Quantcast
Westjet lost a dog... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Westjet lost a dog...

Poor puppy, super cute too. Probably scared shitless with the flights landing all the time. Lots of grass and rabbits for it to chase though in the back fields.

Hopefully the find it soon, if it gets across deerfoot and into my area I will keep an eye out. Hopefully a coyote doesnt get in.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I hope its ok. And I hope they find it before this evening, as I am flying overseas tonight and hope for no magor delays.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

you guys are all saying this is westjet's fault that they lost the dog etc

did no one read the :

We are informed by the aiport authorities that the bottom of the kennel fell.
    that to me sounds like the kennel had deteriorated to the point that it fell apart , the dog got out and being freaked out as it was already, took off on the ramp. YYC Airport Authority will find it, they find the smallest nests of insignifiant birds/rodents with daily patrols in the red trucks, ATC is also constantly looking into their binocs or w/e as well 24 hrs a day, unlike here at YBW ( ) , YYC is a gated and guarded facility, only ways in really are terminals and the AMO's (maintenance facilities) that surround it.

Originally posted by n1zm0
    you guys are all saying this is westjet's fault that they lost the dog etc
    You didn't read my posts then, but thanks for the backup. People are retards and they don't read, and just call me out for being an insta douche.

My Ride

The dog was most likely accidentally killed, its just easier to say we lost your dog. If he was on the airport grounds he would have been spotted running around by now.

That said, if you really care about your pet, you wouldn't subject them to traveling like that.

Originally posted by 5hift
    The dog was most likely accidentally killed, its just easier to say we lost your dog. If he was on the airport grounds he would have been spotted running around by now.

That said, if you really care about your pet, you wouldn't subject them to traveling like that.
    Reading > you. They already said they saw it crossing the runway.

God dammit, have peoples reading comprehension skills, or just their attention spans for reading, gone out the window (not just you 5hift, lots of people in this thread are jumping all over the place)?
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by scat330
    You didn't read my posts then, but thanks for the backup. People are retards and they don't read, and just call me out for being an insta douche.
    i dont know if i want to be backing you up on most of your posts these days scat but it's the jumping the gun to constantly blame on the airline for stuff like this or moreso things out of their control..

out of their control: like the gdamned volcano in Iceland ffs, the whole of western europe and north america yelling, kicking and screaming at the airlines cause they couldn't get to wherever they needed to go because... no one understands that volcanic ash is highly fken detrimental to turbine engines and this was all done on the precaution of safety for the passengers and what limitations the manufacturer and governing authority has issued, or when your A/C is delayed because of weather, sure they can fly in that storm at the potential risk of killing hundreds of ppl when that 737 weather-cocks just after take-off rotation and crashes upside down.

but again, the dog will be found one way or another, if there is an incident, it will be let known to the public probably by transport canada or the TSB, which is worst case scenario which we don't hope for.

edit: which reminds me of whenever theres a coyote on the runway here at CYBW, Airport authority never does anything about it because it's useless to chase down an agile animal like that with a truck, they usually just shut down that runway or tell pilots to be aware, but YYC is MUCH busier, so idk how they'd make amends
    Last edited by n1zm0; 06-30-2010 at 03:34 PM.

My Ride
    CBR 929

That is what the "airport authorities" say, I doubt anyone will ever know what really happened. Perhaps Westjet should better inspect the kennels they accept before flying dogs, perhaps an employee assumed because the dog was small they could pick the kennel up and move it by the roof, maybe they dropped the crate and it broke apart.. the truth is, when anything gets lost at the airport or on an airline, nobody knows how the fuck it happened or who was at fault. Do you work for Westjet? Because you are taking a lot of offense to this...regardless it is known that service levels in all airlines are severely lacking and that the majority of airlines are not animal-friendly in terms of flying.

I would like to assume when I fly my dog it is treated better than a suitcase as it is a living animal, but the reality is that this is just a heavy awkward item that someone has to load into a plane and they will only see him for 3-4 minutes at most. Just another piece of cargo...

Everything in a suitcase is replaceable, and if it isn't you should carry it on. Obviously with animals you do not have the option of taking them as carry on luggage and can only leave them in the care of airline employees.

And you shouldn't assume the dog will be found, although there is fencing around the airport it does have holes in it..... The whippet I mentioned that was lost at JFK was never found despite searching for months and having many spottings. I believe the airline settled with the owners, somehow the crate door in that case opened while they were loading the dog on the plane, but of course, nobody knows how.... that dog was owned by very savvy dog show people who bred top winning dogs... I can guarantee they didn't ship the dog in a busted crate and the airline STILL lost the dog.

Will I still fly Westjet, probably. Will I ship my dog with them? Maybe, but then again I try to avoid flying him all together when I can. Shit happens, and the dog just happened to be in the care of Westjet at the time it was lost.
    Last edited by bignerd; 06-30-2010 at 03:45 PM.

[url]

Originally posted by bignerd
    That is what the "airport authorities" say, I doubt anyone will ever know what really happened. Perhaps Westjet should better inspect the kennels they accept before flying dogs, perhaps an employee assumed because the dog was small they could pick the kennel up and move it by the roof, maybe they dropped the crate and it broke apart.. the truth is, when anything gets lost at the airport or on an airline, nobody knows how the fuck it happened or who was at fault. Do you work for Westjet? Because you are taking a lot of offense to this...regardless it is known that service levels in all airlines are severely lacking and that the majority of airlines are not animal-friendly in terms of flying.

I would like to assume when I fly my dog it is treated better than a suitcase as it is a living animal, but the reality is that this is just a heavy awkward item that someone has to load into a plane and they will only see him for 3-4 minutes at most. Just another piece of cargo...

Everything in a suitcase is replaceable, and if it isn't you should carry it on. Obviously with animals you do not have the option of taking them as carry on luggage and can only leave them in the care of airline employees.
    Like I said, your instant soccer-mom approach to blaming everyone but the owner is just fucking funny.

Where are you getting your points from? What points are you countering with your post?

Who said they dropped it? Why assume htis? Who said that it IS treated like a piece of cargo?

Get real bud, wake up and smell the coffee.

The owner should of made sure the kennel was in tip top shape. When I was a shipper/receiver back in the day, you saw a crate that was fucked, you fixed it first. Don't say, oh well, that'll get there one more time.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Just as I blame the airline you have immeadiatley blamed the owners assuming from the statement "the bottom of the crate fell out" that they shipped the dog in some busted up, old kennel.

The fact is, neither of us saw the kennel. It could of been brand new and in perfect working order for all you know. The bottom falling out could mean many things, the plastic actually gave way from the weight of the dog, the entire half of the kennel seperated from the top half etc...

Having seen dogs transported to the tarmac in the trucks and carts used to move luggage, and having seen them loaded into the cargo bay of an aircraft on the same belts and ramps that move luggage up to the aircraft, I can safely say they are treated like cargo. You are basing your information and opinion on your experience as a "shipper/receiver" and I am basing mine on flying many dogs many times over the years.

I highly doubt if they did drop the kennel or if something happened during the loading, they are going to tell the owners "we dropped your crate and the dog ran away" or own up to it. I believe the story will be in the paper tomorrow, perhaps more information or pictures of the kennel will be released then.

Again, if the kennel was in poor enough shape to "fall apart" then Westjet should of declined the dog for shipment.

[url]

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Animals ARE cargo. Yeah it sucks that your package was damaged and the contents lost, but it's just a fucking dog. I'd be pissed if my bag busted open and my undies blew away, but I don't think I'd go to the news about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    kryptonian meteorite

Originally posted by scat330

you reap what you sow right? cause im sure you never came off as a d bag before.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That dog is either scared shitless or having the time of its life
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by n1zm0
    [B YYC Airport Authority will find it, they find the smallest nests of insignifiant birds/rodents with daily patrols in the red trucks, ATC is also constantly looking into their binocs or w/e as well 24 hrs a day, unlike here at YBW ( ) , YYC is a gated and guarded facility, only ways in really are terminals and the AMO's (maintenance facilities) that surround it. [/B]

Airport Authority isn't even looking for it. I flagged one of them down a couple hours ago while I was working on my plane, and asked if they'd found the dog yet, and he didn't know wtf I was talking about, and had been on shift since 7am.

There's also TONS of spots the dog could get under the fence, if it isn't already coyote food.

What a shitty start to a marriage. I feel bad for everyone involved.

My Ride
    MDX

It is the dog owner's responsibility to ensure that the kennel they are travelling with is suitable. Check in agents check dimensions and weights of suitcases and luggage, they are not there for quality control. If you have the money to have a dog, spend some to get a kennel that is safe to travel with.

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Animals ARE cargo. Yeah it sucks that your package was damaged and the contents lost, but it's just a fucking dog. I'd be pissed if my bag busted open and my undies blew away, but I don't think I'd go to the news about it.
    Very Cunty of you. Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but no you heartless son of a bitch, it is NOT just an animal. Animals (especially dogs) are part of peoples lives in a major way. Animals give more respect than it seems you are capable of. (judging by your view on what you probably think is food.)

It's nice to see someone put more value on their panties than they would a living, caring, loved creature.

I would absolutely lose it if this happened to me. Definitely tough to do the right thing. Mind you, IF I ever shipped my dog, the Canadian Military would have a hard time getting in the damn kennel. "The bottom fell out" Awesome!!

It could legitimately be either way. Airline mis-handling or Owner neglect. It just seems odd that the Airport Authority as well as potentially Transport Canada (if they even get involved in this stuff) would be taking a huge risk by carrying out a continuous lie regarding the situation. It would be way worse publicity if the lie got cracked, as opposed to just admitting something happened to the dog.

I'm probably due for -1% for my awesome view towards Extraslows comments. (fitting screen name really)

SCAT- You are like the annoying twat of a little brother to the long term members sometimes. Your posts used to get me itching to make a comment, (and I have) but I have learned over your long time on Beyond and various bannings within that time, that it's just better to sit back and watch you defend yourself or just say more silly shit. The entertainment you provide by winding people up on here and stepping back to watch them unravel, all the while throwing the odd poke during said unravelling, is sometimes awesome.
    Last edited by Kona9; 06-30-2010 at 05:32 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by Cos

Reading > you. They already said they saw it crossing the runway.

Naive = You

You are going to take the word of a bag smasher who supposedly dropped the crate.

The only reason I even thought the dog was dead before landing was because I remember reading an article about the exact same thing happening multiple times involving Delta. Either way, even if that's not the case, while I hope they find her, she`s probably dead now.

Here we go, the bitchfest Beyond is known for. If only I was in control of the BAN button....

Mods need to rule this fest with an iron hand.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

George Carlin

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Originally posted by kamakurakid
    Here we go, the bitchfest Beyond is known for. If only I was in control of the BAN button....

Mods need to rule this fest with an iron hand.
    Sure thing 89%

Have you found any other non "slow" forums yet?

So we could blame the owner, blame Westjet, blame the pet store that sold the crate and the crates manufacturer....

Or sometimes, shit just happens.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast