Quantcast
Ability to speak Chinese required for Calgary Autobody? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ability to speak Chinese required for Calgary Autobody?

My Ride
    Has AWD

for the few in this thread who apparently have NO CLUE, discrimination and racism are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS........just wanted to clear that up, i thought that was pretty straight forward but i guess not

Default Re: Re: speaking Chinese

Originally posted by msommers

You know, I'm have to agree somewhat here. It is so fucking frustrating to go to even a Subway and have to repeat shit five or ten times because they don't understand...like at the UofC...bah!

Can you blame a 1st generation immigrant who can't speak English? Especially when they came here in their 30s or older, it gets hard to pick up another language while struggling with building a new life.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Lot of people in this thread need to get a life and start worrying about there own pathetic existances.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by psycoticclown
    Maybe the owners are white and just want a person that speaks Chinese to help translate for their customers, the majority of which could be Chinese? Why does everybody automatically assume the owners must be Chinese.
    Because the owner is Chinese.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

It should be stated that the English language is a must for all Helpdesk positions. God damn...

My Ride
    TL

Default Re: Re: Re: speaking Chinese

Originally posted by 5t3v3

Can you blame a 1st generation immigrant who can't speak English? Especially when they came here in their 30s or older, it gets hard to pick up another language while struggling with building a new life.
    .... don't come to canada then?

I'm with the OP on this one. I can't see how a language is relavent to the job position.

My Ride
    A250

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: speaking Chinese

Originally posted by dandia89

I'm with the OP on this one. I can't see how a language is relavent to the job position.
    Did you just skip the whole thread?
    Effective communication between the employee and the customer is pretty important I would suggest. If the majority of the clients speak chinese whether canto/mando as their native language, I'm sure they would feel more comfortable communicating with others using that language.
    So having an employee who can effectively communicate with your clients is better than having one that cannot.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Wanted an assistant or helper to work with Motor Vehicle Body Repairer. This is a full-time position. $20.00 per hour. Ability to speak Cantonese and Mandarin required. Contact Derrick Cung at National Collision Ltd. by fax at (403) 250-5538 or by e-mail at: [email protected]
    So the guy wants someone that can speak Cantonese and Mandarin in his shop.

Who the fuck cares if you can't meet the requirements? Find something else to do with your life then.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Re: Re: Re: speaking Chinese

Originally posted by 5t3v3

Well I know how the rest of the world would answer that, but I suppose it's not very "Canadian" of me to even think about it.

My point is, there are other jobs that do not require you be in constant contact with the public. For a job that you are, you should be required to be able to speak English. Plain and simple man. If that makes me an asshole, well, so be it.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Because the owner is Chinese.
    Maybe he sucks at speaking Chinese

My Ride

It's not illegal to put the requirement that "clear spoken english" is a requirement of a job. I'm pretty sure that the company I work for wouldn't post ad's with that listed as a requirement if it was. AS for the comments about "bona fide" requirement. Who but the guy doing the hiring is competent to decide what is bona fide? If I want to hire a secretary with a british accent because I like the sound of it, then to me as the guy paying the bills, that's a bona fide requirement. Does that eliminate all the people that don't have an british accent, hell yes. But that's my requirement, and everyone else can go fuck themselves.

Now, there'd be the unwritten one like she has to have nice tit's and dress kindof trashy, but it'd be there. Does hooters have anything about a breast requirement in their job description for serving staff?

I'm also wondering where this "must speak chinese" came from. The ad clearly says mandarin and cantonese?
    Last edited by codetrap; 06-25-2010 at 10:52 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Silverado

^^^ you know, mandarin and cantonese as already discused in this thread, are comonly refered to as chinese.

You would be working on a "Yat bo che"

haha! I'm learning cantonese, why don't you do it?

My Ride

@ Dirtsniffer.. yeah, I just saw a bunch of debate around it which was kindof stupid, since it's a moot point in the first place.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: speaking Chinese

Originally posted by codetrap
    It's not illegal to put the requirement that "clear spoken english" is a requirement of a job. I'm pretty sure that the company I work for wouldn't post ad's with that listed as a requirement if it was.
    I never said "clear spoken english." Regardless, look on Calgaryshopjob.ca and check the entry level positions that an recently landed immigrant would be looking at. Do they say English is required?
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by dandia89

Do you understand the importance of immigration?

Why do you think the low paying jobs at fast food joints are staffed with immigrants? Someone has to do these jobs. Are you gonna do it?
    While there are skilled immigrants, it's a fact that many if not most 1st gen immigrants end up working at labour jobs. That's how the system works. Then 2nd gen gets the chance to get education and get better jobs.

You should be thankful about this.

Well I know how the rest of the world would answer that, but I suppose it's not very "Canadian" of me to even think about it.

My point is, there are other jobs that do not require you be in constant contact with the public. For a job that you are, you should be required to be able to speak English. Plain and simple man. If that makes me an asshole, well, so be it.
    That's why people with language barriar works at places that don't demand too much public relations. Yes, I would be annoyed if I call up a call center and deal with language barriar. But what's the big deal if you're at Subway ordering food?

The point I was trying to make is for people to understand and tolerate the people with language disability while you may disagree. Yes, these people should try their darnest to learn English but sometimes the circumstances just doesn't allow them.

If you were to go to France, how would you feel if you get bashed for not knowing French without giving you some time to pick up the language? I've heard French people are rude to people who don't attempt to speak their language in their country; and we turn around and call them assholes for it. English speakers seem to be just as selfabsorbed as the French.

There isn't much you can do about the 1st generation immigrants being FOBs. They'd likely be FOBs for the rest of their lives.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I see your point and people may be like that. However if I was going to work in Germany, I'd sure as shit would not wing it when I got there. I'd be studying my ass off to know as much as of the language beforehand; it's being responsible. I realize some may not have that choice, but honestly their pool of jobs should be just as limited.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against immigration in the least. However, it is very frustrating when someone isn't willing to learn the culture or language of the country they expect to be giving them a new life.
    Ultracrepidarian

Most of the rest of the world has the same thing in entry level positions. Everyone mentions that if they went to work in a foreign country they'd be expected to know the langauge. That is because they assume they would be getting similar jobs to what they have here in Canada, which actually do require speaking the native language well in order to get anything done* (engineering, banking, sales, etc). No one ever imagines they will go to China to work in a factory or cook fries.

*This also assumes that you aren't being brought in to work by a multinational company. Those that are rarely speak the language. Ask some of the people who go to Dubai how much of the native language they've picked up while there.

Two things to keep in mind when bitching about service in fast food restaurants:

1. If you really want to bitch, bitch at the owners who hire these people. It's not like immigrants force their way into these jobs. The owners hire them because they are cheap and scared to get fired and thus will work fast.

2. Where I live right now most of the fast food places are staffed by white Canadians. It's worse than dealing with people who can't speak english. You have to repeat your order anyways because they aren't paying attention, and then they slowly meander their way through the process because they are lazy stupid pieces of shit.

tl;dr You get what you pay for.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Antonito I agree with most of what you're saying there. However working in a factory and cooking fries don't really require you to be in contact with the public like, say, working as a cashier at the Safeway.

1) Agreed 100%.

2) I know what you're getting at but this has to do more with work ethic than language barriers.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: speaking Chinese

I never said "clear spoken english." Regardless, look on Calgaryshopjob.ca and check the entry level positions that an recently landed immigrant would be looking at. Do they say English is required?
    Sorry man. I didn't mean to quote you directly. I wasn't even really responding to you. LOL.

Anyways, I can't comment on what a recently landed immigrant would look at, since I have no frame of reference there.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast