Quantcast
Android Phones - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Android Phones

My Ride
    IS350

Default Android Phones

What Android phones are you guys running and what are your thoughts? I've been a BBerry user for years but I'm getting tired of the interface, the slowness and horrible apps...

Where are you finding these phones for sale (ie. Nexus One, Incredible, etc.?)

Thanks in advance!

My Ride
    Sentra

I have a Nexus One. It's still about the fastest one out there, and it's the only one that officially has the latest and greatest version of Android. It will likely be the case moving forward and that would be the case of any other Google phones. I bought mine right from Google.com/phone

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I have htc dream.
    I like android. But the first OS is slow and the dream does not support updates unless you root.
    I love my solid keyboard and I won't be giving this up anytime soon.

I also own an iPod touch and I like the android more. Sure it's slow at times but not that much slower. And there's so many apps that are opensource which makes it cool. There's literally like 10+ apps to customize how messaging looks. Even though I ended up going with Handsent which has the iPhone interface clone, handsent also has the popup similar to an iPhone push but you can instantly reply within the popup.
    Also, widgets are unbeatable. I have one to toggle wifi, another for gps, brightness, even my security code for when I'm at home.

Android lets you pick what your phone looks like. Whereas iPhone has what 4 phones which are identical? (2g, 3g, 3gs, useless 4). Even blackberry you're limited to same shape unless you go pearl/pearl-flip.

Plus. Android is implenting swype.

Still wishing for some bbm equivalent though.
    Last edited by jwslam; 07-01-2010 at 11:59 PM.

My Ride
    Sentra

Tell me more about the security code for your house? Is there a security company that has a compatible app to arm/disarm your house? Or is this something custom you are talking about?

My Ride
    S14|TB1

i'm thinking of getting an android OS phone soon, knowing that greedy apple will most likely never get flash (cloudbrowse app is just too damned restrictive) and as slow as it seems to be with the current firmware updates that i've read - it can only get better right?

that is all i want on my smartphone lol FLASH!

hope i can find apps from iphone like IPcam (so i can watch my wireless security cameras at home).

edit, nvm found one! http://hit-mob.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18

now might have to really start looking into getting one
    Last edited by n1zm0; 07-02-2010 at 09:21 AM.

My Ride
    Hatred

I'm getting a Nexus one. Just have to figure out how to sneak it into the house. The fiance doesn't understand my new phone every couple months thing I have going.
    -U

I own a nexus one and i love it. I purchased it right from google when they had them for sale. There was rumors that they were going to stop online sales but i dont know for sure if this happened.

If you must have one now i would go with the nexus. If you can wait a few more months i would. There are going to be some heavy hitters coming in the fall. Android has also said that it plans on releasing gingerbread by the holidays. Which i assume will mean google will release another phone (like the they did with the nexus)
    Last edited by spike98; 07-02-2010 at 11:38 AM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by GoChris
    Tell me more about the security code for your house? Is there a security company that has a compatible app to arm/disarm your house? Or is this something custom you are talking about?
    Sorry I guess I wasn't clear on that lol.
    I set a security code on my phone. It's annoying when I'm at home and continually have to enter it, so there's a widget to one-click turn that on and off.

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by spike98
    Android has also said that it plans on releasing gingerbread by the holidays. Which i assume will mean google will release another phone (like the they did with the nexus)
    I don't think they said that at all. It was a rumor.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/01/a...rbread-rumors/

My mistake...i should have said rumor. But still a very believable one.

http://androidandme.com/2010/06/news/gingerbread/

My Ride
    Grimace

I have a HTC Legend. I am liking android sofar with all of the features and apps, especially seeing how I didnt want an iphone. Sofar, I have android 2.1, but froyo is supposedly coming out for the legend soon. It is one of the slower android phones though now as it doesent have snapdragon so I will probably end up getting something new when gingerbread comes out.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Would love to get my hands on a Nexus One. But seeing Droid X, EVO and Incredible have me looking forward to the next next version of Nexus.

My Ride
    IS350

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Would love to get my hands on a Nexus One. But seeing Droid X, EVO and Incredible have me looking forward to the next next version of Nexus.
    That's what I've been thinking too...I was reading the reviews for the Droid X. I'd like something that won't be outdated next month so I might hold out for a bit.

It's disappointing carriers don't have a better selection. You're being forced to buy third-party if you want a better variety of phones. I'm with Rogers and none of their Android phones interest me.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Anyone know if canada will be getting the motorla droid version with the keyboard?
    For the last few years I loved blackberry. But recently I've checked out other phones specifically the samsung galaxy, it makes the blackberry look so ghetto. I might miss the bbm messenger (one of the only reasons why I still own a berry) but everything else is making me want to leave blackberry.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by 4doorj
    Anyone know if canada will be getting the motorla droid version with the keyboard?
    For the last few years I loved blackberry. But recently I've checked out other phones specifically the samsung galaxy, it makes the blackberry look so ghetto. I might miss the bbm messenger (one of the only reasons why I still own a berry) but everything else is making me want to leave blackberry.

That is the Milestone on Telus here, been out for almost a year now..

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/motorola_milestone/

There is already a Droid 2, Droid X in the US, not sure if we are getting it. Bell is getting the Desire Z (HTC G2).

http://androidandme.com/2010/10/phon...arly-november/

http://desirez.bell.ca/
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 11-01-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Originally posted by 4doorj
    If you mean the original droid, we've had it for quite a while now. It's called the Motorola Milestone here. I bought it back in the spring/summer and it's been great so far; no problems I can think of other than Motorola is a cockbag company.

For Canada and other regions that have the Motorola Milestone they locked the bootloader down so putting roms on is a pain in the ass (may not be possible still, I haven't checked in a while). You can still root it with a bit of trickery though.

Also, Motorola is being a lazy pile of crap in getting the 2.2 update out to Milestone users and it seems like Canada won't get it until Q1 2011.

Edit: damn, got beat to it :P

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Yeah sorry I mean droid 2, the one I see in all the commercials. Must be the droid X.
    Sorry I dont know anything about the droid phones. It's all new to me.

Chris,

I again just a rumor but check this!

http://androidandme.com/2010/11/news...d-coming-soon/

haha i think i may have called it! We'll know more on the 8th (or 11th)

My Ride
    X100 | A80

HTC Desire here, after rooting and just putting on a solid custom OS this has been the best phone I've ever had. Storm was the worst, wait, that was the omnia.
    Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

Desire Z looks sick,14.4 mb/s download speed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast