Quantcast
Keeping my civic ( 1994 Ej1 ) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping my civic ( 1994 Ej1 )

My Ride
    05 Forester X

Default Keeping my civic ( 1994 Ej1 )

Okay everybody, well i have gone through some tough financial trouble, and not being able to mod my car due to worrying about money, i can now sleep easy at night knowing i am done with all that, well and nobody would buy my car because i am asking to much, but its my baby, and i don't just wanna let go for nothin. = )
    Well, its been a year and i am now ready to start.

So a little about what i would like to do. I recently spent the day watching the auto-x event at deerfoot mall, and was very disapointed that i didn't register, and that my car was a pos and would probably fail hardcore. So i want to build my car as a fun auto-x car that handles nice, and has enough power to have fun with. I realize auto-x is about the driver, not the car/power, so i want to improve my driving skills aswell as improve the peformance of my car. if anyone would like to comment on my mod list, go ahead and PLEASE give me tips and everything.
    So, to start.

Mods

Suspension:
    Neuspeed Springs
    Del Sol Rims w/ Shitty tires (14x6.0)

Engine:
    D16Z6
    Megan Racing Drift Spec Exhaust
    No Name Short Ram Intake

Stereo:
    Alpine Type S Speakers
    Unknown 12'' Sub/Amp Combo

So, i am going to be looking at getting:

Rota GT3 16x7 in Gold
    w/ 185/45/r16 tires, with a little stretch, hopefully.
    Or might aswell just go with a 205/45/r16 ... thoughts?

Skunk2 Pro-S Coilovers

B series swap, possibly B18b, or a b16a, whichever is avaliable when i have the money, i would like something with a big of torque so don't have to rev to get up to speed and everything, remember it is for autocross.

FORFUN:
    Sidemarkers
    Fogs
    Type R rear lip
    Mugen Front Lip

And im also looking at picking up a Megan Test Pipe and going to wait on the header, seeing as i may swap the engine.

Thanks guys, i know i make alot of these, but now i'm prepared to take a step farther seeing as i have a reason to build my car.

-Chase

ps. Please comment and tell me what you think, tips are appreciated.

Pictures/Videos

ALSO: I plan on wrapping the hood and trunk in 3m Di-Noc Carbon Fibre material.

EDITS:
    So, planning on picking the coilovers up tomorrow, July 2nd
    Decided on a 205/40R16 and am going to keep my eyes out for used rims, and if none come, going to order new.
    Going to get some new brakes and change fluid, "anyone got a write up on how to bleed them?", and hopefully ill be set for my first autocross event.
    I hope my engine holds up.
    Last edited by Nissan_Fanboy; 07-02-2010 at 01:06 AM.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

If you're truly serious about auto-x/track, all you need to invest in is a good set of tires and a proper alignment, maybe a rear swaybar. Set aside some funds for stuff breaking and needing replacing, because if you plan on driving your car hard, it's inevitable that you'll need to do this, especially for an older car.

My Ride
    05 Forester X

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
    If you're truly serious about auto-x/track, all you need to invest in is a good set of tires and a proper alignment. Set aside some funds for stuff breaking and needing replacing, because if you plan on driving your car hard, it's inevitable that you'll need to do this, especially for an older car.
    Yes i plan on having a reserve of money, but its going to be a weekend fun thing, not like every event. I just want to have a purpose to buy all this stuff, and not just to be cool, but yes my main priority is suspension setup and a good set of tires, plus some nice looking rims.
    I want it to be a useful auto-x car, PLUS a reliable daily driver aswell, but i am planning on stuff breaking, i will try to have a 1000 reserve of money at all times.
    Pay cheque to pay cheque my money will grow = )

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Here's what I'd do.

Performance Street Tires:

If you're sure you're never going to drive hard in the rain, a set of Kumho XS should be reasonably priced in your size. These grip good in dry conditions and have a higher tread rating than some of the more expensive tires (Direzza Star Spec, RE-11, etc). Do not run a stretch tire unless you actually need to for clearance or if you want it for looks. Do not drive on a stretch tire for spirited or aggressive driving.

Wheels:

Pretty much anything goes to your taste. Since you're on a budget, a replica wheel of a wheel you like should suffice. Good choice on the Rotas.

Suspension:

Buddyclub N+ are really good for the application you're looking for and are one of the best bang for buck entry-level coilovers.

Brakes:

Upgrade your brake fluids and pads.

That's all you'll need. Don't waste money on bolt-on power adders that really won't add alot of power, and knowing you will probably swap in the future.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Originally posted by Nissan_Fanboy
    i would like something with a big of torque so don't have to rev to get up to speed and everything, remember it is for autocross.
    Then why are you looking at B16s? :P

You've got a perfectly good (I'm assuming its in decent shape) D16 right there. I have some things for sale you might be interested in... Cheap.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

IF your current D16 is toast... Then B18B swap and boost.

My Ride
    05 Forester X

Originally posted by Sentry

Then why are you looking at B16s? :P

You've got a perfectly good (I'm assuming its in decent shape) D16 right there. I have some things for sale you might be interested in... Cheap.
    Yeah, i could always use the D, but i'm afraid its gunna blow or something, it burns a bit of oil, gotta top it up with a litre every once and awhile, it scares me man.
    But yeah, PM me with some parts you have that i could use.
    I kindof feel like putting new rings and replacing the seals, but i honestly have no experience nor the facility or tools to do so.

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
    Here's what I'd do.

Performance Street Tires:

If you're sure you're never going to drive hard in the rain, a set of Kumho XS should be reasonably priced in your size. These grip good in dry conditions and have a higher tread rating than some of the more expensive tires (Direzza Star Spec, RE-11, etc). Do not run a stretch tire unless you actually need to for clearance or if you want it for looks. Do not drive on a stretch tire for spirited or aggressive driving.

Wheels:

Pretty much anything goes to your taste. Since you're on a budget, a replica wheel of a wheel you like should suffice. Good choice on the Rotas.

Suspension:

Buddyclub N+ are really good for the application you're looking for and are one of the best bang for buck entry-level coilovers.

Brakes:

Upgrade your brake fluids and pads.

That's all you'll need. Don't waste money on bolt-on power adders that really won't add alot of power, and knowing you will probably swap in the future.
    Alright, ill have to look into those tires.
    I'm looking for more of a cheaper coilover, the buddyclub ones are a little out of my price range, there are Skunk2 Pro-S Coilovers on here for 450 im going to pickup hopefully tomorrow, and as for breaks, you don't think i need to upgrade or anything?

And i love the rota gt3's = ) especially since i can get all for landed at my house for under 650. then i just need tires.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....5EXS&tab=Sizes
    Last edited by Nissan_Fanboy; 06-28-2010 at 06:50 PM.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Oh if it's burning that much then don't boost it. You won't break anything but it will only make any existing blowby problems worse.

Get a B18B and boost that.

My Ride
    05 Forester X

Originally posted by Sentry
    IF your current D16 is toast... Then B18B swap and boost.
    its not really toast, i just don't have much faith in it to tell you the truth.
    Burns too much oil, but i really don't feel like paying JDM source 2500 for a b16a SiR Swap

yeah, now to just find a good enough b18.

My Ride
    TDi

Wth no ep3
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

pro-s are GARBAGE. DO NOT BUY if you want to auto-x. Save your money and get Pro-c's

My Ride
    05 Forester X

Originally posted by 403ep3
    Wth no ep3
    can't afford it man, got hit with a huge bill,
    thankfully im done now with the debt crisis,

and about the pro-s, for 450? is it really that bad ?
    won't they be suffiscient for now ?
    I don't really need anything too extensive.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

do not do it. save your money, do it right the first time.

My Ride
    05 Forester X

Originally posted by eglove
    do not do it. save your money, do it right the first time.
    whats so bad about them.
    there probably alot better than my setup i have now.
    just springs?
    i don't really care about the ride of them.
    as long as i can raise and lower and have a stiffness adjustment

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

stiffness adjustment is a joke, they are so bouncy. they bottom out constantly. they are just not worth it. save a paycheque and get something else. the buddy clubs that zeeshan has for sale are a much better deal

My Ride
    05 Forester X

Originally posted by eglove
    stiffness adjustment is a joke, they are so bouncy. they bottom out constantly. they are just not worth it. save a paycheque and get something else. the buddy clubs that zeeshan has for sale are a much better deal
    he sold them dude, if i had known he was selling i would have gotten them.
    But i really jsut need something that i can adjust, but i don't wanna wear out my tires, should i look into a camber kit ?

or should i really just say fuck it and just get rims and tires?

all the reviews say they are a good buy if you don't mind stiff coilovers, which i don't really mind, as long as my back doesn't get sore, haha.
    but like i said, im not looking to be doing track and autox constantly, just on the side and have a car that can compete.
    i dont need anything prepped for race, just something adjustable.
    if i was to get them, should i pick up a camber kit aswell ?

EDIT: looking at reviews, i see they are a bitch on rough roads, and calgary roads and pretty fucking rough,
    i may wait a bit, save up. in the meantime ill look at rims and tires
    Last edited by Nissan_Fanboy; 06-28-2010 at 07:57 PM.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

My friend has D2 coilovers and theyre not too bad. You can adjust them so theyre softer on the street, but stiff as hell on the track.

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    93 GC8

I was actually thinking about almost the exact same thing to my car as you were thinking. B series swap, skunk2 pro s (heard they were good actually, but it seems to be a very two sided argument) and some nicer rims/tires. But I weighed out the costs and fun factor, and I've almost fully decided to just sell and build something with more potential. Like an r32 or some such thing. But do whatever it is you want to. I'm sure with the right setup yours could be a great little auto-xer. Like Mr. Et's

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

i think you all have the pro-S and pro-C confused.

pro-S(UCK)
    pro-C(OMPETITION)

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

cheap brake upgrade:

find some 94+ integra calipers they have larger pistons, should bolt right onto your 94 knuckle. also swap out the teg 40/40 prop valve, master cylinder and brake booster. stainless steel brake lines to top it off. *if youre non-abs use the RS trim.

just did it on my EG and huge difference, but the larger booster and mc played a big part as well dont just do calipers. just do a search on honda-tech to find out specifics. good luck with your build
    Last edited by v2kai; 06-28-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast