ray. I have to say, as far as your mind can think, and you are used to this type of Software, your imagination is endless with photo like precision in final rendered images. Obviously the skill takes time to achieve, it also gives me a better understanding and respect when it comes to Pro Photographers. There is a lot of Shit to learn!!

My interests while learning this program are obviously of the automotive nature, as some may remember from my Photoshop days here with Cycosis, Nismodrifter, Hashman etc etc. The ability to model a vehicle to whatever spec or look you like in full 3D is pretty fricken cool. Not to mention the video and animation capabilities.

As well as automotive I like the program for it's architectural aspect. I have always appreciated modern, funky, minimalist-ish looking places. Having (eventually) the ability to create your own space in photo quality rendering is pretty cool as well.

Ya never know, perhaps I will quit the ever old Oil and Gas Process Pipe Design gig and do cool shit for rich people in Hot Climates. (POP goes the dream bubble) haha

Below is a set of Wheels I just did a Clay Rendering of. The tires are very temporary as I was messing with a technique for making realistic treads as opposed to applying bump and bitmaps.

Kudos to anyone that knows what Vehicle these wheels belong to. Hopefully the car turns out well enough to understand what it is.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I've been working on a CR-Z lately in my spare time...

http://www.modelexis.com/img/3d/CRZ/

the higher the number the further along in the WIP.

Modeled in Maya 2009 and rendered in Maxwell.

There is a max file in there if you wanna open up an early version and see how it looks in the program.
    hit up my website for some other works.

I'm actually trying to get into AutoCAD, I took it at SAIT recently, and i'm trying to move more into your line of work and away from art.

Last edited by Modelexis; 06-29-2010 at 10:46 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Excellent work Modelexis! This is exactly where I want to be. I like the detail in your work. Perhaps I could ask a few questions or even show you my work. I have only started one car. I don't get at it everyday so it has taken me a bit. Why I chose the Ferrari Enzo as a first project, I have no idea. We will see how it turns out. I really only have a basic "shell" of it now.

I will keep my eyes and ears peeled for you in respects to your new career interests. If only we could make a career trade.

Again, Nice work!
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Damn Modelexis that CR-Z looks great. I recently got a new comp and got 3ds max, vray and some other programs to play around with as my old comp could never handle them, looks like you are off to a great start Kona9, hopefully I can get the hang of it like that.

Where did you learn 3ds? any good internet sites you recommend for tutorials?

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

originally I you tubed the 'Digital Tutors' Automotive modeling videos.

I also peer around 3DM3.com
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

Originally posted by Modelexis

thats neat, final image looks like gran turismo graphics.

Yup, 3ds MAX, vray, rhino are my weapons of choice,
    but at work its mostly sketchup

Check out some of the great stuff here, where I go to get inspired once in a while

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Kona the best resource on the net is a site call CGarchitect. They have sections for all of the different modeling and rendering programs. It is actually run by a guy from Calgary who has great connections to some of the best people in the business from around the world.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/

the forums are here. There is so much good info here.

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/

I nornally render/model office furniture but I did play around making this model a few years back.

"if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

sorry to hijack the thread, just a new render...

Last edited by Modelexis; 08-22-2010 at 01:31 AM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

thats a great looking colour on the crz

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

hella flush version with some mugen lip kit pieces:

Last edited by Modelexis; 09-15-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Default Anyone out there 3D Model with 3DS Max, Maya, V-Ray, Mental ray etc?

CR-Z you looks great, really nice model.

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Thanks for the info Rotten!

Great new renders Modelexis!

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Thanks guys:

I put together a short video of the model if you care to see:

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by Modelexis
    hella flush version with some mugen lip kit pieces:

Loving the model. It looks like this requires a camber adjustment after lowering, though

My Ride
    GTI 1.8T

Yeah you definitely have some skills, the close up of the blue painted one looks great. How long did it take you?

Jeff Mottle, who runs CGarchitect.com, came to SAIT and spoke to us about 3D modeling. He's a pretty interesting guy with a lot of knowledge on the future of computers in Architecture, 3D modeling and design.

For architecture at SAIT, we used Autodesk Revit, which can be exported to 3Ds Max or render in Revit, but I like 3Ds Max, can do a lot better renderings.

Here's a project I did at SAIT, sorry it's not automotive related. Photoshop + Revit a little sketchup and this was the end result.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by calgarydub; 05-29-2011 at 03:58 AM.